Note to New Members ×

Soft Board Bindings

Toodles

I tried the Flow NX2-GT bindings for a season and found that they weren't for me.

Any other suggestions for a good soft board carving binding?  The Burton Genesis looks interesting.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Burtons or suggestions for other \bindings?

Thanks

@Toodles,

I would not recommend the Burtons or any binding using micro disks due to the amount of baseplate flex in the bindings...if you like soft, then ok, but if you want medium to stiff bindings, stay away from all of the above.

With that said, if you want super stiff, I would highly recommend Flux XV or medium-stiff Flux XF. Also Drake (if you can find them) Podium or Radar are really good too...on the Union side I would say Forged Force (super stiff), Force (medium) and Atlas (Medium-stiff)...I like the feel and position of the ankle strap on the Atlas better than the force, but the Atlas highback is a little on the soft side for me.

Hope that helps...

On 10/22/2019 at 8:45 PM, Toodles said:

I tried the Flow NX2-GT bindings for a season and found that they weren't for me.

Any other suggestions for a good soft board carving binding?  The Burton Genesis looks interesting.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Burtons or suggestions for other \bindings?

Thanks

I switched from Burton Genesis X to Now O-Drive and I would do it again.  Stiffer and more responsive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Toodles said:

I've heard of the O-drive's, but have never seen them in stores anywhere near me.

They are sold online on many sites.  I got mine as new old stock (NOS) for a good price from rei.com.

15 minutes ago, Toodles said:

Does Donek sell any soft board bindings?

What does their website say?

On 10/23/2019 at 7:49 AM, svr said:

The Union side I would say Forged Force (super stiff), Force (medium) and Atlas (Medium-stiff)...I like the feel and position of the ankle strap on the Atlas better than the force, but the Atlas highback is a little on the soft side for me.

Id stay away from union to be honest.... there disks are highly prone to cracking and failing if you ride hard and the Union atlas, force and ultra all suffer from the chassis over flexing allowing ice to form under the heel between the board and the base of the binding. I wouldnt recomend there carbon fiber offering either as the qualitly control and finish on there carbon really isnt that great either 😕

I dont think anyone has had experience of them on this forum yet so im planning to take one for the team and give karakoram connect - ci' s ago fingers crossed theyll dethrone my rome targa's in terms of durability 🙂

5 hours ago, Jack M said:

They are sold online on many sites.  I got mine as new old stock (NOS) for a good price from rei.com.

What does their website say?

Looks like Donek only sells split board bindings.  I thought they might carry something to go with there soft boards.

Burton rules the roost at NorAm and World Cup SBX races. The reason? Parts availability and rider support. Call up the Rider Hotline and they'll express ship you replacement parts usually at no charge. Break or lose a part in Kazakhstan or Portillo? No problem. The local shop will have the part.

IMO, soft boot bindings have to be just good enough. There's nothing magical about one brand to the next. 

16 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

I've had success with Rome Targas, Ride El Hefes, and Burton Diodes. All super responsive and durable...but then I really love stiff bindings, that also give me the ankle flex and fine control that Flows didn't.

Looks like the Burton Diodes have been replaced with the X-Base?  They look like there is no forward lean mechanism on them..

The Burton Genesis looks interesting, but I'm not sure what to think about that mesh hammock attached at the back of the binding, looks like it would compress on a heel side turn and not be stable.. I have not seen them in person, that's just from what I see on the Burton website.     

1 hour ago, Toodles said:

The Burton Genesis looks interesting, but I'm not sure what to think about that mesh hammock attached at the back of the binding, looks like it would compress on a heel side turn and not be stable.. I have not seen them in person, that's just from what I see on the Burton website.  

They're a very good binding.  I bought mine from a friend who runs the Burton store at Sugarloaf.  I knew nothing about current softboot gear when I got them so I just asked my friend what's the carviest binding you got and he said this is what you need.  The mesh doohickey is a non-factor.  Actually mine are for sale if you're interested.  PM me if so.

I will add my thoughts on the Burton Genesis as well.
Probably the most comfy binding I have ever used. I just ordered up another pair for this season. I ride them on all mountain and BX boards, and with forward lean, they carve well for me. I ride pretty wide boards now days, so the heel cup doesn't cause boot out but might be a factor on narrower boards. I have come to like the flex of them and haven't broke any parts on these. 

Slightly OT here but that picture makes me think...

Can you modify a binding so it holds your boot better laterally? (probably yes)

Would this allow you to ride at hardboot angles on hardboot boards? (probably no)

Probably scary but I'm tempted to try that out 😄

I'm using Ride El Hefe's x2 boards. 

Great product. Parts easy available as things breaks in less than a day. Great cants and rigidity with simple design. 

Would gladly try else also. Always looking for something better. 

Tried it on more than 20 snowboards in the past 2-3 years. Crazy MOFO I know. 

Glad to post back on the forum.  Hope everyone is happy good and ready for an awesome season. Enjoy in the best of health. 

Edited by Poloturbo

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, Jack M said:

I switched from Burton Genesis X to Now O-Drive and I would do it again.  Stiffer and more responsive.

@Jack M any updates on how you like your O-drives? 

I got a pair of Jones Apollo and a pair of Genesis X and am trying to decide which to keep.

Rode the Genesis X already both with PowerPlates and by themselves and I must say that I am pleased with their performance more than I thought I would be, but I had to max out the forward lean on both bindings to make them work how I wanted them.

cheers,

sandy