Note to New Members ×

Soft Board Bindings

Toodles

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Look forward to your torture testing @scottishsurfer

I like mine; solid chassis and beefy baseplate, but their splity roots mean the straps may be to minimalist for some. They run small too, so size up if in doubt.

If the ankle strap isnt up to it ill just stick the targa one on them 🙂. It's the large i got since i run 11s and prefer the sensation of being in bindings rather than on them so all my bindings are L or XL. Pretty excited to be honest, hoping they turn up at house before i leave the USA and head home.

Is it the CI ones you have lurch?

Edited by scottishsurfer

15 hours ago, svr said:

@Jack M any updates on how you like your O-drives? 

I got a pair of Jones Apollo and a pair of Genesis X and am trying to decide which to keep.

Rode the Genesis X already both with PowerPlates and by themselves and I must say that I am pleased with their performance more than I thought I would be, but I had to max out the forward lean on both bindings to make them work how I wanted them.

cheers,

sandy

Suffice to say I like them better than the Genesis X, but the GX were good too.  On the Nows, it's a must to reverse the back foot toe strap so the buckle doesn't catch and break off on a deep toeside.  I have not tried Flows or any sb bindings with a metal baseplate so I don't have a lot to compare to.  Very happy with the Nows though.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, Jack M said:

Suffice to say I like them better than the Genesis X, but the GX were good too.  On the Nows, it's a must to reverse the back foot toe strap so the buckle doesn't catch and break off on a deep toeside.  I have not tried Flows or any sb bindings with a metal baseplate so I don't have a lot to compare to.  Very happy with the Nows though.

Same, not perfect but they function so well in some regards they’re worth the trade offs. 

On 11/30/2019 at 9:04 AM, scottishsurfer said:

Pulled the trigger on black Friday and bought the karakoram prime connect-ci so well see how they go 😁

On 11/30/2019 at 3:30 PM, Lurch said:

Yep CI. The L is a snug fit for my sz11 DriverX with the adjustment maxed out. The sender plates are a useful addition if you hike a bit.

I'm interested in the Karakoram bindings so anything you guys can share about how they perform would be awesome.

To be clear, I didn't buy them as a carve focussed binding (I have hardboots for that) - more used for hiking resort side/slack country with the bonus option to convert over to a split board if the bug bites. They seem solid.

Am interested to see how they stand up to what @scottishsurfer is about to subject them to 🙂

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Am interested to see how they stand up to what @scottishsurfer is about to subject them to 🙂

Well karakoram were fairly confident on Instagram when i asked so well see just how well they stand up to my somewhat unorthodox and highly aggressive style of riding. At the moment Rome targa's hold the record of about 3 months before something failed(broken disk).

Speaking of bindings... I have Flows (hybrid and normal), Burton Cartels and Salomon Quantum. 

Any idea which one of these is best at initiating toe side turns? I found that for my Saber with the Cartels it's really hard to roll it on to the toe edge. Would the Flow do better? I know I can move the binding forward but I don't want more overhang. I can also reduce the angle fo the front foot but that also feels wrong somehow.

Any ideas?

I keep going back and forth between my Nitro Phantom Carver (light, super comfy, average support) and Flow NX AT's (crazy stiff, heavy, painful).  I just cut the fusion strap into upper and lower pieces so I can adjust support better- we'll see how that works.  If your boot shape does not match the Flow fusion shape, it's never going to feel great.  

Spent a few hours on the karakoram bindings tonight intial impressions are very very encouraging they are easily the most responsive soft boot binding ive ridden and fortunately there appears to be 0 play in the connecting mechanisim and it seems to lock very securely.

The only couple of downside i found are the default forward lean angle of 12degrees is way to much so my front foot i generally run 0 forward lean on the front and about 12 on the back so it was half right. unfortunately adjusting the forward lean to anything other the defaults needs an allen key and a spanner/socket so i just grinned and bared it for my riding time.

The other little downside is the ratchets are very sticky and dont really want to slide closed instead i kind of put in the ladder and start ratcheting. The release of the ratchet is also kind of sticky and not so easy. Now i will say i have a sneaking feeling this is due to the teeth on the ladders being more pronounced and aggressive than whats on a normal soft boot binding. I have feeling this stickyness might in a way might be abit of long term benefit in terms of durability and strength which ill take any day over easy sliding but easily broken ratchets.

a bit more further set up and i have feeling the karakoram ci's will probably be right at the top of my list in terms of soft boot bindings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the tweaking of the binding set up to it fully dialed in and a bit more time spent on them all i can say is WOW the karakorams pretty much wipe the floor with every other soft boot binding ive tried in terms of stiffness and response. The response and support makes changing edges from tight low and slow carves significantly easier previously there was a delay as id move to change edge the bindings would flex to an extent before the board would move. With the much stiffer chassis of the karakorams there is no delay if i move the board moves. Also with a bit more use the ratchets are a tad more smooth now on and off as i had a feeling would be the case 😄

So in conclusion these bindings are very much living up to expectations so far 😄

On 10/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, Jack M said:

switched from Burton Genesis X to Now O-Drive and I would do it again.  Stiffer and more responsive.

Good choice..my friend bought the carbon back Now Recon.. Nice stuff... I'll be trying to get the O Drives as well... 

When that special finance project arrives... Oh do tell... 

The Ride El Hefe is still a great go to as it has two different canted foot beds that come with them..