Note to New Members ×

Soft Board Bindings

Toodles

9 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Good choice..my friend bought the carbon back Now Recon.. Nice stuff... I'll be trying to get the O Drives as well... 

When that special finance project arrives... Oh do tell... 

The Ride El Hefe is still a great go to as it has two different canted foot beds that come with them.. 

The Jones Apollo is the same as the NOW O-Drive and about $50 less.  Still $50 more than the El Hefe's though.  High-end soft binding are sure expensive.  

5 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Guess who just broke a quiver connector and ripped the binding Clean off the board....

You need better built boards... I suggest Donek. By far the most rugged and well built boards I've come across...

Edited by lonbordin

36 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

@lonbordin It was my donek incline i was riding. The quiver conector broke apart as i went from a toe edge carve into heel

HdtZ9ne.jpg

Sorry I thought quiver connector broke meant it pulled out of the inserts, my bad. 

Have you heard of our Lord and savior plate bindings? 😉 

Edited by lonbordin
Keep tearing it up!
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

The Jones Apollo is the same as the NOW O-Drive and about $50 less.  Still $50 more than the El Hefe's though.  High-end soft binding are sure expensive.  

@deuxdiesel, the Apollo is way softer than the O-Drive as I have both and here is the comment from Now/Jones:

“Thanks for reaching out! The Apollos are going to be the most like the Now Drives in flex and responsiveness. The O-Drives are a couple levels up in stiffness. The O-Drives are a 10/10 stiffness rating whereas the Apollos and Drives are more like an 8/10.“

Still good bindings, but the Apollo are just slightly stiffer than the Genesis X.

cheers,

sandy

7 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Guess who just broke a quiver connector and ripped the binding Clean off the board....

You are a beast! Just checked mine - the connector plate has a relief to create a pocket for the rear metal receivers & looks like yours broke at the thinnest point. Noted with thanks.

A beer for your troubles is on me.

20191227_054826.jpg

1 hour ago, svr said:

@deuxdiesel, the Apollo is way softer than the O-Drive as I have both and here is the comment from Now/Jones:

“Thanks for reaching out! The Apollos are going to be the most like the Now Drives in flex and responsiveness. The O-Drives are a couple levels up in stiffness. The O-Drives are a 10/10 stiffness rating whereas the Apollos and Drives are more like an 8/10.“

Still good bindings, but the Apollo are just slightly stiffer than the Genesis X.

cheers,

sandy

Good to know, thanks.  The info I got was incorrect.  I did hear back from PHK about their MIX bindings- about $600 USD plus shipping.  Yowza.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

I think the high back on the Jones is a little softer Vs the odrive but everything else is largely the same

Not quite...O-drive highback is weaved carbon fiber where Apollo is flax-carbon as you pointed out, also they have the same Hanger 2.0 design, but hanger on O-drive is pressed carbon fibre, Apollo is fiberglass reinforced plastic. Straps are different and buckles are different.

had a long conversation with Now/Jones rep about this as I thought they were very similar too, but when you ride them you can feel that they are very different and the O-drive is actually quite a bit stiffer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Can you compare the El Hefe's to the O Drive next please... 

@Shred Gruumer sadly I cannot as I have not ridden the El Hefe in a long time.

however, I did also acquire a pair of Flux XV bindings and as far as plastic/carbon softboot bindings go, they are the stiffest ones I think that I have ever used since the introduction of the 4x4 hole pattern.

Great straps and ratchets, no cushion on the footbeds and super simple design with great forward lean and highback rotation options. Sadly no canting at all, but if you are looking for a non-metal softboot binding with ultimate feel and ultimate stiffness, the Flux XV should be on your radar.

cheers,

sandy

16 hours ago, svr said:

Flux XV should be on your radar.

Not into Flux at all.. I have a pair or Switch back session bindings.. They are light and stiff but no cant.. They are good but I need a second set of bindings so it's between the Hefe's or O drives.. The high back on the O Drive seem higher and wider up top which seem would work better at higher angles.. 

I have a very very unique board coming from halfway around the globe... Took some doing to get it... Hopefully arrives in a week or two... 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Not into Flux at all.. I have a pair or Switch back session bindings.. They are light and stiff but no cant.. They are good but I need a second set of bindings so it's between the Hefe's or O drives.. The high back on the O Drive seem higher and wider up top which seem would work better at higher angles.. 

I have a very very unique board coming from halfway around the globe... Took some doing to get it... Hopefully arrives in a week or two... 

Japanese?

• Like 1