Note to New Members ×

Best resorts for carving in the US - by state?

rjnakata

Could be a nice FAQ/Wiki for the forum.
Best could be a challenge to quantify:  skill level, condition, how crowded and etc can affect carve-O-licouness. 
cost, easy of getting into, terrain variety, night life could be concerns for other.
People loved Killington in Vt but i barely recalled a good day there.

Co:  Aspen, Vail
Vt:  Stratton
Maine:  Sugarloaf
ID:  GrandTarghee

• Like 2

I agree, tough to quantify that one.  Ones that I really enjoy carving at and would not pass up a trip to:

ID: Grand Targhee  / Sun Valley / Schweitzer 

MT: oh so many good ones..Turner, Whitefish, Discovery, Big Sky, Showdown, avoid Red Lodge and Snowbowl for carving. Montana is littered with great little areas that are all under $50 a day.  Hard to go wrong.

• Like 2

Nowhere in the northeast. It's just a zoo. Sugarloaf and Sunday River earn honorable mention. Stratton. 😳  I love the place, been riding there 30 days a year since '87, but it's certainly not the best place for carving. Kick out every New Yorker with someone from NJ or CT strapped to their back then MAYBE. Though Upper Kidderbrook(when it's open) might be one of my favorite trails for carving, but ride on any other day than Tuesday or Wednesday off peak and it's kook central.  Okemo has better carving terrain and conditions, but again high kook density.

• Like 1

Ya know this is going to be very subjective.......just saying ~

NH - Loon Mtn.,  Bretton Woods

CA -  Heavenly,  Northstar,  Kirkwood, Mammoth  

CO - Snowmass, Breckenridge, Aspen Highlands, Ski Cooper 

VT -  Jay Peak,  Burke 

• Like 1

IMHO. And I like trails with flow where you do not have to wait to build speed for more than 8 seconds.

These are just trails I have ridden. Some I could be happy if I only had that run all day. To me Colorado is mostly ASPEN (no wind and warm) and Beaver Creek because of warmer temps and grooming and lots of luxury near the carving trail.

Colorado

1. Ruthies Run: Aspen Ajax  ( fantastic wide fairly steep run very high speeds carving attainable on this one, harder to film, and slow double  chair) No easy food access have to go to Bonnies or Sundeck to warm up. I run this all the time. It's good up top for late season as it won't get hit by rain like Centennial and get trashed. Longest FAST trail.

2. Centennial: Beaver Creek (Good vertical drop, killer Chondola with Combo  big fast chairlifts and gondola when its cold. trail can get icy in some shaded spots early in the year. Everyone in the resort can see you rip so its easy to find the rest of your party. Chairlift runs right over trail. Park Hyatt Buffet breakfast is a AWESOME start to the day. Seriously treat yourself to this for $33 its better than any other $33 you can spend on food in Colorado.

3. Back of Bell Aspen Ajax (short and steep and a super wall for medium speed carving. Advanced- don't fall here as you will have trouble self arresting). No fun for non experts.

4. Aztec (groomed only) Aspen Ajax most people would not try to carve this in soft boots. Also hard to self arrest so be careful. Not an all day trail, just to say you can do it. Zero fun for non experts.

5. Copperbowl: Great LONG RUN when its later in the season and you have the legs for it, gondola spectators . Its relentless pitch and slightly narrow forcing you to stay on it.

6. Sneakys: Snowmass (easy long wide groomer steep in parts.) Probably the best carving run at Slowmass, Gets destroyed fast during busy season times.

7. Thunderbowl : Aspen Highlands (variable snow conditions could be chunky) Actually I prefer the narrower trails of Gun Barrel and Grand Prix just above the Merry Go round Restaurant. Also you can check the scene at Cloud 9 restaurant for champagne.

8. Spar: Aspen Ajax. It's like a giant carving halfpipe. 

New England. 

Gondolier Stowe. Long and fast but don't even think of going their in January as your wax won't run only your nose will.

Stratton is a COMPLETE waste of time. Too crowded , ridiculously overpriced for what your get. ...cold and flat light. mixed clumpy grooming can hit you unexpected on Upper Standard and National . Seriously if you wanna do 4 days at Stratton ...instead buy a $117 R/T ticket on Frontier from the East coast and go to ANY resort in Colorado, you'll have better snow, nicer accommodations and everything will cost less.

Forget Killington . expat Brits who can't ski ... slide turns and trash everything by 10:15 am. Their accents only work in the bars.

Loon. Fun easy carving.

Bretton Woods the ideal NE place to teach a girl to carve.

Utah

Brighton is fun and has night skiing.

Park City wasn't very good, search and found no good carving on any trail.

California:

June is a cheaper version of Bretton Woods. Easy carving .

Mammoth: too windy. like ridiculous 40+ mph wind.. Marketing tries to sell Wind buff as something desirable, like saying a car with 300K miles is well broken in. Stump Alley is good for about 40 minutes first thing. The hot spring is the best thing about Mammoth.

Edited by John Gilmour
  • Like 1

Ah, ha, now I know what gilmore bias is.

Posted by Gilmore

IMHO. And I like trails with flow where you do not have to wait to build speed for more than 8 seconds.

These are just trails I have ridden. Some I could be happy if I only had that run all day. To me Colorado is mostly ASPEN (no wind and warm) and Beaver Creek because of warmer temps and grooming and lots of luxury near the carving trail.

Colorado

1. Ruthies Run: Aspen Ajax  ( fantastic wide fairly steep run very high speeds carving attainable on this one, harder to film, and slow double  chair) No easy food access have to go to Bonnies or Sundeck to warm up. I run this all the time. It's good up top for late season as it won't get hit by rain like Centennial and get trashed. Longest FAST trail.

2. Centennial: Beaver Creek (Good vertical drop, killer Chondola with Combo  big fast chairlifts and gondola when its cold. trail can get icy in some shaded spots early in the year. Everyone in the resort can see you rip so its easy to find the rest of your party. Chairlift runs right over trail. Park Hyatt Buffet breakfast is a AWESOME start to the day. Seriously treat yourself to this for $33 its better than any other $33 you can spend on food in Colorado.

3. Back of Bell Aspen Ajax (short and steep and a super wall for medium speed carving. Advanced- don't fall here as you will have trouble self arresting). No fun for non experts.

4. Aztec (groomed only) Aspen Ajax most people would not try to carve this in soft boots. Also hard to self arrest so be careful. Not an all day trail, just to say you can do it. Zero fun for non experts.

5. Copperbowl: Great LONG RUN when its later in the season and you have the legs for it, gondola spectators . Its relentless pitch and slightly narrow forcing you to stay on it.

6. Sneakys: Snowmass (easy long wide groomer steep in parts.) Probably the best carving run at Slowmass, Gets destroyed fast during busy season times.

7. Thunderbowl : Aspen Highlands (variable snow conditions could be chunky) Actually I prefer the narrower trails of Gun Barrel and Grand Prix just above the Merry Go round Restaurant. Also you can check the scene at Cloud 9 restaurant for champagne.

8. Spar: Aspen Ajax. It's like a giant carving halfpipe. 

New England. 

Gondolier Stowe. Long and fast but don't even think of going their in January as your wax won't run only your nose will.

Stratton is a COMPLETE waste of time. Too crowded , ridiculously overpriced for what your get. ...cold and flat light. mixed clumpy grooming can hit you unexpected on Upper Standard and National . Seriously if you wanna do 4 days at Stratton ...instead buy a $117 R/T ticket on Frontier from the East coast and go to ANY resort in Colorado, you'll have better snow, nicer accommodations and everything will cost less.

Forget Killington . expat Brits who can't ski ... slide turns and trash everything by 10:15 am. Their accents only work in the bars.

Loon. Fun easy carving.

Bretton Woods the ideal NE place to teach a girl to carve.

Utah

Brighton is fun and has night skiing.

Park City wasn't very good, search and found no good carving on any trail.

California:

June is a cheaper version of Bretton Woods. Easy carving .

Mammoth: too windy. like ridiculous 40+ mph wind.. Marketing tries to sell Wind buff as something desirable, like saying a car with 300K miles is well broken in. Stump Alley is good for about 40 minutes first thing. The hot spring is the best thing about Mammoth.

• LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

@John Gilmour you need the right guide...there are several great carving trails in PC and the Canyons, ask Billy Bordy and Dave Tille! 😉

I did cruise around with Paul Price and had a really nice time but nothing like Aspen or Beaver Creek  so far . Just mentioning what I thought was “ best” . For instance Telluride  has great pitch, and really some of the most amazing views far nicer than Aspen or Beaver Creek  ... but the trails grooming was not consistent (one “groomed trail “ the Plunge was like they dragged a comb over  slightly decapitated  moguls ... plus you can’t easily cycle long runs without multiple slow lifts ... so I took it off the list. 

Telluride is an EXCELLENT skiers mountain , but not so much for snowboard carving - the wider runs aren’t very steep and lack carvable features too. 

I based my my list off of what a good carver should pick if he only gets to go Out of his local resort every other year. 

For isntance ... the Outback as well as the front face at Mt Bachelor  is simply FABTASTIC but weather might not cooperate enough for a 5 day stint to have enough blue sky and more snowfall at night as opposed to the day.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, pow4ever said:

Could be a nice FAQ/Wiki for the forum.
Best could be a challenge to quantify:  skill level, condition, how crowded and etc can affect carve-O-licouness. 
cost, easy of getting into, terrain variety, night life could be concerns for other.
People loved Killington in Vt but i barely recalled a good day there.

Co:  Aspen, Vail
Vt:  Stratton
Maine:  Sugarloaf
ID:  GrandTarghee

Wow. Targhee over Sun Valley.....??????? For carving???  Can I get some of what you been smoking brother? Help a carver out. 

I have had some great days at Targhee but carving at Sun Valley is truly like no other. Yesterday was Sunday and I had so many perfect groom runs with no one on them. Epic day, epic conditions....and no one there on a mid January Sunday. I would debate more but I have a 9 am appointment to keep. 

• Like 1

ha... i should have preface it with "the resort I been to".  I do try to do a Safari when I went to a state for ski trip but always constrained by time and funds.
Had a chance to sample the following while I was in the area:  Snow king(WY), Jackson(WY), and Targhee(ID)  <-- only ski area i been to in ID. 

Sounded like Sun Valley should on my to hit list.  What you described was what I feel about: Big Sky, MT
Jaw dropping width...

Snowbasin(same owner ship as Sun Valley?); very very nice bath room lol.  Great carving too but the bathroom made an impression.

• LOL 2

• 2 weeks later...

As an NJ resident and ice coaster I agree that northeast can’t hold a wax candle to the west.  But if it’s your backyard you have to make the most of what’s there. Pico In VT is tough to beat.  Wide blues, decent elevation, zero crowds, zero attitude, reasonable prices compared to its neighbors. I liked Sunday River too but haven’t been there in ages.  

As for out west, I’m partial to Big Sky.  As @pow4eversaid, crazy wide trails to open it up. No lift lines either.  

I had a trip to UT last year and wound up riding Powder Mountain with my bigger Coiler NFC and had a freaking blast.  It is a perfect all-mountain riding kind of place with some awesome groomed stuff and awesome "powder carving" runs.  I haven't been at too many places where you can do a single run by first dropping into a chute, then blasting into seemingly perfectly spaced glades, and ending up carving a groomer like a hero into the lift.  Mainline / Whiskey Springs was so cool if you want to be a bit of an exhibitionist, and there were plenty of blues if thats your bag too.  Very low density of people at the resort due to limited ticket sales and a relaxed ski bum atmosphere.  The focus was totally on the terrain and riding experience and had bugger all for luxury.  Absolutely brilliant!

• Like 1

Ohio - Snow Trails

If you have to be in Ohio, Snow Trails is more aggressive with the snow making than the other, corporate-owned Ohio resorts, and they really take pride in giving us nice grooming too.  And a big, wide slope that makes a great carver with room for skiers too.  But if you're out west, I wouldn't make a special trip to come here 🙂.

Tracks-1.jpg.5b9c62dff450cbc6da5cc6a21ad2bfc9.jpg

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1