Note to New Members ×

hardboot carving % vs softboot, you personally?

1xsculler

Years ago ('95-'98), I was in hardshells (Teaching) about 80% of the time. I backed that off to 60%-/-40% by the time I got my Full-Cert (because, some 'hardboot' moves didn't "work" for the Examiners; but I got my L-3 in Hardshells, nonetheless), which was '99-'03. After that, it's been 50/50 on average, but I prefer being in Hardboots (due to fit, and better performance range). I have F#cke@-up feet due in part to wearing steel-toed shoes for a decade, so the Softboots are now more comfy initially, but hurt more by day's end.Muscle-wise, Hardboots wear on me at the knees, but, my knees were Toasty already by '99. Btw, b4 '91 (the 1st 13 seasons), it was Very Mushy Softboots and horrible bindings. So, equipment matters in both performance, and comfort; perhaps in longevity as well. Luckily, now, you can have a decent set-up that works for 5-10 seasons, easily (as long as your feet don't 'warp' like mine have). The big thing to consider is 'what are my local condtions'. If in Utah, ride Softies. In Michigan, run Plates! In New England, match the snow that day...

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

I’m in hardboots unless there is new snow (powder) or new-ish snow push-piles. I’ve carved on hardpack in softies and was surprised at how hard I was able to push things. It is fun for awhile but (for me at least): softboot carving requires a lot more physical effort, and I find the boots way more uncomfortable. If i could do spins and butters I’d probably enjoy softboots a lot more; but I prefer being able to carve more agressively with less effort on my hardboots (given that I can’t spin/butter/etc). 

1 hour ago, barryj said:

...but  from what I have experienced in trying soft boot carving the equipment is a step down in performance from hard boots!

...........but for me I'm strictly a Hardon for all conditions 

stepin hardshells, all conditions, including offpiste crap that sends most softbooters to the park and skiers to the bar

41 minutes ago, queequeg said:

: softboot carving requires a lot more physical effort, and I find the boots way more uncomfortable. If i could do spins and butters I’d probably enjoy softboots a lot more; but I prefer being able to carve more agressively with less effort on my hardboots (given that I can’t spin/butter/etc). 

I spin and butter and switch all the time on all mt boards with a 30*/45* stance and stepin plates; the tunnel vision over the need for staps to do anything  other than trench groomers still blows my mind... at least some of the splitboarders finally realized the advantages.

Hard boots all the time since I learned on them in the 1980s, except when the airline loses my boots/ bindings because I forgot to carry them in my hand baggage.
Boards on the other hand... I use powder boards in powder, race boards on piste.

But it's not political: if they stop making hard boots I'd put in a few days to transfer the skills to soft.  In that case I'd probably focus more on no-boarding in powder as I don't really see the point of the half-way solution as I'm not into ballet tricks.

There may be a bit of "tunnel vision" about powder, but I don't think soft boots are all that terrible for it.

43 minutes ago, philw said:

Hard boots all the time since I learned on them in the 1980s, except when the airline loses my boots/ bindings because I forgot to carry them in my hand baggage.
Boards on the other hand... I use powder boards in powder, race boards on piste.

But it's not political: if they stop making hard boots I'd put in a few days to transfer the skills to soft.  In that case I'd probably focus more on no-boarding in powder as I don't really see the point of the half-way solution as I'm not into ballet tricks.

There may be a bit of "tunnel vision" about powder, but I don't think soft boots are all that terrible for it.

modern softboots are not terrible, but they're not necessary either.

no sense buying extra, less performance less convenience,  less durable gear just because it snowed; no need to transfer skills, or use duck, my drivers and flows( still 30*/45*) were quite capable just not as powerful as the more convenient gear I already have. if hardboots stop being made AT boots fill the bill except for stepin

ps  I do ballet in hardboots too:freak3:

Edited by b0ardski

4 hours ago, b0ardski said:

the tunnel vision over the need for staps to do anything  other than trench groomers still blows my mind... 

Meh. I've spent plenty of time riding hardboots in powder and bumps. I prefer softies for it. It's not tunnel vision, it's personal preference. You have your personal preferences, and I have mine. Nobody is right, and nobody is wrong as long as we are all enjoying what we are doing.

• Like 2