Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 3:45 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Yes.  I always wear a hat driving it, I am subject to sunstroke.  But the whole point of owning a convertible is that the top gets dropped.  Mazda says not to operate below 5C, so it is down above 5C unless it is raining.  I don't understand people who buy convertibles and drive them top up all the time, even on nice days.  Cops should be able to pull those folks over and ticket them for having no soul.

Or for driving with the top down and windows up.  Lame! ?

Man I just can't stand the Z3 coupe.  Looks like a clown car to me.  I heard a rumor that it was intentionally made ugly as an act of defiance by the design team.

Haha. Neil, I'm with you on couped versions of cabriolets.

Speaking of BMWs and impractical cars, my neighbor had a brief affair with a 1971 3.0CSI.  The body is not galvanized, so it couldn't even be driven in the rain, nevermind all the snow we have for 6 months.  It spent those 6 months inside of an inflatable bubble in his garage.  The rear seat only had lap seatbelts (or none?) so it was not very responsible to put his kids in it, so it was relegated to slow cruising around town.  He paid about $17k for it.  I kidded him that for that money he could have had a new Ducati 996 and it would have been more practical.

48 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I just can't stand the Z3 coupe.  Looks like a clown car to me.  I heard a rumor that it was intentionally made ugly as an act of defiance by the design team.

Talk about Ugly by a design team... the rear end of the C7 Corvette is so butt ugly --  the Designer of this was the Designer of the  Pontiac Aztek... so go figure.

Just now, C5 Golfer said:

Talk about Ugly by a design team... the rear end of the C7 Corvette is so butt ugly --  the Designer of this was the Designer of the  Pontiac Aztek... so go figure.

The ZR-1 version just looks ridiculous, some kind of cartoon racecar.  Fast as hell, though.   I like the normal C7 except for the rear.  Love the new interior, too.

26 minutes ago, C5 Golfer said:

Designer of the  Pontiac Aztek

I can't believe that person still has a job in the industry.  The only uglier car on the road is the Prius, and they look related.

re: C7 rear end, I don't like the Katy Perry eye makeup around the tail lights, but I dig the four trumpets in the center.

Speaking of the ZR-1... oh snap!
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/03/gm-vp-mark-reuss-crashes-chevy-corvette-zr1-pace-car-ahead-of-in/

2 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I can't believe that person still has a job in the industry.  The only uglier car on the road is the Prius, and they look related.

re: C7 rear end, I don't like the Katy Perry eye makeup around the tail lights, but I dig the four trumpets in the center.

Yea the Exhaust is ok..  it just the Tail Lights that get all negative comments about the C7.  Most of the rest - Front views are great.  And Except for these additions to 2014 C7. The direct Fuel injection - not sure this has been fully vetted to be a good thing for long engine life, The addition of the deactivation of 4 cyclinders ,  the 7 speed manual , 6 is plenty, the the biggest complaint of all us bigger guys -- the smaller cabin space - I feel like a sardine in a can when I am in the drivers seat of a C7. 
Sadly, I think my 2013 C6 Grand Sport is my Last Corvette. Love the LS 3 engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, C5 Golfer said:

Anyone heard of the new BMW X7 --  609 HP V12  engine available.   --  Hmmmm.. I can think of a few unsuspecting drivers getting themselves sideways real quick..  and I am not talking about being in debt. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X7

Just yesterday BMW sent me a promotional booklet on it and it's sedan countrrpart... 

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Easily done in Whistler, I believe.

Well -- yes Whistler is wonderful Golf -- going there in September,

But cant do both the middle of winter in Whistler,  Seattle's golf courses are open year around while 30-45 minutes east the Lifts are running..Dec - April

Enjoy the Day Neil and Boris,   Looks like a Corvette day to the golf course down here 

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I believe the glacier at Blackcomb is open until mid-July. 

Yes, I really went to the glacier, in the SLK, yesterday ?

Sea to Sky Highway was more fun then the glacier... well, almost. 

I love my new to me 2011 Mercedes e350 4matic wagon. I had a 99 that I loved and have longed for the newer models since I bought a Minivan. The Sienna was perfect. AWD 2011 that we racked up miles on. Just over 100k miles and it was totaled in my street after a neighbor hit it parked on the street. So back into a Benz. I’ve had several others and this one doesn’t disappoint. #wagonmafia #notasubaru

Edited by slopestar

12 minutes ago, slopestar said:

The Sienna was perfect. AWD 2011 that we racked up miles on.

Now we're talking - minivans! I have a FWD 2011 Sienna that's been good, other than the power doors acting up right now. Really want AWD for winter duties as I've pushed the FWD beyond its limits a few times in the winter. Self-rescue is more stressful than it should be. 

It tows my 2500-lb car/trailer adequately, but want to add a truck soon too. 

• Like 1

Sad to say at one point in my life we had 2 minivans in the garage, a '91 Mazda MPV and an '06 Sienna. The MPV was great, truly a minivan and had a truck frame. At one point I hauled 1000 lbs of brick firepit home: the rear suspension was fully compressed. The Toyota is a much bigger and more comfortable/modern beast. We took it to the maritimes and back, 12,000 km in a month with 2 squabbling teens in back. Thank god for separate back seats and the dvd player. 

We sold the old Mazda when I got my R32. My son is driving the Toyota now, over 250,000 km and no serious problems. My wife is driving an '07 Toyota 4Runner Limited. What a great SUV! It's an actual truck, and with the v8 and tow package the tow rating is something over 7000 lbs.  Nice leather interior, and small enough to easily fit into our little garage.  Bad mileage though, around 14 l/100 km when not towing.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, slopestar said:

I love my new to me 2011 Mercedes e350 4matic wagon. I had a 99 that I loved and have longed for the newer models since I bought a Minivan. The Sienna was perfect. AWD 2011 that we racked up miles on. Just over 100k miles and it was totaled in my street after a neighbor hit it parked on the street. So back into a Benz. I’ve had several others and this one doesn’t disappoint. #wagonmafia #notasubaru

Good choice but make sure yours are covered in warranty.  I had e320 & e350 4matic wagon past 10 years, along with ML350 & R500.  E-series are best among MB lines.  Both held up pretty well over. Parts cost very expensive and stealership charge too much.  Still have e350 sedan for everyday driving but I learn to trade in for newer one before warranty expires. 

No warranty. 60k Miles. I’m a shady tree mechanic so things like brakes and rotors are easy. I even replaced bad hydraulic shocks on my old 4matic wagon. Had a 190e, an s500, my old trusty 99 e320 4matic that my buddy in WA still drives and a 560sl that my ex-wife had. The key to owning Mercedes is making sure it was built in Stuttgart... and not the US...