Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

5 hours ago, NHRider said:

This is my fun car. 2017 Q60. 400hp twin turbo V6. 

20161229_160716.jpg

I test drove a Q60 and it was nice but didn't really inspire me. Then my wife said "you've wanted a sports car ever since I've known you. Why don't you buy the MX-5 and keep the R32 for winter?"  

My wife is great!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NHRider said:

Its much worse than I thought it would be. Really wide tires and too light to be any good. It struggles in more than 2" of anything other than light fluff. I don't drive it much. When it's nice I'd rather be on the bike..

Lol try some narrower tire(even if manifacturer d'ont want) with WS80 blizzak or Nokian Hakkapelliita 8 studded and would be set. 

Still V6 twin I see the most reflash possbility in my mind  hummm.

Edited by Poloturbo

My first car was a 68 Chevy Chevelle that I restored throughout high school and college. I so regret selling that car esp considering how prices went through the roof. Afterwards  I caught the BMW bug and have been driving everything from Mini Coopers to E30s to E39s. Almost snagged a z3 roadster. Had three e30s once! Im a huge fan of BMW tourings, they are the best damned practical but fun vehicle to daily drive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Lol try some narrower tire(even if manifacturer d'ont want) with WS80 blizzak or Nokian Hakkapelliita 8 studded and would be set. 

Still V6 twin I see the most reflash possbility in my mind  hummm.

I'm sure it'd be much better but still my boards don't fit in it and nobody makes a rack that fits.

That thing doesn't need anymore power. Not if I value having my drivers license anyway!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, michael.a said:

My first car was a 68 Chevy Chevelle that I restored throughout high school and college. I so regret selling that car esp considering how prices went through the roof. Afterwards  I caught the BMW bug and have been driving everything from Mini Coopers to E30s to E39s. Almost snagged a z3 roadster. Had three e30s once! Im a huge fan of BMW tourings, they are the best damned practical but fun vehicle to daily drive. 

Cool muscle car that Chevelle.We got to see some pic of it. 

My dad had a Duster 340. :)

Also a fan of E30 . Perfect platform for racing a low budget maintenance compare to others.

Here is my good friend E46

attachment-11.jpg

attachment-18.jpg

attachment-17.jpg

attachment-16.jpg

• Like 1

My daily driver is a Mazda 3. Not sporty, but entirely adequate in every measure. 

My weekend toy is a Formula Ford, see this thread for more: 

I love autocross, and hope to get it out on the local road course for a track day this summer. I've done ice racing before too, but it seriously cut into my snowboarding time so it got dropped. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Corey said:

My daily driver is a Mazda 3. Not sporty, but entirely adequate in every measure. 

I love autocross, and hope to get it out on the local road course for a track day this summer. I've done ice racing before too, but it seriously cut into my snowboarding time so it got dropped. 

Sweet car, Corey.  I have a good family friend that got me into track days and he has a vintage Formula Ford.  He and a few friends run a club called the FRCCA that races in the northeast/mid-atlantic region of the US.

http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com/

While I've always been into cars, it wasn't until college that I got an opportunity to get involved in working and racing on them.  I started with a few autocrosses and then got into track days and now time trials.  I'm not very competitive in the latter yet but I'm still having lots of fun seeing myself improve each time I'm on track.

I've currently got an Audi A4 as my daily driver and my fun car is a Porsche 944S.  I've got a lot of things planned for the 944 to get it in shape for next season.

send 4879.jpg

send 5307.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corey said:

So awesome It must be the most thrilling feeling ever a one seater wow.

Come to Circuit Mont Tremblant with it. :)

I guess you do maintenance yourself?

Edited by Poloturbo

1 hour ago, Poloturbo said:

So awesome It must be the most thrilling feeling ever a one seater wow.

Come to Circuit Mont Tremblant with it. :)

I guess you do maintenance yourself?

Remember the first time you got on an alpine board after riding a freestyle setup? Very similar! Incredibly fun but also totally overwhelming at first. 

I do the work myself. Haven't done anything major yet. Frankly, I hope not to! ;) 

SnowFerret, I drove a 944 in an autocross school a while ago. Neat cars! 

• Like 1

So I rarely post on Bomber but Queequeg’s post inspired me. I would not call myself car nuts, as I pretty much gave up everything car related other than for utilitarian purposes and moved onto motorcycles for my fun. But I have a long car and motorsports history and used to really be into it.

Here is the short version of the history part. Grew up in a racing family spending my childhood summer weekends either racing go carts or at the tracks around the east coast for ISMA and SCCA racing during the hay day of sports car racing in the US late 60’s early 70’s. My dad build Alfa Romeo Engines and raced Alfa’s and Sunbeams. During high school I crewed for some Trans Am teams, and built my own cars, Audi Fox, Fiat Strada, BMW 2002 Tii, Datsun 240Z, Volvo 142 and I am sure others I can’t remember.

After college I did some autocross in the 240Z, then moved to SCCA club racing. Started my racing career in an EX IMSA firehawk Camaro, then bought a formula Vee that I raced for several year, Designed and built my own formula Vee racing SCCA Nationals. Then moved onto sedans and built an E36 BMW 325, having scored a good sponsorship deal I raced Speedvision (then just Speed) world Challenge had a ball at that and blew enough money to buy a really nice house. After that I jumped around a bit, raced pro formula Mazda, Grand Am cup in a mazda RX7, various endurance races in Miata’s. I then scored a deal with Mazda and picked up the Mazda RX8 when it first came out to campaign in SCCA T-2. I raced it for a couple years but could never make it competitive.

I have instructed for BMWCCA and SCDA track days. This all ended in 2006 and have not been in a car on the track since. This past summer I wanted to see if it still interested me and if I could still do it, so I barrowed a spec Miata and did a SCDA day at Palmer and Limerock. Limerock came back to me in 2 or 3 laps, so the test was a success.

I have driven most of the great tracks in North America-

Portland, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Road America, Hartland Park, Mid Ohio, Nelson Ledges, Pocono, Beaver run, Flemington, LimeRock, Watkins Glen, Bridgehampton, Daytona, Sebring, Mosport, NHMS, VIR, Summit Point, Road Atlanta. And two highlight’s Washington DC Street course with World Challenge and the Canadian Grand Prix on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve with Grand AM cup.

Today my daily driver is a BMW X6M 550HP all-wheel drive beast. Can do 0 to 60 MPH in under 4 seconds with my dog hanging out the back window and all my snowboard gear in the car. And I can tow my trailer with my motorcycles in it at 170 MPH.

In the pictures mine is the #71 blue and white BMW at Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio. The Silver #07 RX8 is mine on the LimeRock Grid, the purple Formula Vee is the one I designed and built from the ground up. The Volvo was an amazing sleeper, race suspension and a fully worked engine.

1445036782lb.jpg

DSC01057.JPG

DSC00228.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

midohiosvwc.jpg

rdatlsvwc.jpg

IMG_0638.JPG

miata.jpg

bmw.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AlexJ said:

Then moved onto sedans and built an E36 BMW 325, having scored a good sponsorship deal I raced Speedvision (then just Speed) world Challenge had a ball at that and blew enough money to buy a really nice house.

And that's exactly why I've avoided road racing thus far.  I'm fine with accepting the financial risk of my own mistakes, but someone else making a mistake and possibly wrecking my car just scares me.  However, autocross at a high level isn't exactly cheap.  It's about $20 per 60-second run for running costs.  

That's a cool list of cars Alex!  You must have a lifetime of stories from those experiences.  

• Like 1

My ride is the blue one, you guys are soooooo spoiled in the USA for good cars, over here this is a total rip off (3X the price of the USA price).... but having said that I am a bit of a sucker for nice cruisers after a modified R53 MINI which was a little wasp of a car, but as with many MINI/BMW cars in the heat and heavy rains here prone to lots of little problems particularly in the electrics.  My dream car is the grey Alfieri, when it is finally released (maybe 2019 maybe it's vaporware). 

maserati ghibli.jpg

alfieri.jpg

maserati ghibli2.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing journey AlexJ. One of the most memorable I guess. Talking about spending a small house fortune on cars??? Hummm. ? Car racing will drain your wallet.  I' not even talking about boats now lol.

Thanks for sharing.  Don't considered my self a "car nut" anymore but the title was catchy lol. My first choice was petrolhead thread. ;)

Wow kipstar love it. ☺

• Thanks 1