Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

Miata, I like, but Mrs doesn't. Also they are proportionately more expensive then other 2 cars, mileage and year being taken into account. 

Yeah, I like Z4 a lot, but it's double the price of what I can get a Z3 for... 

SLK has the advantage of the solid roof, for our not so dry climate. 

A "convertible cruiser" is totally fine - we are not going to race it. Actually, my X3 feels faster then any of the cars  above, except probably the Z4... 

3 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

The Z3 is a lot roomier inside than the Miata.

True!  

As the previous owner of two convertibles (Miata and S2000), I won't own another unless it's a fantastic platform that isn't available as a hardtop.  Too much fiddle-y stuff, potential for leaks, one bored kid with something sharp away from a very expensive repair bill, and loud.  Oh yeah, and you can get a wicked sunburn without noticing until it's way too late.  

Yes, space in the cockpit:  SLK > Z3 > Miata. I've driven Charliechocolate's Miata and I could barely fit in, and I'm not really a huge guy. 

Ha, ha the sunburn, both my Mrs and our kid got some when we drove a Mustang around Maui, this winter. 

Is that your Miata Neil? 

Edited by BlueB

Boris - Have you guys looked at a C6 Corvette -  you might just like that better than a high priced maintenance Euro Car. C6 AND  C5s are very reliable,and possibly cheaper to own.

Plus the Corvette in C6 flavor is like riding hardboots... compared to driving something in high heels..  Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Is that your Miata Neil? 

Yes.  I always wear a hat driving it, I am subject to sunstroke.  But the whole point of owning a convertible is that the top gets dropped.  Mazda says not to operate below 5C, so it is down above 5C unless it is raining.  I don't understand people who buy convertibles and drive them top up all the time, even on nice days.  Cops should be able to pull those folks over and ticket them for having no soul.

27 minutes ago, C5 Golfer said:

Boris - Have you guys looked at a C6 Corvette -  you might just like that better than a high priced maintenance Euro Car. C6 AND  C5s are very reliable,and possibly cheaper to own.

Plus the Corvette in C6 flavor is like riding hardboots... compared to driving something in high heels..  Enjoy!

I was waiting for this comment from you ? I know what's your fave car. 

I love the Vette, but it's not within the budget. One toy got sold, now that's what I've got to spend on another one. I could top it up only if we decided on a 4-seater convertible, like A4 or 328i. 

25 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Yes.  I always wear a hat driving it, I am subject to sunstroke.  But the whole point of owning a convertible is that the top gets dropped.  Mazda says not to operate below 5C, so it is down above 5C unless it is raining.  I don't understand people who buy convertibles and drive them top up all the time, even on nice days.  Cops should be able to pull those folks over and ticket them for having no soul.

That's so funny! I agree ?

Edited by BlueB

19 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I just returned from Kauai -- where it rained at record levels... and it rained everyday -- most couples that were tourists had rented a Mustang Convertible.. they were everywhere  and they all had the top down even in the rain... of course they did not care the inside got wet, its a rental!

16 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I was waiting for this comment from you ? I know what's your fave car. 

I love the Vette, but it's not within the budget. One toy got sold, not that's what I've got to spend on another one. I could top it up only if we decided on a 4-seater convertible, like A4 or 328i. 

You can buy a very nice C5 for 20K US  and a much nicer C6 low miles critter for $30K -$35K US,....  pocket change if you are looking at a A4.  ?

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

What A4 are you thinking?? I can get a decent used A4 (Audi) for about CAD 10-12K... The SLK or Z3 for 5-10K... 

Well damn!  I thought you were talking new...  dont follow prices on the above models. Good talkin with you - enjoy the sunshine this weekend Eh?  Looks like 80 Deg F down here in Lib Land Seattle.

21 minutes ago, C5 Golfer said:

I just returned from Kauai -- where it rained at record levels... and it rained everyday -- most couples that were tourists had rented a Mustang Convertible.. they were everywhere  and they all had the top down even in the rain... of course they did not care the inside got wet, its a rental!

Well of course the top is up if it is raining, or if has been recently raining and the interior might get splashed.

When we were in Maui we rented a Mustang convertible too, it was cheap.

The engine of a Tiguan, I drove from new to 70k, had to be decarbonized twice, in despite of good maintenance and high grade fuel I used. VW wouldn't honour the warranty and proclaimed that into "maintenance" ?

8 minutes ago, BlueB said:

The engine of a Tiguan, I drove from new to 70k, had to be decarbonized twice, in despite of good maintenance and high grade fuel I used. VW wouldn't honour the warranty and proclaimed that into "maintenance" ?

is that a Direct Fuel injection engine??  just curious cuz I hear that is one of the faults of that "new" design.

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Yes. Design fault and they won't admit it. Also, they sold a car designed for 95 Euro fuel, here in N America, where we can't even get 93 on every station... 

We do use different scales to measure octane. 

On 1/15/2018 at 6:01 PM, Poloturbo said:

Cool muscle car that Chevelle.We got to see some pic of it. 

My dad had a Duster 340. ?

Also a fan of E30 . Perfect platform for racing a low budget maintenance compare to others.

Here is my good friend E46

Forgot about this thread ?

First the only picture I can find online of my Chevelle, it was restored in the late 90s when DLCs were still a rarity, I'd have to dig up the prints from somewhere. 307 block with iron heads and cheesy Edlebrock, I had the hilarious 2-speed Powermatic or whatever which quickly gave up and swapped in a TH350. The previous owner added a sunroof for a reason I never knew. Bought it as the frame and body were largely rust free (still had to weld in new rear rocker panels, floor, etc) otherwise it was bare with no engine or transmission. I was 20 by the time I finished it, by then I needed a dependable ride back and forth from school so had to sell it. Great car but it pretty much bankrupted me as a poor college student.

I95pZ7Q.jpg

Currently my daily driver is a BMW E39 530i touring with a LPG conversion, gets sweet sweet mileage running on good ol propane and just practical as hell. But my pride and joy locked away in my garage is my E30 324td touring (I love station wagons btw). This is a body platform and engine never sold in the US. God damn 80s diesel mated to a 5-speed with oversize trunk, for the hack job it technically was from BMW it is very well built. I restored it until I ran out of money but kept it entirely stock, even have the original CD player. I did chip the engine though and increase the boost as the factory 115 hp was bleh. In the future I'll add a LSD with a higher gear ratio as again the stock 3.15 or 2.73 is crap, or maybe update the turbo to something bigger who knows. I drove this car all over Europe after restoring it until I said its just too damn valuable and locked it away. One day I'll ship it stateside.

4SepZDa.jpgVDgAHXk.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 1:51 AM, BlueB said:

Ok car nuts, who has owned, or has driven, both old Merc SLK and BMW Z3? Pros and cons, ease and priciness of maintenance, weaknesses? 

Never drove the SLK but have been the wheel behind the  Z3 with the 2.8 and 3.0L multiple times and of course different Miatas. If you want an instant classic get the hardtop coupe but prices are already sky high, but you get an instant classic that prices are only going up. I'd do all to avoid the 4 cylinders as they are just dog slow, in fact avoid all of them except the 2.8L version and then aim for a pre-facelift with the M52B28 (try to avoid engines with VANOS and pretty much stay away from the 3.0L as they all glug tons of oil). If a no go get the 2.5L.

Id get the Z3 over the Miata in a heartbeat for a bajillion reasons, but the Miata is certainly cheaper to maintain and get parts. But holy balls look at the Z3844456737_17_1080x720_z3-coupe-30i-_rev0