Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

11 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Ford beat Chevy to the punch with the flat plane crank in the Shelby GT350 a few years ago. Hopefully Chevy isn’t having the same oil consumption issues Ford had.

So correct, as they wanted to introduce this engine in the C8 first, but they then, specifically for their desired market, put a set of headers on their engines to specifically still create their signature rumble of the older engines with the cross-plane engines. They did this by sacrificing performance by allowing cylinder exhaust chambers to have their exhaust gasses collide in the header rather than scavenge for power. 

This is why the Mustangs still have the "rumble" while the C8 has the "whine" for their sound. If one decides to put on the set of aftermarket headers that improve savaging on the mustang for performance, then they to will get the "whine" sound as the engine revs. Some interesting changes to both engines in any event and makes them fun to play with.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, Jack M said:

now a classic

Ha!  Here's my classic ~ 1989 Dodge Raider (aka: Mitsubishi Montero)               V6 5 speed 120,000 miles   I've had this one 15? years.  Actually found this one in a salvage yard while looking for parts for my 1987 4 cyl Mitsubishi Montero.         I bought it pretty much as you see it (sans wheels/tires) for $300 !   It was missing a distributor, seats, sun roof and a few other cosmetic bits and pieces.

Dodge imported these (from Mitsubishi) and branded this Gen 1, swb 2 door model only 2 years 89/90 so Raiders are rare, classic and now qualify for vintage/antique plates being over 30 years old.  

There hasn't been a winter that has slowed this beast down!  I've even pulled state plow trucks out of the ditch with this!  It will pull a stump out of the ground and yet cruise 75 all day long.   It only had  60,000+/- miles on it when I towed it home and now currently with only  120,000 miles it's barely broken in according to the Raider/Montero  forum guys.  It just keeps on running................

Here's some (latest snowstorm) profile photos.  Oh......and here's my burglar alarm,  Chester, a 120lb. Long Haired Rottweiler! 

4.jpg

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

3.jpg

• Like 2

Ford Voodoo is first domestic/"mass produce" flat crank v8 engine.

i wonder where GM's LT6 (flat crank) engine going next after the halo car.
likely Cadillac suv.   i love a big sedan with that engine in an affordable package.  (ex Impala SS).

That flatcrank design have been use in the exotic: such as Ferrai, Lotus for a long while.
It's awesome that those technology trickle down to where i the commoner can almost afford.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Came across this in my wandering through the InterNet.

https://www.racebox.pro/

The Mini or Mini S version looked like something that could go on a ski or snowboard as through course segment timing tool, or just give you board angle and G force data.

Any car nuts used this for the intended use?