Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

I love hatchbacks.  I'd take the Z3 coupe any day, even given my impressions above.  

I loved the Solstice Coupe as well:

solsticecoupe_rev2000.jpg

They're quite striking in person but rare.  The Solstice was pretty fun to drive too, even though it was a parts-bin car and had some very weird design choices.  (Trunk space? No!)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Yikes that's hideous.

The Renault 4L? 
Actually when you get used to the unortodox shape, it starts to grow on you... It was only 2w drive, but with such high ground clearance and suspension more suited for offroad, it moved quite well over any terrain. It had more space then one would expect in such a small car and of course, the unique "umbrella" manual gear shifter coming straight out of the dashboard. 

6803804488_568f7d3bdc_b.jpg 

30 minutes ago, BlueB said:

The Renault 4L?

No, the Solstice coupe.  I always liked the convertible although I thought the Saturn flavour looked a bit better.  But the coupe is just ungainly.  Not generally a fan of hardtop versions of convertibles.  The Porsche Cayman and the new Mazda RF are a couple of exceptions.  Maybe I'm just weird - never cared for the Jaguar XKE coupe although many regard it as beyond criticism.  Love the XKE convertible. 

Oh, the "E Type" was sold as the "XKE" in North America, interesting.

NYC's MoMa also likes the convertible best:  https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/282 
"First introduced at the 1961 Geneva Auto Show, the Jaguar E-type was designed by Malcolm Sayer, [...]. The engine [...] was a modified version of the one installed in the XK series, later adapted for use in the E-type. It is from the XK series that the E-type obtained its American designation of XK-E."
So now I know.
---

I like the Cayman, although I'm not so keen on the convertible. But then I don't like rag-tops much or live in a place they make huge sense. The metal convertibles (like the Z4) work ok here. I'm not sure if the AMG GT Mercedes have those or not, but those look pretty cool to me.

--- 
Beemer coupes... The one which looked kind of ugly but kind of cute was this one, for me. Maybe that's the black one at the top there - they didn't sell it as a "Z3" here, the one I'm thinking of was a completely difference beast, monster rear wheels and lots of muscle, where as our Z3s are very girly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M_Coupe#/media/File:BMW-M-Coupe.jpg

Edited by philw

I always liked the rear-end of the z-series m-coupe, but I find the front to be totally hideous. I really wish I liked the way the front of the car looks because everything else is very appealing: a small, unique, shooting brake, with great visibility, a well-appointed cockpit and (mostly) good looks.

That solstice looks pretty cool to me. 

28 minutes ago, philw said:

I like the Cayman, although I'm not so keen on the convertible. But then I don't like rag-tops much or live in a place they make huge sense.

They make more sense where you live than where I do.  Mine is parked from late October or early November until late April or early May.  I had a friend who ran a first-gen Miata year-round for nearly 20 years as his only car.  That is hard core.

41 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I had a friend who ran a first-gen Miata year-round for nearly 20 years as his only car.  That is hard core.

Wow!  That's dedication.  I did one full winter in mine.  I learned a lot about car control, and didn't even bend any sheet metal!  I did break some plastic bits though on a few snowbanks...  ?  Still worth it! 

Hey MY, I also had a R53 Mini with the JCW package plus some other light mods. The supercharger whine was phenomenal and the driving experience was just so much fun. I could definitely complain about the build quality but still regret selling the car, shouldve kept it instead of buying a... VW Golf... For a car pushing 14 years its looks great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michael.a said:

Hey MY, I also had a R53 Mini with the JCW package plus some other light mods. The supercharger whine was phenomenal and the driving experience was just so much fun. I could definitely complain about the build quality but still regret selling the car, shouldve kept it instead of buying a... VW Golf... For a car pushing 14 years its looks great

Only 29k miles! I had an 02, had a ton of gremlins! Here is the 02, loaded and ready to go to the hill.... 195 Donek was longer than the roofline...

DSCF0012.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pokkis said:

I drobe some ammount also with R4, but drove much much more with 2CV

Wow Citroen 2CV! I have even better memories of that one! My class friend from university had the "Charleston" reissue in the late 80s.

4647262125_54128faae9.jpg

We used to go to summer trips with that thing, roof rolled back... But most fun was driving around the town, between the lectures - we were 6 people in the class, so it was a tight pack into the 4 seater. My other 2 buddies were a bit chunkier then me, so I always set in the back, 2 girls on my sides and 3rd one on my lap... Full hands ?

Cool looking 2CV. I had a Renault 5 in the 80s, I think it ran 5 days in the 18 months I owned it. It had 3 bolt wheels.  Heard of other Renaults that came with a bar in the toolkit to wedge between the doors so the body didn't collapse when you jacked it up. Kind of put me off French cars, haven't owned one since. Renault, Peugot and Citroen have no presence in Canada anyway. 

This weekend we were driving this mighty beast around Californian desert. 

It was crazy fun taking it up El Paseo, but where it really shines is the highway. I'm always impressed by Mustang's ability to accelerate a lot while already going very fast! 

15269442212190.jpg

Oh, btw Neil, we are driving it top down, it comes up only for shade when parked ?

Edited by BlueB