Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Ah, right.  A friend is/was a pro instructor, he didn't have nice things to say about the one Ultima he drove.  Quick, but not a cohesive unit.  

I lack the kind of knowledge that you have but reading a bit about it: seems like an excessive amount of power for such a tiny, lightweight car. I don't imagine it is easy to control.

Edited by queequeg

16 minutes ago, queequeg said:

I lack the kind of knowledge that you have but reading a bit about it: seems like an excessive amount of power for such a tiny, lightweight car. I don't imagine it is easy to control.

When you can lay down two black stripes all the way to the next corner - that's enough power. ;)

Truthfully? I prefer slightly underpowered cars to overpowered ones though. 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

When you can lay down two black stripes all the way to the next corner - that's enough power. ;)

Truthfully? I prefer slightly underpowered cars to overpowered ones though. 

I get the appeal of big power but unless you have access to a track it seems like a waste.  Driving my little MX-5 at legal speeds is more fun to me than driving some monster-powered car at legal speeds. 

"Underpowered" cars these days are still pretty quick.  My R32 does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds according to the mags.  The MX-5 is in that ballpark. That used to be a jaw-dropping number only achieved by exotics.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I get the appeal of big power but unless you have access to a track it seems like a waste.  Driving my little MX-5 at legal speeds is more fun to me than driving some monster-powered car at legal speeds. 

"Underpowered" cars these days are still pretty quick.  My R32 does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds according to the mags.  The MX-5 is in that ballpark. That used to be a jaw-dropping number only achieved by exotics.

Yeah it’s crazy, I’ve driven some classic muscles cars that were sorta fast off the line but an Impreza with moderate tuning does the same thing and gets 27 MPG...... with 150 less horses too.... 

Too much power story: I hop in a car at an autocross school. A 2015-ish Mustang. Told it has 650 HP. Driver was having a hard time keeping it straight on corner exit. 

Once rolling, I figured out that the throttle has been remapped to reduce travel - what? So it had about 1" of travel to control from zero to 650 HP. Awful! He may as well have a switch as it was exceedingly hard to modulate. 

In comparison; a recent Z06 feels usable and playful with similar power. 

Fast cars are fun, but the consumables eat my budget too fast. I'd rather race more often in a slower car. 

• Like 1

Did the whole souped up 05 WRX Suby Wagon,  running STI parts, dynoed to 300hp.....  fun,  but I'm done with 4 bangers!

I think all the current model suby's are still underpowered!  They should put 300 hp in the suby from the factory!

Now if they did a V6 in the Imprezza WRX/STI   I moght be interested again!  

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 6:26 AM, Corey said:

Fast cars are fun, but the consumables eat my budget too fast. I'd rather race more often in a slower car. 

Best quote ever. You learned what I had to learned over the years. 

My friend is racing in a 87 gti having tons of fun.  The fun is track time. Not high HP cars but track time. Learning more  learning learning learning.  More track time.

Unfortunately I have a 220 000km A3 worned to death. Can't track anymore but will get back at it someday. ?

15 hours ago, Corey said:

And when you race a slow car, you get more time per lap! ? <-- Says the guy with a tube-frame formula car on slicks... LOL! 

I'm off to a test day tomorrow! Don't even miss snowboarding right now. 

More fun to drive a slow-car fast than it is to drive a fast-car slow!  The caveat for me is that the slow-car should be able to at least be competitive.  Which reminds me, I need to find a way to eek a little more power out of the 944 or drop some weight.

Snowboarding has been pushed to the back of my mind now that the warm weather is here to stay.  Cars and golf are on my mind at the moment.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mike T said:

2014 Audi S6, acquired used.   Scary fast.   Would love to tighten up the suspension some. 

Insane potential also. https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_40tfsi_s6s7.html

Monster in the making. I think 717 ft tq could turn the earth? ?

Edited by Poloturbo

Love it!  I was debating something similar on my race car.  But leaving it as-is was a lot less work.  ?  I couldn't daily drive something that ostentatious.  

And LOL at the 'Sock Shack' logo in the background!  

if I could figure out to post a photo  I would show a rust bucket of what is left of a 1956 190SL that is being sent to Germany and have the MB factory restore it..  seems like maybe 5% of the original car will be used. - 

the owner must have very deep pockets.

1 hour ago, C5 Golfer said:

if I could figure out to post a photo 

Hi Al,

The amount of photos that have been posted to these forums so far is about 12 GB.  This significantly increases the monthly cost of operation.  Going forward, uploading photos and attachments is enabled for subscribing members.  See here for more info.  If you don't want to subscribe, I'd recommend free hosting elsewhere like http://www.tinypic.com or Google Photos.  Then you can post the link to the photo here and it will appear inline.

In UK they both have that reputation, as stated.

The SLK is now called the SLC here and it's not bad. I liked the bigger versions better, and the AMG GT is the one I'd have. The cheaper SLC was well equipped and both that and the mid range one are heavily discounted here - the headline price isn't what you pay. I didn't drive the big boy, but the other ones were competent but not particularly interesting. They have the trick folding roof thing if you like that.

The z3 I've not driven and because they really do have a poor image here. I had a Z4 which I liked a lot - more boisterous than the SLC cars.

Of those two I'd go for the Mercedes, which are refined. Here the Merc is for "ladies who lunch", rather than their hairdressers.

Ok car nuts, who has owned, or has driven, both old Merc SLK and BMW Z3? Pros and cons, ease and priciness of maintenance, weaknesses?

I've only driven the Z3 in a race school.  It struck me as an underpowered convertible cruiser.  Top down rolling at medium speeds is it's forte.  Suspension was shockingly soft and ponderous.  If I had to choose between a Miata (any year) and a Z3, I'd pick the Miata for the lower cost and better support in the aftermarket.