Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

9 minutes ago, Chouinard said:

You have enough clearance to run that on the QEW during the winter?

It's on coilovers, I raise it a bit for winter, (but not as much as i should) And lower back down in the spring.   I do feel the big chunks of snow that fall off trucks bounce along the floor as I drive over them.  Haven't gotten stuck with it yet, good winter tires are key

Chouinard - thanks.  Black rims are police spec, hence the winter use.

Poloturbo- yes RWD, no hemi, i have the v6, but with some mods: intake, headers, exhaust, tranny shift kit, engine tune...  it's a blast to drive, and better fuel economy  then the hemi

My daily/tow is a GMC Yukon. I had a WRX with Bilsteins and anti-sway bars, Recaro fixed back seat.  No matter what I did to the WRX, it was not as fun as the lightweight, track prepared RX7 that I have.  I was also doing a lot of road trips with the WRX and driving out to a Sun Valley, Aspen, Telluride was a huge pain when trying to load gear, I had to be selective which what I brought, now I can bring almost anything.  I will have to say I miss the high speed travel, passing power and “fuel economy” of the WRX over the Yukon, but the Yukon is a better fit for me.

6A07BCCC-0894-4CAB-AD86-F873DCBC39BC.jpeg

1CA8F66E-9CD0-422B-8DE7-B4767511E7BE.jpeg

E6E054C2-D871-40E3-B1CB-E64E6912A849.jpeg

Edited by breeseomatic
  • Like 1

Great selection of cars.

That RX7 was one of my favorite. My grandad had one racing. A 1983 if I recall. 

Also was a fan of the one rallying for Vermont. Amazing chain saw sound.

Great toy haulers. Perfect for throwing the boards without a rack.

The WRX HB is perfect also daily. Tried a few Sti's but a Mitsubishi fan at heart.

Edited by Poloturbo

You all have some nice rides. I’ve always driven cheap power. Call me a “late bloomer”...didn’t have anything worth mentioning (except my Jeep, 85 CJ7 with many upgrades) until the kids came along and I started taking life seriously. Had a 99 Buick Regal GS with the supercharged 3.8. Then an 01 Audi A4 Avant. Loved that one but after dealing with notorious sludge problems we bought an 11 Optima SX. Wifey drives the cars, I drive a company car and haul the fam around in a Tahoe. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the cheapest Porch money can buy in the UK. I've never owned an "automatic" car before this. Seven speeds, dual-clutch, lightning fast shifts. It's surprisingly controllable, and you need it to be. This generation Cayman has 4-cylinder turbo engines -  it pulls like a train over a wide range, although motoring journalists don't like the sound. You really need corners for these.3493-1136.thumb.jpg.57093368aeb86a0687d86aa764af0756.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philw said:

You really need corners for these.3493-1136.thumb.jpg.57093368aeb86a0687d86aa764af0756.jpg

Nice! I drove an older (2006?) base Cayman S at a school. Super nice car inside and out, and the handling/power was an exquisite balance. It jumped way up my "someday I'll buy one" list. 

29 minutes ago, Poloturbo said:

Very nices Vettes C5. I Guess thoses are C6 ;) would love to try one.

Awesome Cayman Phil. The last gen seems incredible and the torque of the 4cyl turbo killer. Nice color. 

yes - both are C6 Grandsports.   - my name suggests a C5 but that was about 3 years a go when I switched.  Had a Torch Red C5 coupe --  And bought a 2013 Black C6  when I sold the C5. Then I missed Red Corvette - so I bought another  C6 GS - the Torch Red is a 2012 cuz I could not decide which color I liked the best.

Edited by C5 Golfer

20 hours ago, philw said:

This is the cheapest Porch money can buy in the UK. I've never owned an "automatic" car before this. Seven speeds, dual-clutch, lightning fast shifts. It's surprisingly controllable, and you need it to be. This generation Cayman has 4-cylinder turbo engines -  it pulls like a train over a wide range, although motoring journalists don't like the sound. You really need corners for these.3493-1136.thumb.jpg.57093368aeb86a0687d86aa764af0756.jpg

lovely car, Phil.  so is the landscape.  where is that, exactly/roughly ?

my first right side driving experience was in Brisbane in July.  it had it's own sort of amphetamine effect.  complacency seemed more of a threat than any fixed object.

48 minutes ago, davekempmeister said:

...   where is that, exactly/roughly ?

my first right side driving experience was in Brisbane in July.  it had it's own sort of amphetamine effect.  complacency seemed more of a threat than any fixed object.

I really don't notice switching sides, so long as I'm in a car which is designed for the roads it's on. Driving a UK car in Europe isn't great. The riskiest time is when the roads are empty, when your reactions tend to go with the car rather than the fact that you're in a different place.

That's Scotland - somewhere south of Glencoe I think. Scottish people may correct me on that - the camera I had didn't record GPS. Rather a fine place, and not too busy for driving. I live in the bit where all the software is, which is flat and full of traffic, so this is very different. 

(The cars are I think universally hated by motoring journalists, but then I disagree with most snowboard "journalists" so nothing new there. I really would not want a manual gear shift on this, either in traffic [too much hassle] or at speed, when the manual's slower and there's plenty enough still to do.)

Edited by philw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a good long time since I've been here on Bomber and I'm happy to be back. I'm also pleased to see that there are other car guys here and thought some might appreciate my ride.

This is a 2014 Westfield S2000 and I built it from the ground up in 2014. It's a mixed use car and I use it on the road for fun or mount fat slicks and autocross it. It's powered by a 2.0L Honda engine from an early Honda S2000. The engine has aftermarket control, ITB's and stainless headers and puts out about 250 hp. The car weighs 1270 lbs so it pulls really hard and corners like a Kessler on a firm groomer. I've taken about 50 FTD's at SCCA solo events with it and won my state points championship 3 years running.

It's the least practical thing I've ever owned and at the same time the most fun. It will get from 0-60 in the mid 3's and 0-100 in less than 8 seconds and the noise is amazing.

Does anyone else here autocross? It would seem that those that like the precision and G's a race board gives would also love autocross.

Dave

3 wheeling Westie.jpg

side.jpg

engine.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

What, Caymans?  They are universally beloved, at least in R&T and C&D which are the only mags I read.

Yeah, in UK at least. Our journalists like manual gearboxes and they don't like the flat-four turbo engines. A conservative bunch. That said, some of them don't seem to know where the engine actually is.
---

Westfield: looks like my business partner's Caterham. I won't get in it; way to quick for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

Does anyone else here autocross? It would seem that those that like the precision and G's a race board gives would also love autocross.

Oh yes!  That's exactly my thoughts; I swear that one is cross-training for the other.  But the cost per minute of snowboarding is a fraction of driving the car.  I have a thread with some older videos here: 

That Westfield looks like a wild ride! I had an S2000 for many years before, I can imagine having that power with less than 1/2 the weight!  However, I've learned that I'm faster (relative to others in similar cars) in lower-power cars.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Corey said:

Oh yes!  That's exactly my thoughts; I swear that one is cross-training for the other.  But the cost per minute of snowboarding is a fraction of driving the car.  I have a thread with some older videos here: 

That Westfield looks like a wild ride! I had an S2000 for many years before, I can imagine having that power with less than 1/2 the weight!  However, I've learned that I'm faster (relative to others in similar cars) in lower-power cars.  

I love your car. I've toyed with a FF for solo or something like a LeGrand to run in BM but in the end I stick with a Seven clone in DM. I'm 6'4" and that limits the little cars I can get in and I really like to be able to legally sort the car's basics on the road  - now if there's any place where you could run a FF legally on the road it would be Montana. The stuff you see on the roads here is shocking!

dave

• 1 month later...