Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

5 hours ago, Corey said:

Neat GTI!  I haven't been in one of those for a few years.  Light is right.

This past weekend we hosted an 'experience' autocross day in conjunction with a track day.  Come out, do some laps on the road course and also the autocross.  As one could imagine, the road course was busier than the autocross, so we weren't very busy.  I drove a Suzuki Swift GTI and a right-hand-drive JDM Subaru Legacy B4.  The Swift was pretty mushy, but I confirmed that I really don't connect with RHD cars!  I can drive on the left, or center, but my brain goes to mush when sitting on the right side.  I suspect it would get better with practice, but I really struggled!  

I drove a RHD rental MBenz SUV in Australia last summer (2017).  Driving out of the airport in Brisbane, I was scared.   Borderline terrified.

It turned out to be a great experience but I was relieved to return the car two weeks later and in the same condition.  The only time that I nearly entered the roadway incorrectly was when I saw a teenager on a bike riding on the wrong side of a divided street (which would be the correct side in North America) and I nearly lapsed.  Thankfully it was a low speed residential area at about 0630 a.m. and there were no other cars.  

oh, and it had paddle shifters.  that helped too.  a lot.

Edited by davekempmeister
grammar

Even for me, and I have lived 1/3 of my life in South Africa, it takes a bit of adjustment, when I change the side. I have to remember on which side is the most of the car's volume and weather I have to do "short" or "long" turn when turning in an intersection. 

It's fairly easy if your car matches the local custom (so if you hire a car on site, for example). If I take my RHD machine over the channel to the rest of Europe, that's more of a challenge as you really are "on the wrong side". It's worst if the roads are empty and you have few clues that you need to be on the other side. First thing in the morning is the worst time, in my experience.

Going back home is odd too - I'm often just a bit confused about which side to go on, if I've been away a lot. That's safe, as confused means I have to work it out. It's when you don't realize you have a problem... that you have a problem.

6 hours ago, philw said:

Going back home is odd too - I'm often just a bit confused about which side to go on, if I've been away a lot. 

The UK is confusing because people will park facing either direction, whereas in Canada or the US we only park in the direction of travel. So you’re driving properly on the left when you come across a car parked the way it would be in Canada ... easy to get confused and figure you’re on the wrong side or wandered onto a one-way street . 

sort of a left hand drive car.   

i just watched the on board video of one of these setting a lap record at Nurburgring and it's just nuts.  I couldn't get it to link but it's easy to find.  The VW that wins Pikes Peak by a lot is fascinating too.  

Image-1.jpg

Edited by davekempmeister

I should clarify: my RHD issues are the way a snap-oversteer correction feels. It should be the same, but something just feels different enough that I over or under correct. 

The spacing left-right is odd, but I can adapt fairly quickly. 

Here's that Audi Nurburgring lap that Dave was talking about: 

And a good article about the driver, team, and car: https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a22102343/porsche-919-ring-bernhard-bellof/

• 1 month later...

Small updates even if it's not reallly "worthy" of other cars here.

The 425whp setup in the talon tsi awd will go in a 1997 gs-t spyder.  Nothing like a 500 hp convertible. I have 39 000$ in bill's for this car paid 4k$. Guess I had a good deal?

The swap is happening in 2 weeks. 

500hp+ and 3020 pounds... happy days....will gladly race my brother in law 657whp Stealth turbo RT AWD. Will see. He is at 3800 pounds. 

I'm unsub. Can I ad pics?

On 10/21/2018 at 2:57 AM, Poloturbo said:

Only tried it in Barbados lately. 2 days and it's ok. Would not daily a RHD daily. How can you get your order at Tim Hortons???

Very simple our drive thrus are set up on the opposite side of the building so its still at the drivers door lol. Being scottish i usually drive RHD but i have driven LHD in the states when visiting my girlfriend, never really found any issues with the switch though her car is an altima with paddle shifters i do imagine id find it somewhat odd driving stick LHD.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up. Pretty much bored with a broken Talus in 3 places.

Season is over. And all that Covid-19 confinement.

Any projects going on or car toy for this summer?

Just finished mine.

443whp  on the dyno eclipse gst spyder. 

Forged motor. Big brake CTS V brakes, new coil over stiff suspension 12k/6k, sway bars, 18", big front mount etc.

Cant wait to drive it. 

20200219_144521.jpg

20200219_155317.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Bumping this up. Pretty much bored with a broken Talus in 3 places.

Season is over. And all that Covid-19 confinement.

Any projects going on or car toy for this summer?

Just finished mine.

443whp  on the dyno eclipse gst spyder. 

Forged motor. Big brake CTS V brakes, new coil over stiff suspension 12k/6k, sway bars, 18", big front mount etc.

Cant wait to drive it. 

20200219_144521.jpg

20200219_155317.jpg

Nice DSM! Loved that generation body style.

My 944 is still under a tarp, driving it up and down the driveway every other week or so. Might get it on the road this weekend.

• Like 1

Cool let's see them. 🙂

Nostalgia kick in as I had a few also early 2000.

Talon tsi awd with BR20g 11.9@118mph

lapping car also.

had also one 95 tsi awd, a 2000 gtx turbo, another talon tsi awd that was my donor car for this one.

The car is still in the shop/mechanic but my engine bay isn't very clean or photo worthy lol.

This is on the Green hta with race gaz. The milder setup will be on 94 for street so less whp. Still a handful on the streets for a weekend car. Got a fully stage 2 built tranny in

Here my first one and donor. 

DSC_0353copy-1.jpg

2GB.JPG.jpg

Resized_20180807_185321.jpeg

Edited by Poloturbo

My 2015 Mazda 3 loved the twisty road from Libby to Turner Mountain! I was really wishing for AWD on the steep hairpin, but I'm stunned that they designed a car that is that tail-happy with the stability control turned off. They have some driving enthusiasts at Mazda! Of course, it's a narrow public road and you could meet someone coming down at any moment, so I left a lot of room for error/surprises. 

I had the same car at an ice race school on an oval track a few weeks prior. I wasn't going to push it, but there was 100' or more of runoff on an under-60 mph track so I ended up really tossing the car around! There's something fun about entering a corner slightly backwards in your daily commuter! 

My Formula Ford sits neglected since fall. I need to strip it to the frame and get a crack welded and check the rest of the tubing. Autocross starts in early May, pending COVID-19 progression. 😕

One of our club members ordered a C8 Corvette. I'm REALLY excited to see one in person! 

• Like 1

Mazda does make some fun cars.

Drove a few Mazda 3's and SC miatas.

Would like to try the new AWD mazda 3.

Hope you get it ready for the season. Wrenching does take soo much time. Seems like the best format for huge fun.

Love the C8. To bad manual transmission are dying.

SAVE THE MANUAL. 🙂

469538_1.jpg

My Corvettes are still sleeping but they are starting to wake up now that the sun has reappeared.  Golfing in the cold is starting to get old and need some warmer weather.  But the new Mustang Electric -- it is butt ugly . googgle the photo of it - the back end is ugly.