Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

9 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Love the C8. To bad manual transmission are dying.

SAVE THE MANUAL. 🙂

While both my cars are manual, and I love driving them, I was completely impressed by an automatic C7 Corvette. It was in the right gear at every moment on the track, and I certainly couldn't shift that fast. 

Ripping through the gears in the dogbox in my FF is freaking awesome! A little pressure on the shift knob, lift slightly off the throttle, and it's in the next gear before you get the throttle back to the floor. Epic! 

• Like 1

Both my Corvettes C6 Grand Sports are M6 -- fun to drive.. and the Mercedes is a 4 speed manual.  I think it comes down to this : If you want a fun sports car to drive thru the winding mountain roads -- a manual is the way to go -- if you want to Drive as fast as you can on an empty road with no cops - then a DCT is the way to go.  Too bad the Current Corvette Design team does not think this way.  I hope my C6s last 20 years - then I will be 93 and probably have my keys taken away.

• Like 1

Will always love manual.

Something to be said at a perfect heel and toe downshift to the next apex or powershifting double clutch at the dragstrip. 

But you are right good dct like the PDK are the future on track to be the fastest.

A dog box would be insane.

Still a bit old school as I don't really race. Just for the pleasure of driving. 

The S2000 was one of the greatest tranny I tried.

Loved the one in the ILX it's infact a Civic Si k24 with more luxury.

Hated the 7A in the G37X. Sluggish and wasn't really good.

Here my two friends at Whiteface. We are 3 guy's that really like our small scenic road trips. Can't wait this year.

20190920_110309.jpg

• Like 2

Great car that 370Z. 

Tried the G37 manual coupe and had the G37x 2 years before I crashed it. The motor is AWESOME and reliable. Mine had 290 000km.

13.5@104mph was pretty good stock AWD with a good launch.

Edited by Poloturbo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Poloturbo said:

Very cool wagon that Benz. Are they reliable?

Yes and no. Engine and drive train is. Air suspension is a fairly easy to do replacement as my rear self leveling suspension went bad. Only had to replace the OEM bags with aftermarket. Im a Shady Tree mechanic so simple fixes like Bakes/rotors etc... are not a problem. youtube is your friend. They handle amazing in the snow and although not screamers when it comes to horsepower, the HP/Torque curve is virtually the same on the e350 and my previous 99' e320

• Like 1

1967 mustang named "Betty" 

347 stroker motor, 3 speed c4 manual valve body transmission built by Dynamic in CT.  Locked rear end 4.11 rear gears (not fun to turn) lol

ran 12.6 in the 1/4  people always bother you where you go, and ask if it's fast and if it can do a burnout. 

2005 ducati 749 dark good fun great conversation piece

2004 40th anniversary mustang gt.  lame and slow but loud and people like it.  smh

1233228_4673111564235_217500792_o.jpg

19029509_1462643987126475_6220192101150146880_n.jpg

34318347_1841288759261994_1172822665069592576_o.jpg

Edited by cbrkid1981
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cbrkid1981 said:

1967 mustang named "Betty" 

347 stroker motor, 3 speed c4 manual valve body transmission built by Dynamic in CT.  Locked rear end 4.11 rear gears (not fun to turn) lol

ran 12.6 in the 1/4  people always bother you where you go, and ask if it's fast and if it can do a burnout. 

2005 ducati 749 dark good fun great conversation piece

2004 40th anniversary mustang gt.  lame and slow but loud and people like it.  smh

I had a built New Edge Mustang too... with an MMR 1000 race engine and Vortech YSI blower - only stock parts left on  it were body panels lol

IMG_6457.JPG

• Like 2

Blow the heater hose on the 944, specifically a ball valve blew up that one of the previous owners installed next to the heater control valve. Removed the busted valve, replaced it with hose, filled and bled the system. Why would anyone install a ball valve on the heater line? The heater control valve is fully functional. 

17 hours ago, SnowFerret said:

Blow the heater hose on the 944, specifically a ball valve blew up that one of the previous owners installed next to the heater control valve. Removed the busted valve, replaced it with hose, filled and bled the system. Why would anyone install a ball valve on the heater line? The heater control valve is fully functional. 

Maybe the control valve was changed too and left the ball valve for next time ?? Always find it hard to second guess how anyone else thinks !

One of 3 griffith 500's that year 1994. There are several griffith 400's but the 500s didnt seem to make it over and yes, that is right hand drive...

Also, this one made it over as I spent the 3 months to import it and do all the paperwork.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, Poloturbo said:

Love the C8. To bad manual transmission are dying.

SAVE THE MANUAL. 🙂

Each to their own.

It's funny. Here in the UK cars were almost all manual until very recently; automatic cars were looked at as a weird American thing. There were very few automatic cars around here. Those we did have typically had three gears and were significantly more expensive to buy than their more efficient manual equivalents. The only place most UK people came across automatics was when renting them in the US or elsewhere. There was definitely a sneery attitude here to automatics, which were seen as expensive, slow, and not for "real" drivers, whatever they may be. 

To me, those US rental cars made sense on American roads, but not here, where roads are very different. All my own cars were manual as were those of everyone I know.

Until the PDK came along. Seven speeds and embarrassingly quicker than the manual alternative.

Our motoring journalists are very traditional - the last time I looked they were still mostly reviewing manual gearbox cars and insisting that those are what "real drivers" should be driving. I suppose their predecessors bemoaned the arrival of Synchromesh in a similar manner.

I find the PDK really good, and don't feel any reduction in control. I'm not sure exactly what they're doing with the management system, but it's tuned so that you can control things very well simply with your right foot. The paddles are there, but I use them much less than I'd have expected. 

Each to their own, but I don't hanker for the old stuff.

Today's paddle shifters are the reason why. 

I modern computerized transmission can  shift in .02 seconds vs the fastest human with a clutch, at about .15 seconds. Where naught to 60 or 100 times are now in the sub three's, this makes a difference and is causing people to have to make a choice. Do they want the feel of speed, or truly be the fastest. 

I suspect there will be clutchless manuals at some point to bridge the gap here (full tree, and not just paddle in a different place), but I still like my manual transmission.