Note to New Members ×

Northwave .951

Jack M

7 hours ago, Tramp said:

Step in - is an atavism!

the next step will probably be carbon design! 

You mean a negative atavism? - it's a step forward, not a throwback.

Whatever, put the step-in on those and I'd have some.

Carbon sounds fun too. I just think we need some new stuff.

I am doubting a carbon version anytime soon.  Everything you see in this current .951 boot is injection molded plastic.  Working with carbon fiber requires different molding techniques and an autoclave.  I am interested to see what kind of liner options will be available with the boot.

The best hope for a carbon boot might be from these guys.  https://dodgeskiboots.com/  They seem to be very firmly rooted in the ski race scene.  They have in the FAQ section a question about snowboard boots saying there is nothing planned.  

Agree that a stepin version would be awesome ... but this is awesome regardless. I'm curious to see what they are cooking up insofar as stepin bindings are concerned (@puhutes mentioned something of the sort was in the works in a different thread). If that works out I'd certainly be interested in trying these out. My current UPZ are still pretty solid but getting long in the tooth so it would be cool to replace them in the next year or so.

• Like 2

Hi Guys.

I had UPZ with Step in - for easy 4-5Years. I had so much problems with my shins. I tried everything, foamed Liners, Spring Systems, tonques... Just everything.

After a Race camp with I had the knowledge, that I am not alone with these Problems. The solution could be the Northwave Boot. I had a chance to buy some old Northwaves Point 950's. No more Step in... I didnt Care, because the feeling is so much better... I took an old Raichle liner - I felt 100% better and my problems were solved. 

Its great to see, that somebody will make a better Northwave. Just try it, guys. If the new 951 feels like the old one - you don't care about Step in...

Just my two Cents... :-)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, neanderthal said:

How much and how long do I have to wait/save for these?

I love the yellow

Hey guys, thanks for all of your replies.

Neanderthal... You'll have to wait until Fall 2017.

We were very lucky to get a modern version of the same plastic and the same colour from the same company! :biggthump

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Yellow is the original .950 colour. They have said they are shooting for fall 2017 but have not given price info other than "not $500 but still cheaper than current .950 prices". 

- Hey Neil! I've always written "less than $1000" and certainly not the black market prices currently going skyward for the 20 year old Point.950...

- Hey Ace! We originally looked at carbon options as the moulds are much cheaper. We've even had meetings at a local carbon company who does boots and tongues in carbon for other companies and it really doesn't look like current carbon technology will work properly for an Alpine Snowboard boot. 

- To all the Intec questions (thanks Queenqueg) We will work on step-in at a later date. It will not be Intec.

• Like 3

Very cool that you guys were able to resurrect the boot!!!

The "non-intec" step in's you're thinking about making wont, or will, work with TD SI or F2 SI bindings?

Just asking as I think a great deal of riders on the board are heavily invested in these particular bindings (well I am anyway LOL)

Edited by big canuck

Phutues vielen dank für die Information. Viele Karver hier auf BOL sind nicht Racers, ich würde schätzen daß 80+% von uns FinTec und F2 Intec Bindung benutzen.  Hoffentlich wird die nächste Version mit Bomber TD3 und F2 Binding funktionieren. 

Thank you for keeping us up-to-date and seeing this project through to Production.  I know this entire community is excited about this .

Edited by GeoffV
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Puhutes said:

They won't cost more than 1000... or are you suggesting we sell them for 2000-3000 Euros? :confused:

I think he was just thinking about selling his original .900 and get for that around 2-3k (current ebay-prices). Then he could easily buy one of your new .951. There would be even enough money left for ordering a new board.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Puhutes said:

Hey guys, thanks for all of your replies.

Neanderthal... You'll have to wait until Fall 2017.

We were very lucky to get a modern version of the same plastic and the same colour from the same company! :biggthump

- Hey Neil! I've always written "less than $1000" and certainly not the black market prices currently going skyward for the 20 year old Point.950...

- Hey Ace! We originally looked at carbon options as the moulds are much cheaper. We've even had meetings at a local carbon company who does boots and tongues in carbon for other companies and it really doesn't look like current carbon technology will work properly for an Alpine Snowboard boot. 

- To all the Intec questions (thanks Queenqueg) We will work on step-in at a later date. It will not be Intec.

My question is "when are  you start taking pre-orders"??

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, erazz said:

Not trying to knock the effort here.  It's a lot of money so they probably did their homework...

But I have to ask.  Why make a replica?  Why use the exact same shape and exact same plastic?  Is there nothing in the original that could not be improved?

I would think that with the popularity of the existing NOS stuff within the race community, the play-it-safe strategy would be to start with an exact replica, and then improve from there. 

7 minutes ago, erazz said:

Not trying to knock the effort here.  It's a lot of money so they probably did their homework...

But I have to ask.  Why make a replica?  Why use the exact same shape and exact same plastic?  Is there nothing in the original that could not be improved?

I'm no expert and not involved in this at all...but

I would suspect they are trying to establish a baseline to build on.

You need to duplicate the originals as closely as possible in order to determine if you were able to accurately reproduce the boot.

Once it's determined that they are as close to the original as possible then start improving.

If they added Intec heel compatibility right away and the boots did not feel like the originals you would never know if its the modifications to fit the Intec heels or if they missed something in the process of copying the orig design

These seem to  have cult status among racers but nobody can explain the allure. If they do not match  as closely as possible the original design they will have trouble gaining traction in the market I suspect.

Regardless, it's great to see some innovation in this space!!

• Like 2