Note to New Members ×

Northwave .951

Jack M

I don't see the flex as an issue (unless they made the tongue very stiff). As Philw mentioned the flex is controlled by the spring and you can customize the springs to what ever flex you want.

Our Can$ is rather poor currently, it's equivalent to our neighbors to the south spending $1300 of a pair of boots (add 13% tax on top).

4 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Great boot, love the features but I can't justify a grand for a boot. Add in no intec, a new thermo liner (there is no mention of what type of liner the boot has) and I am looking at a divorce if I buy these :argue: The racing community will be all over these boots. I would love to try a pair of course. Maybe some day they will have some demos, but that is probably a pipe dream for a New England rider.

Right, but consider that the tag on a custom board is about the same price, and if the .951 lives up to the reputation, all of the boards you own will ride like better versions of themselves. In other words, that 1k entry fee is a multiplier. And by all accounts, the plastic will last a long time.

If the stock liners aren't 'all that', you can re-use whatever you're molded into at present.

From the look of things, the shell ought to work out well, assuming the bootboard isn't pimp-steep, and if the internals are foot-shaped.

Too bad there's no solid sole option.

As to the New England scene, I'd host the east coast demos if the company needs a reputable representative. Sugarloaf certainly has a good environment for 'go, no-go' testing.

• Like 1

they look rather tall - have someone with really big calf muscles experienced them for that? due to that I have no comfort even in raichle sb shells, doing fine in head stratos without side wings (and with side wings there's too much lateral stiffness which I dislike too..)

13 hours ago, charliechocolate said:

I'd like to see more than just CG-renders.

By all means, go check out (for example) Bad Gastein World Cup last month. The very first part of the video, you can see Vic Wild riding our new boots... In this specific event, he had been riding the boots for a week and went from 15th place riding his old 950s to 10th place with the Point.951

https://www.facebook.com/130657527048707/videos/1200701120044337/

Max Carving has uploaded many WC videos here... just take a look: https://www.facebook.com/Max_Carving-130657527048707/?fref=ts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puhutes said:

By all means, go check out (for example) Bad Gastein World Cup last month. The very first part of the video, you can see Vic Wild riding our new boots... In this specific event, he had been riding the boots for a week and went from 15th place riding his old 950s to 10th place with the Point.951

https://www.facebook.com/130657527048707/videos/1200701120044337/

Max Carving has uploaded many WC videos here... just take a look: https://www.facebook.com/Max_Carving-130657527048707/?fref=ts

Not sure you're helping your cause.  Vic, wearing very shiny new boots, wipes out twice in that run.  Are we to contribute those wipeouts to the new boots or just his rise in the standings to the new boots???  (Pro debate tip- It can't be one without the other.)

WC videos is really not what people are asking for... I watch these all the time it's really hard to tell anything about the boots from the typical angles. The folks here are asking for still photos of the boots from every angle. Inside and out.  You have a chance to control that story (marketing 101) with nice pretty well lit pictures.  Once a BOL member or extreme carving forum member gets a pair they will be taking their own photos (maybe in poor lighting, etc) and posting them online.

Good luck!

Hello 

The time, effort and money required to get this project up and running must have been incredible.  Add to this that the talent of the team involved which if I recall correctly had one of the original NW boot designers on the team ... amazing!  

The boots look fantastic, but I am actually as excited about the possibilities of a new step in binding designed by hardcore alpine riders/racers specifically for the flex of NW boots, that don't accept a heel piece!  I would imagine that this excellent team of designers is going to work hard to de-throne F2 bindings as the go to bindings for racers!  

New step in bindings are a product that I am looking forward to seeing clear pictures of:)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Not sure you're helping your cause.  Vic, wearing very shiny new boots, wipes out twice in that run.  Are we to contribute those wipeouts to the new boots or just his rise in the standings to the new boots???  (Pro debate tip- It can't be one without the other.)

WC videos is really not what people are asking for... I watch these all the time it's really hard to tell anything about the boots from the typical angles. The folks here are asking for still photos of the boots from every angle. Inside and out.  You have a chance to control that story (marketing 101) with nice pretty well lit pictures.  Once a BOL member or extreme carving forum member gets a pair they will be taking their own photos (maybe in poor lighting, etc) and posting them online.

Good luck!

Yes, you're right... my apologies, Pretty much everyone at that point DNF or made at least one mistake on that run that day.

I thought the video made was a greatd start to show what we are offering and the details are pretty amazing!

We did post a pic of boots in box on their way to Japan Snow Expo...

bootsJapan.jpg

• Like 4

.951 from the Japanese snowshow (courtesy of one of my Japanese friends who I lifted the image from without asking for permission oops :-)).

Apparently these are the WC version, size C (about 27.0 size) the only size currently available.  Guessing it looks like a standard liner, wrap liner and another wrap liner.  I am told they are very stiff, but presume you can adjust the flex similar to how the EC guys do it.

I have to say...these are looking very very sweet.

NW.jpg

Edited by kipstar
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2017 at 6:13 PM, 1xsculler said:

What is so wrong with the boots we have now?  What would you like to see in a re-design?

Different boots fit different people.  I discovered, finally, that my foot looks much more like the inside of a UPZ than a Deeluxe.  No more heel lift.  This is not uncommon among Deeluxe users.  I can see why a lot of racers use UPZ.  But they're not *perfect*.  Maybe .951s would fit even better, I don't know, but .950s sure are coveted on the world cup.  Good examples of Northwave .950s fetch crazy prices on ebay.

7 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Are we to assume that the stock price of old .950's on the world market is about to plummet ?

When the new models start winning races, yes... until then, probably not.  That said UPZ has won plenty of women's races and a few men's and their prices aren't astronomical.

2 hours ago, lonbordin said:

When the new models start winning races, yes... until then, probably not.  That said UPZ has won plenty of women's races and a few men's and their prices aren't astronomical.

last 2 women's WC won in .951 (by our' siberian beauty BTW:). maybe it's time to discount UPZ? ;)

16585502_248727298913265_732840217775020

• Like 1

You can adjust the flex to some extend with the springs like we do in EC on the .900 ( some topics dedicated to the spring choice on EC forum)...but don't expect miracles: the idea is to use 80% of control by the spring, and the rest is by the tongue and the flex of the plastic:

The .950 is to me and many EC crew's opinion too stiff for freecarving, so I assume the .951 will be to some extend if it recreates the same boot...I recommend anyway trying the boots for those who never had the chance to ride the first generation ( especially those in the US where the boot was barely sold/seen): the design is truely well thought and the boot is a different ride: the sole is very short and can also expect to lower riding angles by a few especially on wider boards without overhanging...Maybe Bomber will be able to get demo pairs quickly?

Lets hope this is a success so they can propose a softer plastic shell version ( .901) that will be better for freecarving and freeriding.

One thing about the price: it is expensive, but the solidity is extreme and my .900 are riding each season since 2002 and despite change of 2 buckles are almost new!...So if taken into account it puts the price to a normal level i guess ( how many boards/bindings have you spent money on in 15 years?).

Price of the old ones will fall down soon...so its time for selling them oldies ;)

Edited by nils
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, WinterGold said:

She is not on the new version ...

probably, but her man is sure in new version, and russians have a proverb saying "husband and wife is one of kind (satan)" :) as i know - she had difficult relations with .950 too, but time flies...

i think that from marketing POV boots have to be visually obviously different from old version - like raichle/deeluxe/head/upz had shown us all :) but maybe that plastic-fantastic can only be handcrafted in yellow leader color only? :)

7 hours ago, terekhov said:

... i think that from marketing POV boots have to be visually obviously different from old version - like raichle/deeluxe/head/upz had shown us all :) but maybe that plastic-fantastic can only be handcrafted in yellow leader color only? :)

As an owner of a Medieval Madness Remake pinball, I'd disagree with that, although you're probably being ironic anyway. The reason those other manufacturers have to change the colour every year or so is that they have made zero changes to the technology in the last n years...

In this case, the Northwave remakes have the benefit of 15 years or so of people going on about how good these boots no one could get, which is better than quite a lot of marketing. But it only works if you don't muck with it. We must believe that what they're selling is what those people have been going on about all these years. Hence the first version has to be pretty much a remake as much as they can sensibly make it so. Check the MMR pinball for how well that can work.

If that works, then I'd expect either technical improvements, or colour changes, depending on how they choose to invest.

• Like 1

I bought a new pair of UPZ-RC10's quite literally several minutes before I saw that this announcement had "dropped". I think I still would have stuck with the RC-10's but I'm interested to see what future improvements are made once the initial batch goes out ... in particular I'm interested in hearing more about this non-intec stepin binding situation.

1 hour ago, philw said:

... other manufacturers have to change the colour every year or so is that they have made zero changes to the technology in the last n years ...

Well, that's not totally true. There have been some significant improvements to the UPZ boots. The new buckles are way better than the old ones (which were pretty dumb), being able to lift the tongue to get in is handy (particularly if you are in the stiff, grey tongues). The locking bits for the plastic/adjustable ankle hinge has been improved upon, they come with built-in t-nuts for intec heels now etc ... . But yes, the overall shell design remains unchanged. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philw said:

As an owner of a Medieval Madness Remake pinball, I'd disagree with that, although you're probably being ironic anyway. 

The point being that when you're not riding bottomless powder with no one else around, you're playing pinball? You're like a real-life Ferris Bueller. And I'm like Ferris Bueller's sister.

• Like 1