Note to New Members ×

Northwave .951

Jack M

4 hours ago, philw said:

In this case, the Northwave remakes have the benefit of 15 years or so of people going on about how good these boots no one could get, which is better than quite a lot of marketing. But it only works if you don't muck with it. We must believe that what they're selling is what those people have been going on about all these years. Hence the first version has to be pretty much a remake as much as they can sensibly make it so. 

I agree.  The hype surrounding these is legendary in its own right.  Here's hoping the reboot (pun!) lives up to that hype.  

11 hours ago, philw said:

As an owner of a Medieval Madness Remake pinball, I'd disagree with that, although you're probably being ironic anyway.

not an irony- but simple question on distinguishing retro plastic from new make on WC podium. if you want to pinpoint and say "see, 951!" - you have hard time to do just that

and i hope too that simple clone of vintage boots will be used as a base for furter evolutionary improvs. hardbooting definitely in need of more different boots with different shapes: i never trust to tales of any one true best boot, but variety is the king.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2017 at 1:04 AM, nils said:

the design is truely well thought and the boot is a different ride: the sole is very short and can also expect to lower riding angles by a few especially on wider boards without overhanging...

This would be true, if they didn't do grossly biased shortening, same like UPZ. The heel block is so far under the heel ant toe block even sticks out a bit, that you pretty much can not take advantage of all that "shortness" on the heel - binding has to be biased towards toe edge to centre the foot over the board. It also creates the rear bail entry problems, as well as higher ramp. 

I really hoped they'd fix this on the reissue, and add space for the intek heels... But, as someone said, the reissue had to be a knock off of the original, to live on old glory and hype. 

Here is pics showing how my 2002 boots look like...some seasons with 30 days on them, some with only 15..at least they last!

TD3 pic showing how small the footprint is on a 28.5 mondo ( D shell) > I remember on the TD2 it was an issue because people with smaller sizes could not narrow the binding enough for beeing able to close them. It does not feel like its a biased way to shorten things..just a smart way to do it! Only other way around would be like the concept of short boots there was in the ski industry around 1985...forgot the exact name but the idea was to have one size fits all sole length, with the boot overhanging each sole depending on its size ( maybe someone recalls them.?)

Am not sure they are rebuilding it similar just for hype...but at least to build something that is working at first...the mold cost is in the 300 K range I am sure, so if it was me, I would first spend on reliable/proven, then go from there if it works and make new molds with intec style heel for example.

NW285.JPG

NW285TD.JPG

• Like 1

I have never seen the point 950 in person but is there is any capability to have lateral canting on the boots like UPZ or deeluxe?

I like my UPZ to have dials on outside of the boots to have outward cant and inside dial to be neutral.

I assume new point 951 do not have any capability to do outward cant??

Yes the .900/950 have a modifiable lateral canting with an "eccentric" part that acts as hinge on the other side of the pic I took, but it is a very small angle choice if I recall .Will try to take a picture of mine but am not sure you can get better than 1° in each direction laterally. Will also measure distances on my 28.5 asap.

Thnx for the Look Integral reference! I remember using them as a kid on rental skiis! The low profile bindings were cool but i remember when lots of frozen snow stuck there, it was a pain in the ... to be able to lock in again > you could not see under your boot to see if snow was stuck..Also they were VERY slippery, and you could not walk steep hard snow with them ( no rubber sole) ( pics from a cool ski forum).

900x900px-LL-f702377e_LOOKnordicaintegral.jpeg

LL.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slapos said:

@nils

what is the distance from the top of toe piece until the end of the heel piece where bails go?

I am curious how they compare to UPZ.

cheers

On my .900

Liner size 26.5

Boot length toe to heel 28.5cm

That distance from bail to bail is 25.5cm

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nils said:

It does not feel like its a biased way to shorten things.

NW285.JPG

What do you mean no bias? Entire sole is shifted (biased) towards the toes. In return, one has to shift (bias the binding blocks/bails towards the toes too, otherwise the pressure points of the foot sit too close to the heel edge and too far from toe edge. 

• 4 months later...

Hey guys! I thought I'd post an update on how our boot project is doing.

We started production on 17.07.2017 and the predicted finish is the beginning of Septemper (this includes the couple of week vacation Italy takes in August) 

We've had pretty good success with the test boots with a big surprise #1 Europa Cup the first time wearing the Point.951 by Bormolini B-Shell (in Scuol, Switzerland) 

Pictured above are all 4 shell sizes A, B, C, D (Mondo: 23-29.5)

Extra in box will include an extra spring set and sticker. We will also offer spare parts and accessories.

If you have any other questions regarding the boot or the project, feel free to send me a message.

production.jpg

Bormolini.jpg

• Like 6

The thing is do you want to go racing or carving...for carving I had the problem when I want to go deep into my knees that the boot was blowing ...which means it gets wider in the ankle area which let the heel slip upwards....with no bending of the knees and bending your hip in a 90 degree ankle ...race style....the boot works excellent without any doubts.....second thing is which liner it will come with...thats the biggest question mark! A proper well fitting liner takes a while until its really working! UPZ for example was delivering a crappy liner which was really a disaster for the first 3 year...now its excellent! If somebody has problems with his shin...its 99% that the boot is too big!