Note to New Members ×

dealing with snow and ice buildup on fintecs and other issues

freezy

Hello everyone.

How do you all handle the snow and ice buildup on fintecs? I keep a not-so little tool on me and I generally have to smack the ice and snow off of them every chairlift ride up. Annoying as hell, 'specially when it's freezing and I've got to pull my hands out of my lobster mitts. And any little walk in powder conditions means I'm not clicking in without cleaning them. Kinda detracts from the ease and convenience of having them. Is there a better way?

Also, those fintecs are slippery as hell. I love being able to click in right off the lifts without stopping, but some lifts are funky, meaning either steep and / or immediate turns required. In those situations where I can't click in right away, the rear fintec just don't allow me to control the board. It slips and slides on the board and I disembark all gook-like. Serious steez reducer. I'm about ready to throw the mother of all spiny stomp pads onboard, but the thought gives me great pause.

What to do, what to do? Hell, what do all of you do?

- Nate

P.S. Saw a license plate frame today at the local lifts. "When hell freezes over, I'll ski there too." Awesome.

Although I have yet to upgrade to Fintec's, I always spray my step-ins and bindings with 'Lubriplate' Food Grade Silicone (PN. L0723-063).

It doesn't always work 100%, but I feel it helps a lot. I feel it actually depends a lot on the snow condidtions.

Stomp Pad, end of issue. Clear ones (nobody can see them ;)) are nice on boards with a custom top sheet !

+1 on the above-pictured spiky stomp-pad. I buy 'em in bulk now, ordering a selection of clear/black. The black ones look good with the Boiler Plates (especially if you remove the decal for the stealth look). These spiky stomp pads are great, as they allow you to get snow off by massaging the underside of your boot (I find that a circling of the foot works best - think stubbing out a cigarette with your foot), but without incurring any scratching of the Fintec, as you might get if you used a metal-tipped spiky stomp-pad as other manufacturers make.

On one board I have one of those Dakine stomp pads, an old red one! But I usually just kick the snow off on my binding because I don't like how the stomp pads look, I know it's dumb but I am funny about how my boards look I will never even put stickers on my boards haha. But the Dakine stomp pads work best.

Not sure what boots you use but if you think the fin tecs are slippery the standard heel and toe pieces on UPZ are even worse I constantly slip in them!