Note to New Members ×

TD3 Standard to Step-in Conversion

Lucasgo

Have standard TD3 pre-Gumbo.  Recently picked up a used board with F2 step in bindings.  Figured I'd give Intec a shot, and now I'm curious about switching my standards to step-ins and not have to worry about changing heels or boots.

Has anyone made this conversion?  I tried searching but after various iterations I don't see it.

I see that BOL has a TD3 Upper Kit (https://www.bomberonline.com/TD3-Upper-Kit_p_34.html) at $200.  Looking at it, I don't see why I need sole blocks and lugs, just the bail.  Plus the heel receiver.  Is that toe block the same as the standard heel receiver?  Don't I just need to pull off the block shaped heel bail and insert a rounded toe bail (https://www.bomberonline.com/Trench-Digger-Bail-_p_24.html)?  I would need 2 of these at $12.  Plus the heel replacement kit (https://www.bomberonline.com/TD3-Step-in-Heel-Replacement-Kit_p_30.html).

What am I missing?  Do I need the $200 kit when I can just get the bails and heel replacement for a total of $89?

I have converted standards to step-in's. Bought the kit though. Now looking at what is required. You can modify. The only way you can make the standard heal blocks work as new step in toe blocks is file down the resting position to the same angle the step-in's require because your toe height on the boot is lower than the heal height. Other than that, it would work without buying the toe bails because their the same part number which I verified. Or just buy the toe blocks for 25.00 bucks each, use the same bails and get the heal replacement parts at 65.00 

20211224_174900[1].jpg

20211224_175013[1].jpg

Edited by snowburn

To build on what snowburn said, here's a heel block where the bail rest has been filed/Dremeled/milled down to make it function as a toe block.  The silver aluminum is where the material has been removed.  I bought the bindings like this (used) so I don't know exactly what tool was used to remove the material.

1708414423_ModifiedToeBlock.jpg.f2eff96d59af10edb2e935740d9edceb.jpg

Thanks both of you for photos and feedback! Not sure I want to dremel out the base plate, would still like to be able to switch back to standard if I wanted in the future. I'll keep looking at the parts, will start by ordering the heel kit and work from there. 

Thanks again!