Note to New Members ×

Which kind of rider are YOU?

SWriverstone

On an empty, perfect slope, which kind of rider are YOU?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. On an empty, perfect slope, which kind of rider are YOU?

• The Bomber
    • The Hula Dancer
    • The EC Hero
    • The Hazard
    • Honestly, a mix of styles!

This is an offshoot from a comment made in another thread...but I think it should have its own thread.

I've noticed over the past few years (and especially at SES last week) that regardless of what people say about being well-versed in many different riding styles...everyone tends to gravitate toward a single riding style.

Yeah, yeah—I know we should all be able to change up our styles as conditions and slopes and crowds dictate...but in ideal conditions (empty slope, great conditions) people's true colors tend to emerge—that one style that you love above all others.

Though I'm sure we could debate style definitions all day, I've observed this a lot and think riding styles can be broken into 4 general types:

1. "The Bomber" - this rider carves shallow turns and gets downhill in a hurry. They're the speed freaks of the slopes. They have good control, but they're definitely all about speed.

2. "The Hula Dancer" - this rider does it slalom-style: lots of cross-unders, quick jinks back-and-forth—without getting super-low in turns. These riders look incredibly "gumby-like" in their flexibility as they jink frenetically down the slopes around imaginary slalom gates.

3. "The EC Hero" - this rider is all about dragging body parts (armpits, hands, elbows, legs, whatever). Typically seen carving small-radius, connected 190-degree turns, these riders get way down low on every turn and drag everything they can.

4. "The Sweeper" (formerly "The Hazard") - this rider spends more time riding across the slope than downhill. Usually seen doing incredibly wide carves from treeline to treeline, often looking uphill to avoid catastrophe. For these riders, it's all about the sustained length of a single carve (and a single run).

So which kind of rider are YOU?

Scott

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2, 3, and 4, depending how I'm feeling and how steep/wide the slope is. Though I can't do anything approaching an EC turn, I do love the rush of turning hard and feeling the slope brush my hands/knees/hips when things are all going perfectly.

Most of the people I rode with at SES did a bit of everything, again dependent on how steep the slope was.

I'll be astounded if everyone says "all styles." :) Because I spent a lot of time watching people at SES...and everyone definitely had a single distinct style most of the time.

It's possible that we might not be aware of our style and feel like we're doing lots of things? (Or it's possible that when people get into large groups of carvers, a kind of "homogenization factor" kicks in and everyone starts carving like everyone else?)

Scott

Sytle for me is dictated by what works best on a paticular terrain;

on Kaniksu at Schwietzer I can dance down the black bumps, hop onto the steep blue groom layin over carves from treeline to treeline then pop into the trees to surf some powder turns then do a few ECs & spins back to the lift line, all in the same run:biggthump

It's deffinately my favorite run throughout the nortwest. You'll probably get to the bottom faster than me but I will have traveled twice as far.

LOL...I think you guys are being WAY to politically correct. Go ahead—fess up! What's your preferred style? :)

Geez...everyone's so wishy-washy these days. "A little of this, a little of that." BORING. Somebody have some backbone for chrissake! :D

Scott

PS - There were many times at SES when it was "Attack of the Clones" coming down the slope, LOL. I wasn't seeing people switching styles on-the-fly...

I really don't think there is any such thing as perfect pitch and ideal conditions, different conditions/pitches are ideal for different styles and mixing it up is what makes it fun. Making the same turn, left and right, repetitively down the same consistent "perfect" trail may be fun for a wile, but will get boring fast. Just about everyone I see behaves differently on different trails and just about everyone I see mixes it up on the same trail. I think I do all of those things depending upon the circumstances, the trail pitch/width, my mood, the snow conditions, the number of people on the slopes (and how oblivious those people seem) etc ... Variety is the spice of life.

I woted EC, as your question was what one does on perfect pitch and hero conditions...

However, I tend to Hula a lot on flatter runs. I like the Hazard too, on nice wide blues.

I found the name Hazard a bit unfortunate - Sweeper would sound better...

Bombing I don't like much, except when chasing someone or when I'm on a board that's too stiff for my weight/skill or for the angle of the slope.

being a hazard(as per desc) is my carving goal. Although I am trying to get low in the turns. I dont so much feel the need to use the whole trail width, but I certainly aim for the 190 deg turns you mentioned. I love shooting uphill onto that downhill edge, even more fun if you try and spring off the tail.

need a new selection for me:

Encounter 1:

skier: Hey you are on hardboot alpine board; how come your elbow are not dragging snow like all the other people?

me: silence :(

Riding with my friend:

me: hey how does my carve look?

friend: look liked you are riding a regular snowboard

me: @#%#$^#$^

On the good note that Our beloved sports must be getting popular :)

I found the name Hazard a bit unfortunate - Sweeper would sound better...

Good call BlueB...I like "The Sweeper." Changed it up above. :biggthump

Okay—maybe this will help the wishy-washy respondents...

If you had to pick ONE of the 4 styles to do...on a PERFECT GROOMER....with NOBODY ELSE ON THE SLOPE...on a MODERATELY WIDE & STEEP BLUE...on your BEST day ever...which one would it be?

;)

Scott

I like to surf the mountain.. find nice features.. most of the time if I go coast to coast in a run no because I want to because I have no choices, everything is so narrow. It's not like the thunder bowl in highlands!

So I wouldn't know where to vote ! I guess it's a mix

6. "The LOOPER" - this rider has the 360 carve finally nailed after all these years of trying. as a result he enjoys looping everything on the mountain. Most favorite target is the entire High School ski racing team as they stand on the hill awaiting further instructions from their coach. BTW, the 360 Loop is not considered successful unless it is a clean carve -- and the rider just continues down the hill as if space/time itself was just warped for a few seconds.

7. "The HIGH MARKER" - this is a variation of the 360 carve. the idea is to bomb a black diamond slope, do a 180 degree bottom turn and shoot back up an entirely different slope. Before momentum is lost another carving 180 is executed taking the boarder back down the hill once again. Leaves strange carving tracks on the victimized slope that noone can explain. Especially sweet if combined with another 360 carve after the high mark has been laid down. Successive runs attempt to set even higher marks so this becomes an all day "get crazy" activity. Yes, its similiar to the infamous snowmobile maneuver ... thus the name; "high marking".

6 & 7 this year. :)

Be careful !! You got to really check b4 u go for it.

Sic...