Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

On 5/3/2022 at 10:06 AM, slopestar said:

All good guys. We will bring some dough and hope for the best! 

Teach has a couple for sale, he wont be around on sunday, maybe you could make an arrangement with him, he's staying in summit I think

mario

Yesterday - final day of the season, final run of the day. Arne joined us (on skis). Good to see him out again after a long recovery from rotator cuff surgery. 

Still a bit wintry up there. About 3" new in the parking lot. Maybe 5" - 8" in previous 24 hours. Snow conditions were good but a bit soft. Not cold, maybe 30 degrees in the lot on arrival. Visibility up top was OK to poor throughout the day (typical for us this season). Snow was getting beat up & tracked out which wore us out. We quit around noon. Some sections of great turns but not the best day. Spent most of the day on Ptarmigan and #6. Finding lesser tracked slopes took precedence over crowd avoidance.

We figure that we got in about 17 days with an average of about 15 runs per day. Our mid-week passes were about $360 so each run cost about $1.50. What a bargain!  

It was the end of a very good season for us despite meager snow cover. We had many "best days". We're getting caught between the rising slope of improved ability and the declining slope of age. It is fun to be able to get better at something at this age but eventually age will win.  

Arne - heal up completely and we hope to see more of you next season.  

44 minutes ago, JohnE said:

Yesterday - final day of the season, final run of the day. Arne joined us (on skis). Good to see him out again after a long recovery from rotator cuff surgery. 

Still a bit wintry up there. About 3" new in the parking lot. Maybe 5" - 8" in previous 24 hours. Snow conditions were good but a bit soft. Not cold, maybe 30 degrees in the lot on arrival. Visibility up top was OK to poor throughout the day (typical for us this season). Snow was getting beat up & tracked out which wore us out. We quit around noon. Some sections of great turns but not the best day. Spent most of the day on Ptarmigan and #6. Finding lesser tracked slopes took precedence over crowd avoidance.

We figure that we got in about 17 days with an average of about 15 runs per day. Our mid-week passes were about $360 so each run cost about $1.50. What a bargain!  

It was the end of a very good season for us despite meager snow cover. We had many "best days". We're getting caught between the rising slope of improved ability and the declining slope of age. It is fun to be able to get better at something at this age but eventually age will win.  

Arne - heal up completely and we hope to see more of you next season.  

Thanks John and Greg. Fun day!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, inkaholic said:

Was a good slush surfing session except when @big mario and @D.T. pushed me off lift 4.jk, stupid effing lifty! 🤬

ink

Well, at least I don't have to cover that now....

almost seemed like his first day bumping chairs, or he was just sick of his job.  Wasn't too happy about having to let you go at the time, kinda made me a little sick, I hope nothing else pops up other than that sore heel.

On a more cheerful note, our first and only day of slush surfing was a blast, as long as you didn't try to push too hard, which both you and I found out pretty quickly, thankfully without any real consequences

Really warm in the lot to start, with temps pushing 40 before 8am.  We started out as usual, heading to reload to start the day, but, alas, it was not running. After a quick reassess, we headed over to 4 and scrub for the first time of the season for some of us. It was already looser than a slurpee once we started down, so where one and done there, and headed back to 1 to start over. After hearing the annoying ARRRNGG of my old pass once again, and the lifty letting me go, we were off and running once again and on to reload. Snow was an interesting combo of boilerplate that rattled your teeth to dreamy surfy slush. We hit Bennets for a few, roulette for one choppy run, and then spent the remainder of the day just goofing around on the practice field making nice, easy fun turns until our legs gave out.

good size crew out for closing day, with 007, DT, Slopestar, and Katie, and finally SVR playing on softies. Dennis, Ice, Ink, and myself stayed hardboots. We all witnessed a rare occurrence, Mr Positively Awesome  blowing up and going down. There where a few of my trenches in the vicinity, that may or may not have played a part...

All in all a good season, starting on Halloween, and ending on mothers day.  It was fun to have MR. JFD join us for Thanksgiving,  Carvin Marvin showing up a few times, with Kneel making a couple of appearances, and the finally, the man responsible for making this madness happen, The Sheriff. We picked up another rider along the way, J48, aka FNG. Crowds were not as horrible as last year, and the groom was outstanding all winter.  A real powder day or 2 would have been nice, but you take what you can get.  Big news from yesterday, Lance and Katie are back in the lineup for next season!!

Thanks to all that I have had the pleasure of sharing chairs, runs, and beers with, we truly have something special going on at our lil' shit hole area, all you'se guys make it happen!

Until next fall,

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kneel said:

What's up with all the fluffy white climate change out there? I already have 10 rounds of teh golf in and will be firing up the grill at the shore for my freeloaders...er I mean family this weekend...🤔

Its been known to snow just about at any time up on high.  Glad to see your are ruing several perfectly good walks, I have been taking some downtime hoping my front hip calms down before I start wrecking it again on the DJ and the Mtb. Enjoy your trip to the shore, are you by chance planning on driving your

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w&t=1s

Edited by big mario

4 hours ago, big mario said:

Its been known to snow just about at any time up on high.  Glad to see your are ruing several perfectly good walks, I have been taking some downtime hoping my front hip calms down before I start wrecking it again on the DJ and the Mtb. Enjoy your trip to the shore, are you by chance planning on driving your

There would be no Bitchin' Camaro without AOD. 👍

• 2 months later...

Man, lots of memories there,  watched 3 of them, and remembered each of those days. It was really cool seeing those 2 Olympians as grommets.  Thanks for digging those up Andre, and thanks to Dustin for putting those together!

Mario

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2022 at 12:54 AM, b.free said:

Look what I found 😁

Amazing team, almost everyone is still riding! Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/loveyrider0/videos

Good times indeed!  Sure miss making weekly turns with the group.  Dropping in occasionally for a bit of vicarious riding and making sure everyone is keeping the drape apes off Mario's lawn ain't cuttin' it.  Boards are waiting impatiently in the vault and hopefully things will work out differently this season.  If this move to flatlandia has taught me anything, it's this.  Never bitch about the conditions or the commute - just ride, enjoy and make turns as often as you can, as long as you can.  It's that simple!

Hope to see you hooligans soon!

James and Lil H

• Like 5

Imagine walking in to a dentist's office in Houston, Tx and seeing this as a screen saver in the tech room. No one had a clue where the photo was taken... even after I dropped the "East Wall" clue. They really are uninformed here. Sure do miss AB! js

200567442_ABasinOverlook.jpg.2351af978686ad22fb68cdf964ae4c06.jpg

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Like 1