Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

I've seen videos of "carving" 360 with up to 270 carving and finishing on tail spin (I remember video of CMC??? who made even 720 this way).

I've seen video of carving 360 and riding forward on skis (link posted here??)

However, I haven't seen videos of pure 360 carve on snowboard (and riding forward) though I remember that some claimed doing it.

Thus I propose challenge: post video of carving 360, on snowboard, without tail spin. Who's up to this? :rolleyes:

Maybe challenge for SES? IIRC Aspen Ajax has some trails/trail intersections suitable for this with crossing intersections and slope sides similar to pipe.

P.S. If you are going to attempt this then don't forget security: most riders on slope are not ready for people riding against gravity!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm still working on it too. I can do it with the tail spin, but can't fully carve it. PaulK has a fun way of doing it, moving his weight back and back and carving on the very end of his tail when he completes the "circle".

At the past SES, Joerg from PureBoarding was almost getting a 360 riding switch! You can see him start and end a 360 carve in one of the PureBoarding movies -- forget which one..

tom.

I'm working on this. I seem to get much further tailside, I can come around pretty far, but still can't close it all the way around. I find I get *MUCH* closer if I am transitioning from a toeside into my buttonhole carve, rather than starting base-flat, I seem to be able to coil the board up tighter that way.

I've seen videos of "carving" 360 with up to 270 carving and finishing on tail spin (I remember video of CMC??? who made even 720 this way).

I've seen video of carving 360 and riding forward on skis (link posted here??)

However, I haven't seen videos of pure 360 carve on snowboard (and riding forward) though I remember that some claimed doing it.

Thus I propose challenge: post video of carving 360, on snowboard, without tail spin. Who's up to this? :rolleyes:

Maybe challenge for SES? IIRC Aspen Ajax has some trails/trail intersections suitable for this with crossing intersections and slope sides similar to pipe.

P.S. If you are going to attempt this then don't forget security: most riders on slope are not ready for people riding against gravity!

This thread is useless without pictures or links to carving videos. I have not seen a full one without cheating at the end.

At the end of last season I was *this* (makes little space between thumb and forefinger) close. It needs fair amount of speed and a lot of balls (getting it wrong early on in the carve means an eject), and the right hill (and a board that will turn on that bit of the hill). I believe I'll be able to nail it this season by cheating and coming in sideways-on to the slope, so the first part happens going uphill and gravity helps you round the rest. My attempts last year, I got *loads* closer toeside. Go figure.

Simon

I have done it...but 15 years and 30-40 pounds ago.
It is accualy very easy if you find right terrain, steep hill that flattens and then turn up. kind of natural, moderate "half pipe" if you try in the right place it is piece of cake, anybody can do this.
I'm still seeing a lot of talk about it "I did it a long time ago...", "my friend did it", "some other story of a Bigfoot sighting." ;)

Now I'm not trying to censor anyone by discouraging them from posting their empty claims... but this thread is asking for a VIDEO of it because they are already dozens of posts talking about it... just no video... and that's what I, Vahur, Carvedog, and others want. So please, if you don't have a video to back up your talk, please consider not posting until you do

:flamethro

Come on, Lonerider...BOL is all about claims! I mean...tons of people claim to be ripping carvers, 360s are easy, ripping the park on that 185 is easy...

maybe they're just riding too hard to film it!

I've never seen a fully carved 360, never tried one. Kinda curious now though. I kinda picture an "extreme" style carve for some reason...

I'm still seeing a lot of talk about it "I did it a long time ago...", "my friend did it", "some other story of a Bigfoot sighting." ;)

Now I'm not trying to censor anyone by discouraging them from posting their empty claims... but this thread is asking for a VIDEO of it because they are already dozens of posts talking about it... just no video... and that's what I, Vahur, Carvedog, and others want. So please, if you don't have a video to back up your talk, please consider not posting until you do

:flamethro

+1

With everyone and their ****ing donkey having a video camera in their ****ing iTunes, phone, gps, chapstick case whatever - why is their not video.

Tom if it is the part where the guy disappears carving the cameraman for a second - that it about a 250 or 270.

Post no video, tell no lies. :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

yeh i did one--fakie on a McDonalds tray that day at sun valley--yeh thats the ticket--- I think it's on the video we shot that day with Carvedog--which i've never seen--hint hint (jeff-Mellowjonny)

I have heard of identity theft. but this is ridiculous. If you are Mellowjonny what is the average airspeed of a one hucked billy bit tit monger?

It depends on the pitch and the amount of oxygen in the air.

With huge nasty fangs it does.

I even gave Kenny a copy of the vid. I can't get it to load on my puter to edit the 7 or 8 minutes of us hacking around down to a manageable utube size.

Besides I looked like carp that day. Oh every day.

You'll just have to come up and beat me up to get one.

:AR15firin:flamethro:eplus2:

Seen it done in Japan EC style - the guy had his inside arm extended above his head, hand on the snow. He did it on the flat at the bottom of the run, and wound up lying down on the snow. Not sure if that really counts.

The challenge, as I understand it, is that you can't keep the board decambered all the way around (can you?) and when the board is not decambered, you can't turn smaller than the scr without skidding. Is that about the size of it?

I screw around with this once awhile, but have never even gotten close, even though we have a pretty good place for it on MHM at the base of the Shooting Star chair. (Come down the ridge, then cross under the chair. When you're near the base of the chair - the lift will be on your left - hook to the right up that little pitch below Heather. This allows you to head back downhill on the last 180 degrees of the turn. Still can't do it though.)