Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

I've seen videos of "carving" 360 with up to 270 carving and finishing on tail spin (I remember video of CMC??? who made even 720 this way).

I've seen video of carving 360 and riding forward on skis (link posted here??)

However, I haven't seen videos of pure 360 carve on snowboard (and riding forward) though I remember that some claimed doing it.

Thus I propose challenge: post video of carving 360, on snowboard, without tail spin. Who's up to this? :rolleyes:

Maybe challenge for SES? IIRC Aspen Ajax has some trails/trail intersections suitable for this with crossing intersections and slope sides similar to pipe.

P.S. If you are going to attempt this then don't forget security: most riders on slope are not ready for people riding against gravity!

CARVEDOG.....

This is the first Post in the thread.

POST VIDEO......

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaining about no single loop videos is so passé…happens every year here for like 7 years...How about whining for video footage of a double loop?

Can anyone do a double? ( without passing gas or any other added propulsion )

I'll bet it would get some much needed press for alpine snowboarding...hell, even jibbers and madd river glenners would be impressed!

And don't just try and peddle 20 dvds....( for a single or a double ) put it on youtube.

Is this what you guys are talking about? Arc2Arc and I tried a few today. He made it a bunch of times but (of course) I didn't catch any of'em without a little hop. But he got me going around, then hit "stop" just before the finish LOL but you might call it a "gimmie" from there.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDMbe3Hl37w"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDMbe3Hl37w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Ok So if you want this shot.... I'll also try and toss some other stuff in there about stance and so forth... Don't expect super editing skills for the later part..

I'll explain how to do the loop too.

The most important thing about doing the loop.... is make the mark where people will see it and say.... "How did that happen?"

I did a fun one the other day. A loop up a hill- over a flat- and back down a hill under the Ajax lift... which looks fun because people don't notice you until you pop over the plateau and are already on your way back down to complete the loop.

I have a verbal agreement from a Plum TV videographer (local Aspen TV channel) to shoot this- so the production of the Loop should be pretty good.

Send Paypal to johngilmour@rocketmail.com and I won't click the accept payment button until its a done deal with him.

I'll try to do the loops in as many combos as possible- Hardboots + alpine toeside and heelside, softboots on my powder board rossignol Slipttail Judge 159 toeside and heelside, and perhaps...if I get a chance and the slopes are not too crowded I'll do the olympic rings (no promise on that- as I have tried to do it several times and sometimes it gets too crowded to finish the 4th and 5th rings before 1-3 are obliterated by crowds. (Also when it is crowded it is total hairball to charge uphill at 40 mph- though I know it makes it more fun....so far ski patrol has enjoyed watching it so much they have not yelled at me yet...they are the biggest fans of it.....lol)

The loops will be done fully on the same edge all the way around- no wheelie tail cheats, flat boarding, hand paddles, tail kickouts, hops, Estes Jet engines, etc...

Hopefully I can do them at both Aspen Ajax and Buttermilk.

________

Ford reflex specifications

I do them full 360's same edge all the way around. no cheating on tail...and no decreasing of sidecut radius. Clean rings.

Update! I just sent you a Jackson by Paypal. I happily await your video... hopefully it it arrive in time for the Vancouver Olympic Games.

Is this what you guys are talking about? Arc2Arc and I tried a few today. He made it a bunch of times but (of course) I didn't catch any of'em without a little hop. But he got me going around, then hit "stop" just before the finish LOL but you might call it a "gimmie" from there.

Hmmm... I still call that only a carved 270. Most people here can/have done that (as I have myself) You technically might be on edge after 270 degrees... but you are going so slow that if someone were to only see the second half of the clip, I doubt they would describe it as carving... also you decreased the radius of your arc...

Heh... and don't bother waiting until 8:44 of Tex's video... :p

I can ussually maintain an edge until I get just past 200 degrees, then I start to flatten out. By the time I'm at 270 degrees my edge is no longer engaged and I'm riding flat. I just ride out the rest. I haven't "pivotted" on the tail to finish. T
200 degrees... 270 degrees... some how just doesn't add up to 360 degree :smashfrea

Well So far 2 paypals..

:)

That's fun as I have raced for cash... and taught- but I never got paid to do a stunt.

I'm at Vail now- took a day off after charging around with a new pal Rob McKendry

http://www.ncdsa.com/65/McKendry-on-Speed.htm

We just straightlined on Vail's super highway style trails. Rob was maching around in softboots on a Never Summer with Burton Carbon Fiber C-14's...which- since you could come over a ridge and find yourself in chop...maybe wasn't such a bad idea. As I found myself hitting mild chop at speeds that made it hairball- after coming from groomed stuff over the ridge.

________

Medical Cannabis Seeds

Went out today in less than desirable conditions, didn't have anybody to work the camera, still on my old softboot setup, but I did video myself from a riders point of view carving about 2?? degrees and riding the rest of the loop out flat. I think it helps if you can focus on a spot or object (in this case a stationary skier, very plentiful) and visualize making a loop around it. If you pause the video as I'm passing the skier after going around him he does smile at the end, so he got a kick out of it too. Hopefully there will be better conditions next week.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29394381

Well it was an impromptu 360 at Vail Beaver Creek- so crowded here (MOB SCENE) and it's only Friday. Bombing down a cat track flanked on nearly all sides by skiers- so I looked at an intersection and busted out a uphill 360.....but as I rounded the last 90 degrees...much to my surprise I found that the other people who were following me (more closely than I thought) were shocked to see me heading right for them...lol

Looked for spots to "Arc the park" and leave them in the Terrain Parks kickers...no luck- not enough width

I'm getting pretty psyched to be back in Aspen.

________

GM FOODS

Guest DarkClone

Yes the carving 360 occurs quite frequently. Of course most of us mere mortals cheat at the end, but with the right real estate and rider, quite a sight when done right! Check out Dave T. and Jonathan H. at Heavenly! Yes June Mt. does rock!! With all respect to Aspen locals it is our West coast version of Buttermilk. DarkClone.......

End of season is near. Wet granular conditions. The local slope had the last races on the hill. After it was over they left the gates up and there was a perfectly placed gate in the flat where a carver could make a "loop" around the gate. On my second loop a ski patroler yelled at me, "What are you doing!?" Thought I was busted for riding up hill or something. I shouted, "Just trying to make a 'loop'!" He said, "looks like you got it". I said, "Not yet". Still only 270. But having a lot of practice. I will say that the 360 goal is a hell of goal. I have some rpov going around some objects on the slope. One of which was a fenced off area about 10 yards in diamiter.

Still on softies. Want to make the transition to hard.