Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

Don't know who this is, but he almost makes it at the very end.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKtdR486fhg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKtdR486fhg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like he kind of only did about 200. No offense to the alpine punk boys as they make one of the most beautiful boards I have ever seen. Saw it on another forum. There big split tail wood with the flipped over matching wood grain. Just gorgeous.

I am guessing 6 pages with no posted vid showing complete 360.

And how you mean is not fun wit name calling and flaming.

Is all fun. Not problems here. All good name calling and.

My own quote from page three. Almost there but I know JG is working on it.

:eplus2:

Another riders point of view. Again I don't stay on edge the entire 360 and I'm not laid out flat either, but I make it around the snowgun at the bottom of the hill.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZP_7O-1eM"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZP_7O-1eM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

I'd give him more than that. Look at the degree he starts his carve. I'm going to give him 225 because he goes at least 45 degrees past a 180. I think he could have made it past 360 if he wouldn't have bent his nose up.
I agree 225.... but there is no way he would have made it to 360. I know you are trying to learn to EC.... once you get better at it you will learn there is sort of a "stalling" speed in which you cannot pull up out of the carve, especially for EC turns which bleed a LOT of speed.

If you look closely at the end of the video he simply runs out of speed and there isn't enough centripedal force to hold him up and he falls into his turn.

Another riders point of view. Again I don't stay on edge the entire 360 and I'm not laid out flat either, but I make it around the snowgun at the bottom of the hill.
Not bad... practice so more and you still might win the $100 XC Prize that JG is going for.

Guest Marty

What like this ? :biggthump

mikef5000-3147-5.JPG

Kinda hard to see, but theres some goofy riders carvs and a regular riders carves. ( plural ) ... also one is hard booter the other is on a FS set-up . Guess which one is which ...

So I'll post a loop so everyone can see it.. and for those who send cash I'll make the little vid.

Yesterday I decided to make it loop day. I did over 50 loops 1/2 toeside and 1/2 heelside- even some airborne to heelside fully laid out- those were cool enough looking that the jibbers on the side of the halfpipe were cheering. (had to think it was funny that pipe kids would get such a kick out of carving).

So... I've never posted to You Tube...and the quality is poor, but at least it's up there.

(How do you post to youtube anyhow?)

I'll do a higher quality one via iWeb too.

http://web.mac.com/nobelprize/Carving/The_360_carved_loop.html

The Plum TV guy won't shoot for less than $250 for a day- a discount over his day rate. So unless other sign up..it's just my phone footage. From a Nokia N-95. Also a Swiss guy shot the best shot of a heelside on his N-95 but I am waiting for him to email it to me.

________

FREE SEX

I will expect a lot of people doing these now..

By the end of the day some dorky guys were trying to nail loops...even on rental crap with stickers.....lol...

they never had enough speed or made it all the way around but the wipeouts - some super fast edge catches...slam!

that was pretty funny to watch....

________

Plymouth pronto

I made all of them. no problem. When I shrunk the files down for the net I lost some resolution. I posted my worst ones that were complete. I have other footage that is far better..

You can take a closer look at the aerial shots of the rings.

I can do cleaner circles too and more than 360..

Want better footage.. send me a camera man.. lol..

I do a lot lot lot better ones than the ones I posted (much faster and with much cooler style) ... but then who would buy the video? There has to be some incentive to hire the camera man..

________

VOLCANO VAPORIZER

Well not having an overly stiff board helps to compress the sidecut so you can carry more speed.

Climbing on top of the edge helps in the middle of the turn... like those guys that climb on the outside of cars on two wheels on their sides.

You have to be careful not to get stuck on the tail... i was dragged around the end 50 feet of a circle that way..

More speed is better...always. I am not going fast at all in the posted shot.. I was worried I would even have enough speed to make it.. I had to put the skier there to film it and hike back up a bit.

I can nail the 360 carve and have enough speed to cleanly ride out of it if I give enough entry speed- and I ride out clean without slowing down a ton after the last 90 degrees..

I think I will shoot some in softboots today.

You can also run a tight sidecut and post a hand at the center of the carve and rotate around a single point.

If I can nail a 360 fakie carve by the end of the season that would be cooler

________

MARIJUANA VAPORIZERS

I made all of them. no problem.
Well, of the two I saw on video, one came to a stop just short of the full circle, and the other finished with a hop. So I'd say you had a small problem, although much better than I can do. What I'd like to see is the full circle with enough speed left to ride out of it.

John, I would be willing to help finance so cool footage of you, including the 360s. At $25 a crack it wouldn't take too many of us, and we would be able to show people what carving really is.

On another note, Gretchen and I LOVE the goggles we got from you at SES. Are there still more available at that price. She thinks she might want to try the womens instead. Email me.

Thanks Buddy, Scott

You also have to get super low at the initiation of the carve...

for heelside on softboots I have feel the snow brush on the underside of my pants to know I am low enough at the beginning of the carve.

If there is anyone who wants to follow with their video camera that would look pretty cool. There's money there for any good camera guy.. sitting unclaimed in my paypal.

the funniest thing was... I netted two circles and while riding up the lift I saw a jibber sitting at the finish of my circles for 20 minutes to look like he did it.... (he probably got some shouts from the lift)

so just to make sure credit was... where it was due... I bombed the hill and did a huge circle around him while he was sitting there. He left a minute later.

Maybe I should have a Carving clinic for making rings... I'd like to see people doing these at their home mountain... it would get a lot more people interested in carving..

I could show people how to do these in about 2 hours if they can already carve well and fast. Maybe that should have been the Free SES clinic...

________

BUY IOLITE VAPORIZER

JG:

If you come down here before April 6th I'll do the video for free. I have a 3CCD camcorder that should work fine.

I can shack you up for a night too if needed?

Mark J offered a free pass for you at Ski Santa Fe. There's plenty of carvalicious terrain there to accomplish this...

PM me if interested.

I have airline tickets that are due to expire to there so I have to go before April 1. I would like to shoot in HD...so I will see if i can borrow a camera.. I have all the editing suite for HD.

Speaking of which.. Is there anyone who enjoys editing footage?

I might be able to get a HD camcorder from work. I'll have to ask. I'll get back with you.

3CCD is actually really good in comparison to HD. Mine is a Panasonic PV-GS150. It would be the next best thing to a HD camcorder.

The weekend of the 29/30 would work for me. I'm out of town the weekend prior for Easter.

Keep in mind it will be getting pretty slushy by then down here....at least in the afternoons. Mornings not so much-maybe a bit icy due to thaw/refreeze scenario. I'm sure you're familiar with all of this...

Well, of the two I saw on video, one came to a stop just short of the full circle, and the other finished with a hop. So I'd say you had a small problem, although much better than I can do. What I'd like to see is the full circle with enough speed left to ride out of it.

You gotta go ALL the way around on one edge, then while still carving forward, switch edges and CONTINUE carving down the slope. NO STOPPING, HOPPING or otherwise JIBBING...it screws up the move.

post-182-141842253398_thumb.jpg