Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

[quote name=John Gilmour;190873

design a renewable energy source that doesn't affect ecosystems look ugly or add net heat to the biosphere....so the 360 carve is no big deal.

I've seen JG's 360 carve - I just want a dvd so I can study up on it all summer....

The trick I would really like to see happen is the renewable energy. :biggthump We didn't get me on film' date=' JG, so I'll put it in writing: please, PLEASE, put me out of a job!!! Fossil fuels are just stooopid. :flamethro

(oh, wait... I'll have to find another way to finance my snowboarding habit! :o Well, so be it!)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll never see one...It's impossible. If it wasn't, it would have been in some carving video from some country in the last 25+ years.

Me thinks all that jg did is find some freak downward spiral bowl terrain feature that makes it seem real at that particular filming angle.

So we've seen a 360 degree carve thanks to JG, and now we aren't happy so we're going to put up a new set of rules? Are you going to want to see a rodeo flip performed in the lift line next? Does the slope have to be over 45 degrees? Just because you can't do it on any given slope doesn't mean it isn't carving three hundred and sixty degrees. Soon you'll be out measuring saying it wasn't a perfect circle. That wasn't the challenge. JG did it... showing 2 different locations on the slope. Props to JG. He carved a 360 and rode out. ...not that I wouldn't like to see more!!!:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

Got a cameraman in town tonight... with HD camera top of the line unit..$15,000 camera...and he can shoot doccumentry stuff well.... though still have to see his action work.

Only issue is I hurt my back really badly a few days ago (shoveling snow + carrying luggage and snowboards to Peak Pitch and taking red eye flights both ways.

http://www.peakpitch.com/

at 44 I already need a sherpa)- Yesterday I did acupuncture- blood letting (who invented that- bizzare though as my blood was completely black) - some weirdo suction bowl crap which left me with huge back hickeys (it didn't work) + lit on fire with needles and moxa that made me look like a human birthday cake (didn't work either) -Today I had 1/2 hr massage chiropractic +automatic traction machine (think old torture stretching machine updated for 2008) + 90 min massage today..Hopefully I will wake up ok. $600 later...

We just got 5 inches tonight.. so I hope I can get some killer shots.

One issue.. the cameraman can't ski... he's from LA.

But then again.. the other guy couldn't ski either.

________

Vapir Oxygen

Guest Tool Can

OH My Goodness would you look at all this.Thankx all for the reading it has been intertaining.:biggthump

45-50+mph for entrance speeds??? Flat out Calling Bullshat on that with no apologies:nono:

However I do believe with out a doubt that some of you are capable of a stylish ring.Circle what ever.

Freak'en Femour Snaping G's is why we are all here.

Right?

Me! Ohh, Nooo. I am less of a has been. A bit more like a never was myself :D

Nice!!! This thread has keeped me up well past my bed time.

:sleep:

The carve you saw at the top of the link had me going about 20mph into it from about 200 vertical feet drop. Other ones have me tucking from the top straight lining. Making a much bigger circle- over twice the diameter of the one you saw.. if you did the math on the circle diameter of the big circles... you would see you would need a very high entry speed to finish them.

Even a freestyler in a decent tuck from the top can hit 40 on this hill. I'll need Rob Mckendry to come over to prove that one.

So now I need a GPS too... you guys are cracking me up.

________

Stream

OH My Goodness would you look at all this.Thankx all for the reading it has been intertaining.:biggthump

45-50+mph for entrance speeds??? Flat out Calling Bullshat on that with no apologies:nono:

However I do believe with out a doubt that some of you are capable of a stylish ring.Circle what ever.

Freak'en Femour Snaping G's is why we are all here.

Right?

Me! Ohh, Nooo. I am less of a has been. A bit more like a never was myself :D

Nice!!! This thread has keeped me up well past my bed time.

:sleep:

Your BS meter needs calibration.

I carried a handheld GPS for a number of riding days two seasons ago. I was surprised by the speeds I was registering. Normal cruising speeds were in the 75 km/h range. When I tucked it (on a blue run), I hit a max of 99. That's 60 mph. And it didn't even feel that hairy.

No doubt Gilmour can carry that kind of speed into a 360.

That being said, I still don't see a full 360 on the vids. Sorry JG.

The ones I saw weren't ridden out. Stopped heading uphill on a snowy knoll.

I agree - I haven't seen video of anybody riding out of a 360 yet. Every single person craps out at the same place, too - going perpendicular to the fall line after going uphill.

I'm not expressing doubt that it can be done or that some people can do them, I just haven't seen it yet. I have a plan to try it myself, next time I get on the slopes, but I think my carving board is too stiff for the job (can't decamber it at that place everybody craps out), so I think the best bet will actually be a toeside carve on softies in a nice soft, freeride board. I think my 172 Tanker should be pretty good for the job, if I can manage the boot-out issue.

I carried a handheld GPS for a number of riding days two seasons ago. I was surprised by the speeds I was registering. Normal cruising speeds were in the 75 km/h range. When I tucked it (on a blue run), I hit a max of 99. That's 60 mph. And it didn't even feel that hairy.

+1 on that. I thought they had steep enough runs at Jackson to get up to speed there. Hell my 197 doesn't even really want to turn much until I hit about 30. I hit 40-50 regularly. Baldy has numerous runs with no speed control. :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

Clocked at almost 70 on a downhill course. Board was starting to fell small at that speed though. :eek:

Glad you were intertained.

I've been clocked with a radar gun at 45mph standing upright on a freestyle board with soft boots so those speeds (50-60) I wouldn't even consider "pushing the edge".

THink about this one ok.

You have two snowboarders using the whole width of exhibition trail at Ragged (black and straight down the lift line of the six pack) making full looped back up the trail Christmas ribbon candy shaped turns.

you also have some of the better GS racers from Ski East on the trail.

The skiers are bombing the trail straight down.

But they can not catch Up to the two snowboarders.

I happens all the time and drives the ski racers bonkers.

So if you have competitive GS ski racers bombing how fast are they going?

At least 35 mph probably more

so if the snowboarders are covering two to three or more times the track distance with push pull ribbon candy turns what is thier average speed.

i say average peed as in a push pull turn it is like being accelerated by rocket assist at one point in the turn each time you come off of the tail loading. The PP turn get a constant pressure on the edge for the entire turn . In order to do that the speed varies widely through the turn.

So 40 mph and then three times the track distance what is the average speed of the two hardbooters doing PP turns?

Go a head and be shocked !!!!!!! It is real and has been GPS documented and doc-ed by some with radar as well.

the fall line peed of a PP turn is I say is insane.

Just watch the SWoard videos.

Grandfather wolf

But someone tried to convince me that the fastest a snowboard has ever been clocked is about 89 miles an hour. Well, according to the Guinness book of world records that's not so.

Snowboarding Records from Guinness Book of World Records

Highest Speed on a Snowboard

The highest recorded speed by a snowboarder is 201.907km/h (125.459mph) by Darren Powell (Australia) at Les Arcs, France on 2 May 1999.

99 was a long time ago. Anyone know if it still holds?

But someone tried to convince me that the fastest a snowboard has ever been clocked is about 89 miles an hour. Well, according to the Guinness book of world records that's not so.

Snowboarding Records from Guinness Book of World Records

Highest Speed on a Snowboard

The highest recorded speed by a snowboarder is 201.907km/h (125.459mph) by Darren Powell (Australia) at Les Arcs, France on 2 May 1999.

99 was a long time ago. Anyone know if it still holds?

Due to increased radiation from the growing ozone hole everyones sack has shrunk so this is probably still true. :eplus2:

blood letting (who invented that- bizzare though as my blood was completely black) - some weirdo suction bowl crap which left me with huge back hickeys (it didn't work)

"Cupping"

Google Search Link. The photos are worth a click! :eplus2:

John, hope you feel better soon. Time is needed

DON'T Try this at home kids. :smashfrea

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mKc2xqqBCA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mKc2xqqBCA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

No time for that.. while I was digging through paperwork- the phone rings.. so of course I ignore it...

So I check my missed calls..2 hours later.. and call it back..

I knew I should have checked it sooner.

It's Warren Miller's answering machine. They went home for the day. They are in Seattle - 206 418 6491

Now guys go ahead and call total BS on that one... I wouldn't believe it either.. matter of a fact.. I still don't believe myself.

I'll have to take a shot of my call log to prove it.

So I guess I might have to be on snow sooner than later.

Funny cupping video... mine looks like someone rested a bar stool on my back. 4 dots in a square- some joker at the Aspen Club thought it was a tribal tattoo.

I could have saved $80 and had a lot more fun if I just went out and played paintball while retreating totally drunk without armor.... I just wish that could be explanation while hot tubbing during spring break.

________

Dementia Forums

Whaaat!??!

Dammit, that's just Warren's sneaky trick to get all us alpiners back into the theaters for his movie, which after this year I promised myself I would never do again.

However, I will be more than happy to fork over the $20 to see a hard-boot 360.

Very cool - let us know how it goes. :-)

O

I've been clocked at 50 before, and I was going near that fast trying to carve circles on Wednesday. Probably 40 or so. Only made 270 degrees, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that 50mph is what it takes.

I agree with Tool Can on the speed thing.If people are trying to get their knees to handle the compression of a 50 mph dropin to a tight enough carve to complete a circle they are asking for serious injury.I have probably come as close as anyone here with people witnessing the attempts and have never been going over 30 mph, if that. I have as much fun going 50mph as the next guy but it certainly is not necessary to generate that kind of speed to complete a 360 carve.Balance,timing,and stance during each phase is much more critical than high speed.

I agree with Tool Can on the speed thing.If people are trying to get their knees to handle the compression of a 50 mph dropin to a tight enough carve to complete a circle they are asking for serious injury.I have probably come as close as anyone here with people witnessing the attempts and have never been going over 30 mph, if that. I have as much fun going 50mph as the next guy but it certainly is not necessary to generate that kind of speed to complete a 360 carve.Balance,timing,and stance during each phase is much more critical than high speed.

All true...

But it is so much more fun at high speed...40+ is where it's at.

________

P4/5 by pininfarina

Due to increased radiation from the growing ozone hole everyones sack has shrunk so this is probably still true. :eplus2:

Did we miss it?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtWmVTPEu4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtWmVTPEu4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The more I watch this thread, the more it amazes me that people think this can't be done. When I was at SES I found a spot on the front of Buttermilk (Don't remember the run or the lift, but it was the lift at the Bomber tent) that I thought was great for a 360. I did like five or six of them with various degrees of success. I came in across the fall line on my heel edge and transitioned to my toe edge at the top of the circle, so getting back to the top completed the 360. I made it at least three times. I wasn't on a deep carve at the end, but I did go 360 degrees on the board, and didn't stop. I continued down the hill. (Actually I guess that's a 540)

If I can do that at MY skill level, Hell, people like John and Billy and all the other REAL rippers could do this in their sleep with a 2 x 4 duct taped to there bedroom slippers, FAKEY!

I stole kjl's picture here but I want to bring it up, it's the picture on the right on a relatively "normal" run-not bowl shaped, carved all the way around, exiting with a little speed, not ending up on a flat board in the last 180 degrees. I don't think it's possible.

Carving like the picture on the left, sure, no problem. Doing it with a "V" shaped fall line, yes. Slowing way down and flattening the board at the top, yes, I've done that too.

But like the picture on the right without a crutch, well, I've got my 10$ in to see it.

post-3210-14184225492_thumb.jpg