Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryan, I've witnessed you carving a 360 lots of times. On your raceboards and on the SCX's. With Ron Fujii right behind you. Remember those days?

Oh, the memories!

Ed:biggthump

Yes, yes indeed I do old buddy ole pal!! Thanks for bringing back some good ones. I miss riding with Ron, what a great spirit!!

Hope you can make it to OES. Could be a pow session? "Safety Meeting" / "Red Two" / "Hey, how long is that board, a 180cm?"

It would definitely be better with you there!!

Bryan

(I didn't dare say "Been there done that for , well 10 years, with out photos or video") We are playing to a tough crowd on this thread.

Looks like the video of our good friends at Pureboarding should put this to rest. Jump ahead to 3:48 if you are in a hurry.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/iJM4xg_VYRs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/iJM4xg_VYRs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

I'm pretty sure Tom already won this thread with his post a billion pages ago.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzxPz4ovdzA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzxPz4ovdzA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've seen videos of "carving" 360 with up to 270 carving and finishing on tail spin (I remember video of CMC??? who made even 720 this way).

I've seen video of carving 360 and riding forward on skis (link posted here??)

However, I haven't seen videos of pure 360 carve on snowboard (and riding forward) though I remember that some claimed doing it.

Thus I propose challenge: post video of carving 360, on snowboard, without tail spin. Who's up to this? :rolleyes:

Maybe challenge for SES? IIRC Aspen Ajax has some trails/trail intersections suitable for this with crossing intersections and slope sides similar to pipe.

P.S. If you are going to attempt this then don't forget security: most riders on slope are not ready for people riding against gravity!

This is from Vahur's original post on this thread. I think I have to agree with Ken though Tom's 360 was carved and looked pretty good. The one Joerg did around the tree was decent too.

Everyone else was standing up and flat board on snow.

Still haven't seen JGs video or heard anything. Hopefully the reasons involve a road trip, hookers and blow but all we can do is speculate. :eplus2:

Not my fault if video evidence is not good enough for you :)

I went to the same spot that the video was taken at Buttermilk with Joerg and 3 of the pureboarding guys (and gal), including I think 2 who had never done 360 carves before, or maybe all 3 hadn't, and they all did it cleanly on the first try. I failed, but it seemed like it was not a big deal to them at all. I'll blame it on the long sidecut of my board :)

Yes, on the way back, perpendicular to the fall line at the topmost section of the circle (after 270 degrees), their boards are not leaned over a great deal (since the slope of the run lessens the angle, but you can tell for sure they are riding the sidecut around.

• 11 months later...
hmm the beat down sounds like a good Idea and cheaper. I sucked at getting this done.. I partied too much with the south african girls. And of course... if people want refunds that is fine by me.... but wait to see what people think first.

now I have the deadline before me...

SES.

I decided I won't ride until I get it done... before SES.

No sleep til brooklyn.

JG

JG - another year. I can't make SES, so won't be able to have you buy me $20 worth of Guiness. How about that refund? $20 for me. I know others must be wondering too.

And I still haven't seen a full carved laid out 360 on video from anyone. Vuja De.

PM me your paypal. Glad to do a refund... I finally got a cool camera guy... but the light has not been cooperating.. its been flat light and/or crappy snow in Aspen most days.. so every day we scheduled we had to cancel so far.

Best to just layout a few 360's at SES this year with people shooting and I'll do a web thing for free.

Hey John! Hoping to ride with you this week -- shoot me an email! I'll be glad to film you too -- this is fun and I'd like to see your version.

Another 360 from Buttermilk today... Oh what a great day. I'll post other photos in the "WCS photos" thread.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrWm2F2whs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrWm2F2whs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hey guys my first post from nj. i dont have vid since there arent a lot of hardbooters near me. im going out this week on my new setup after this weeks 30" plus tommorrow's 16".

but to the point my first setup was on a hot asym board( no you cant have it) and learning on that was ehh fun! but the way i was taught was that whenever we stopped at a meetup point or at the end of a run on a light traffic day, we would always try a 360. the transition from a fast hard carve to a low speed really helped you realize your faults in technique.

i am successful about 1/3 of the time, but different from the vid i stay low all the way through so you actually are carving the whole time and not riding flat and putting board on edge to technically be carving.

it requires constant change of body pressure and postion especially when you are almost stopped. many times i was close and just fell on my knees at a complete stop, and i have also completed a 360 and then stopped so i pop out to continue down hill.

you newbies should definately try to do it as much as possible to work on form. i like steep trails that merge with another at a flat point.

enough rambling, will post vid this week after riding if i can get my friend out to film.

still waiting for a 360 done full edge under 10m radius turn!!

Who's gonna shoot this?

Nils :)

I dont require it to be under 10m radius but it should be relevant to radius of board sidecut ;) and it should be carving.

I mean that if you look last 90 degrees of circle, rider should be carving there, not standing, sliding or doing tail spin, any of them is something i would call carving :rolleyes:

So challenge is still on :biggthump