Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read a bit earlier I am refunding people money- send me your paypal email to my full name at rocketmail.com

The weather in Aspen just is not cooperating this year (we ahve had fewer than 5 blue sky days- tons of flat light and fog and very little snow until yesterday) , last year I could not get a good camera man..and the year before that the camera people I hired from LA were totally incompetent.

If TPalka comes and we get a clear day we can shoot it - but until then I am just processing refunds..

Also TR (aspen local) is an excellent camera man... but we need a weather window that works.

Ok we'll try again. jerry@saddletreegallery.com for $20.

I did email you personally too about two weeks ago.

I will send to that one as well.

If TPalka comes and we get a clear day we can shoot it - but until then I am just processing refunds..

I hope to do so towards the end of the season. I'd love to see a tightly carved 360. All the tailspins that people posted are cool, and I liked the banked 270's as well, but none of those (IMHO) fit the bill of the fully carved 360...

We did a Pureboarding clinic during WCS that was all about different kinds of tail spins and a fully carved 360 -- don't have good video of it, but the poor video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsVFOtU8Deg&fmt=18

John, I'll give you a shout when I'm heading out there next...

Has anybody actually gotten a refund?
Yes!!

OK, I'm comfortable calling it gilmore bias...

I'm a little confused about the loaning of the Madd 180(never returned) to a redhead from Okemo at the Stratton US open in 96, whom you didn't know,(downhill thread), I thought you were the head of the ski school at Okemo then, doesn't add up

I'm a little confused about the loaning of the Madd 180(never returned) to a redhead from Okemo at the Stratton US open in 96, whom you didn't know,(downhill thread), I thought you were the head of the ski school at Okemo then, doesn't add up

ha ha... a lot of it doesn't. i thought there was some carving specific body armour coming too? were there any paypal orders taken for that? what about the new energy venture cap project that was going to take 7 years or something? bias or bs? ha! :eek:

I never taught at Okemo... IMHO that Mountain has one of the worst layouts (ie dangerous) in the North East. PSR taught there and always impressed me..They would give him all the overflow from all of the instructors...at times he taught up to 60+ people/kids at once successfully. That was the only thing that I found impressive about Okemo. I actually enjoyed taking time off the hill to watch him deal with all of that... remarkable individual...the kid was born to teach snowboarding.

I think the kids name was Sean who ran off with the 180.....it was my personal board.

ha ha... a lot of it doesn't. i thought there was some carving specific body armour coming too? were there any paypal orders taken for that? what about the new energy venture cap project that was going to take 7 years or something? bias or bs? ha! :eek:

Ok forget the body armor..TrailerTrash just decided that he should take over that project and contribute something worthwhile.

Yeah buddy it sure is.

Long wide and fast. Love it.

That is why the Burner 197 works so well here. It really likes the space.

Bordy is trying to talk me into a Silly Good in a 200cm. No budget for new boards right now but a guy can dream. If I don't get slammed from behind - next year I plan to make Aspen for SES.

Thanks again for the Paypal.

Thanks again for the Paypal.

hi CARVEDOG

glad you eventually got your money back. it's good that mr. GILMOUR is issuing refunds without prompting from FIN DOYLE. i felt really bad for mr. DOYLE about 10 years ago when he had to order mr. GILMOUR to stop trying to setup an escrow account on bomberonline for accepting prepaid orders for new MADD snowboards when mr. GILMORE (and partner(s)) was/were resurrecting MADD snowboards (the FIRST time.) i could tell from the underlying tone of mr. DOYLE's old post that he hated being put in the position of playing the heavy.

Ummm....it seems a little freaky to carve a full 360 on the same carve, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, as your carving edge wouldn't really change throughout the 360 and if you have enough speed, you would have already garnered enough momentum to keep propeling you through the turn.

What I am wondering is on that last 30 degrees of arc, would the angular momentum and centripetal force be working with you or against you...heck if I know. I guess try it and find. If you eat snow, no biggie...snow is good food! :)

hi CARVEDOG

glad you eventually got your money back. it's good that mr. GILMOUR is issuing refunds without prompting from FIN DOYLE. i felt really bad for mr. DOYLE about 10 years ago when he had to order mr. GILMOUR to stop trying to setup an escrow account on bomberonline for accepting prepaid orders for new MADD snowboards when mr. GILMORE (and partner(s)) was/were resurrecting MADD snowboards (the FIRST time.) i could tell from the underlying tone of mr. DOYLE's old post that he hated being put in the position of playing the heavy.

let's get this straight... I'm not out to rip everyone off for $20...no relation to Mr. Sham Wow.

Some of you guys (not all) are a real pain in the ass sometimes I wonder if its worth my effort to post here. At least get your facts straights..please... and try not to make me think you suck Tenorman, and spell my name correctly at least.

I also NEVER handled any money for Madd- not one dime...I also NEVER got a Dime from Madd..... I worked for nothing... in exchange for equity which was also worth nothing ...zero profit zilch nada- it freaking cost me money and years out of my life when I could have been making money instead of Freezing in the cold, dragging hundreds of pounds of demo crap and sleeping in my station wagon in cold parking lots of ski areas listening to the all night beeping of snowplows and groomers. because I could not afford a hotel room.... and this is the type of appreciation I get for working for nothing to make fun stuff for you guys????.

Could you be a little more unappreciative Tenorman?

Pre-payments for Madd That was Mike Banker. The pre-pay model was born out my resurrecting Turner Summer Ski - slalom skateboards, which used the web to generate pre-pay orders to provide start up capital- it worked. At the time Mike Banker was living in a Cambridge MA, boarding house with no bathroom in a room 7 feet by 10 feet crammed with snowboards and was one of the few non spanish speaking tenants that did not push a broom for a living... he drove a 15 year old 185,000 mile BMW M5 with slashed leather seats....nothing worked in that car..

Fin has been nothing but supportive of Madd Snowboards.

Sorry about not selling my car to fund a 360 video which probably you'd never be able to do anyhow.. I am refunding people- If I was rich I would have done it for free...... its $20 for Christ's sake and about 15 people tossed in for it... who raised you?

hi CARVEDOG...........

This situation is 100% resolved for me. I am still looking forward to meeting John someday and hopefully getting to carve together and drink a beer after throwing down some wicked fully carved 360s.

I know nothing of Madd snowboards and have never even seen one. Seems like a lot of people like them.

Are you in for drinking some beer with us Tenorman?

If I was judged by some of the crap that went down 20 and 25 years ago with me, none of you would even want to talk to me.

Thank you for your contributions Mr. Gilmour.

I've known this man for quite some time and lol..is far from a thief. The only thing Mr' Gilmour ever stole from me was my fresh air, due to the fact that he flatulated after eating a banana, and did so on purpose. Knowing that my life had been deprived of a few breaths of fresh air has not taken a toll on me yet.

You should feel privileged that an accomplished athlete such as Mr. Gilmour is dedicating his time to providing you with information, such information he has acquired throughout his professional career as a world class snowboard and skateboard athlete.

Or....

you can succumb to the trash of meaningless garbage that is often associated with forums and wallow in information that is generally useless. Thanks.

The key is managing your momentum.

The combination of swapping edges suddenly (So you have momentum in the direction of the circle working for you) and your arms will take you over the top of the bank .

As you start the turn, you will be heeled or toed over.. but try to "climb on top of your edge" like those stunt car guys climb on the side of the car on two wheels.That will stop you from falling into the circle as you loose speed.

20 bucks or no twenty bucks, its obvious to me that you have this maneuver nailed, otherwise you would not know these things.

if i can add my 2 cents;

#1. use the "packet of energy" you started the 360 with wisely. and digging a trench squanders that energy. come in red hot and carve tight but always "just off" trench digging time. remember, the reason for this has all to do with snow conditions and absolutely nothing to do with the aggression of any given carve attack.

#2. prepare for massive deacceleration. your speed will halve, then halve again, then halve again before you reach 180 degrees. this will cause you to fall to the inside and flop down if you don't do something. resist the urge to tighten the carve. stay smooth and efficient by "climbing on top of your edge", as John points out. alternative technique: if you are coming in on a red hot carve (on good hardpack) you will be able to extend your inside arm straight up (EC carve style). this is really advantageous because as your speed collapses, about 1/3 of the way through the circle, you can withdraw the arm and move it down and towards the outside. this really helps center of gravity and enables you to stay balanced.

the carving 360 maneuver may seem senseless to some but it really keeps me from getting bored on small hills. you can also use it so circle objects. I can get 2 towers on this 400 foot hill before I am back on the chairlift. and, of course, it gets more smiles and cheers than any backflip. Besides I'm 60 years old in December so I guess people think I'm just lost or something anyway :)

Sic..

failed but pretty

the real deal

abusing the privilege

shamwhat??? Hey Snowman......wait for it:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

The wait for it bandit strikes again! I have heard that Aspen will no longer allow any Ohio residents to enter city limits after this years "wait for it" attacks. It is a very unique method of winning friends and influencing people. Seems that most Aspenites neither understood or appreciated this misunderstood attempt at goodwill from Ohio.:eplus2:

Think Snow!