Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

http://www.vimeo.com/5701396 <----------- 0:50

<------ 2:00

those two vids were pretty good..the rest of the standing 360 videos i would throw those right in the garbage no offense but anyone can do a standing one upright...carving the whole 360 is the trick...i can do 270 so far can't quite finish it i run out of steam cause i'm in Ontario but i thin the right technique and you can do it anywhere...keep on practising :biggthump

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 meter sidecut radius ??

are we really talking about a 65 foot diameter circle here? that sounds awfully generous to me. of course, entrance speed is a big factor but no one ever seems to chat about that in here. so I submit, at average hardboot carving speeds (that I have observed over the years) that would be one HUGE circle !

or is the math wrong ?

Sic..

Does Vlad = solex?

vlad is a 360-doing rider in vimeo video

Riding a circle is not the same as carving a 360 FWIW.

the starting ramp in Baikalsk where frozzen rode 360 in youtube video above is a cool place to practice - entry & exit angles matter, but seems like frozzen's try is one which is filmed. many of carvers succeeds in 360 at this place) during russian BrownianMotion carve-gathering

and yes, I'm yet to see complete 360 carve. seems like impossible to me - two weekends ago I have empty & perfectly groomed slopes and try some ten times to complete 360 on pogo blitz with HUGE entry speed. almost all ten was finished 360 - but none of them was carves in a pure sense.

I have discovered a spot at Silver Mountain where my Diablo 210 with it's 16 meter radius will

carve a circle with an 8 meter radius. I measured this on Sunday by using my board as a measuring stick.:) Obviously, this means nothing without video so I will do my best to put my video where my mouth is asap.

I'm with those that think that the so called 360 carves with 30 meter radiuses,while good balance drills, are as exciting as watching snow melt.

I'm yet to see complete 360 carve. seems like impossible to me - two weekends ago I have empty & perfectly groomed slopes and try some ten times to complete 360 on pogo blitz with HUGE entry speed. almost all ten was finished 360 - but none of them was carves in a pure sense.

The problem with insane entry speeds (which I absolute live for ! ) is that the board is at such a high angle of attack that the nose of the board begins to act like a snowplow. There is so much drag that no matter what you do there is never enough energy to complete a clean circle. (( think walking halfway to the wall, you never get there. same with high entry speeds )). So, yes, you want to come in somewhat HOT :angryfire but "just off" the point that the nose begins to act like a snowplow, especially if the conditions are not crispy. Now when you hit that equilibrium point (about 1/3 of the way around) you just "ride the norm" for the rest of the loop. Its still a hot loop for sure as the g's are significant and unending. So its best to do when you are fresh.

this nose "snow plow" thing is such a problem that I don't understand why a board needs a nose at all. I would just as soon heat my board up in an oven, then lay it on a concrete floor and flatten the nose to almost nothing. Now that would be a good 360 board. But then I suspect I have just not spent enough cash on my equipment.

Sic..

correction ( you were right) > i meant 10 meter diameter not radius.. i also find huge circles at low speed not very spicy..

All attempts that are doing tail spins or unburrying the edge to shorten the radius are not valid :)

What i'm eager to see is a snapped turn, not a lazy carve.

N.

The problem with insane entry speeds (which I absolute live for ! ) is that the board is at such a high angle of attack that the nose of the board begins to act like a snowplow. There is so much drag that no matter what you do there is never enough energy to complete a clean circle.

Anyone know if the new-school "decambered nose" race boards solve this problem?

The design of my board is not what I would describe as decambered,just all mountain with a longer nose and tail than most free carving boards.That said, is much easier to enter into and exit a circle with it than my two second hand Coilers,one a 195 race and the other a 182 AM, or the 171 G Force I got last season.The tail shape and flex of my Diablo 210 seem to contribute to the relative 'ease' of circle carving as much as the nose design.

As for what constitutes cheating;I do not consider hand dragging which is a big part of freecarving style,to be cheating if done upon entry,but I do consider it cheating to be leaning or 'paddling' on a hand or arm when exiting the carve.However,I think the holy grail would be no hand drag and a tight radius.It should be as cool to watch as it is to do.

this nose "snow plow" thing is such a problem that I don't understand why a board needs a nose at all

nose removed from equation - cause of you already in mid-stance in control stage of carve on entry, and ride from 180degs further almost on the tail. if nose is in - you seriously loose much needed speed due to board decambering working to de-decamber. seems like that - you DEFINITELY cannot ride 360 with nose loaded in other than in first 90degs

I'm Sorry for the mess, guys

first vid - Vlad Popov

second - Roman Morozov aka "Frozzen"

im neither of them

just posted a vids that i think could be a good example of the subj

secret of full circle is simple - maximum sitback + maximum agnulation

No mess. I just wanted to put names with faces or riders if I could. Some crazy carving going on there and I liked the "Pump." Cool stuff.

being shot, shot down, etc etc. I can lay claim to having done over 360 degree lay down carve with very little hand in the snow. Witnessed by SVR, at Baker at the bottom of chair 8. Curse him for not having his helmet cam on! On the 200 Tanker rocker prototype. Lots of entry speed, perfect snow. Not sure how I was able to put it all together, so a repeat may be a while away. I will now go put on my flame proof underwear...

here's what the carving "3" is all about: bombing straight at a "target" so they get a look of apprehension on their face, then diving it in and carving a perfect loop around them so they look surprised when you come around for the second time. the only problem with this spot is that if I bury the nose on the entry carve the lift line will go down like it got hit by a load of canister shot. :) oops

softboot carve

157.5 Burton Balance with 7.8 sidecut

old Ride strap bindings

stance: 21/9

guess its time to break out my plates now.

Sic...

I'm not sure if anyone posted a comment on this, (i didn't want to look through all 11 pages of comments on this thread) but I saw a beautiful 360 carve on during the olympic coverage made by none other than ...the AFLAC duck! Who knew this bird had so much talent? It definitely lightened things up from watching Jacobelis not finishing the final round.

Didn't go trough all the pages...

So can someone please tell me where to put the weight in the turn?

Nose,centered or back? :confused:

The key is managing your momentum.

Like riding a half pipe.

easiest to do them on a bank first..

Cut into the bank at an angle as if you went past it.then switch edges and use the edge pressure to start you up the bank as you throw your arms and weight forward up the bank (Like riding a halfpipe)

The combination of swapping edges suddenly (So you have momentum in the direction of the circle working for you) and your arms will take you over the top of the bank .

Imagine you have a giant clock face laying on the bank which is at a 30 degree angle to the direction of the hill. Ideally across from it ...opposing..

12 O'clock is on top, 6 O'clock on bottom.

If you start at anywhere from 9 O'clock to 6 O'clock, you likely won't make it.

Start your entry between 4 and 5 O'clock do the loop and try to finish at 6 O'clock.

As you start the turn, you will be heeled or toed over.. but try to "climb on top of your edge" like those stunt car guys climb on the side of the car on two wheels.That will stop you from falling into the circle as you loose speed. As you get better at this you won't have to do it.

MY goal with all this 360 stuff was to get 5 guys on similar sidecuts and layout the olympic rings all at once... (since the rings are the way they are.... you should not hit each other.) Using the colors of the olympic rings.. Colored Kerosene or liquid ether would be released from a pressurized sprayer radio triggered as we did it.

A skier would come by and touch the olympic torch to the 5 interlocking circles signaling the start of the games.

If you read a bit earlier I am refunding people money- send me your paypal email to my full name at rocketmail.com

The weather in Aspen just is not cooperating this year (we ahve had fewer than 5 blue sky days- tons of flat light and fog and very little snow until yesterday) , last year I could not get a good camera man..and the year before that the camera people I hired from LA were totally incompetent.

If TPalka comes and we get a clear day we can shoot it - but until then I am just processing refunds..

Also TR (aspen local) is an excellent camera man... but we need a weather window that works.