Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eplus2: PaulK decided to make some park gappers jaws drop at ECES yesterday at 4:10 pm (last run of the day) at the bottom of the hill in the base area and did a nice slow fully laid back on the tail - 360.

He was promptly "pig-piled" by a few other hardbooters... much to the amusement of a few of us onlookers.

:lol:

Sic t 2: your reply post after Jacks was definatley exactly ON-POINT and very accurate with the physics of what happens in the 360.

Its fun to pull them when people are not expecting it, and they are shocked when the lines "X" in the snow and you are looking at them with a "hi, how ya dooin?" kinda smirk on your face :)

Yesterday.. I did not think I could pull it off... But the snow was fast...I got a 360 on my Kessler PGS 185cm deck after trying many many times... issues are... too much edge and the sidecut gets tight and you dump too much speed.. So you have to go huge in speed but tread the line of too little edge and slide out or too much edge and burn too much off at the beginning to finish..

You need to go about 40mph to pull it off..I can not do the Kessler on flat... only on a bank..

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
If you read a bit earlier I am refunding people money- send me your paypal email to my full name at rocketmail.com

The weather in Aspen just is not cooperating this year (we ahve had fewer than 5 blue sky days- tons of flat light and fog and very little snow until yesterday) , last year I could not get a good camera man..and the year before that the camera people I hired from LA were totally incompetent.

If TPalka comes and we get a clear day we can shoot it - but until then I am just processing refunds..

Also TR (aspen local) is an excellent camera man... but we need a weather window that works.

Huh... I haven't been on BOL in a few years (moved a few times, got married,
, etc...). I was wondering about this... hopefully I can get a refund as well.

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 7VF56484R0635470T)

Sent to:

John Haines (The recipient of this payment is Verified)

Email: ...

Amount sent:

-$20.00 USD

Fee amount:

$0.00 USD

Net amount:

-$20.00 USD

Date:

Feb 28, 2008

Time:

09:45:57 PST

Completed

Subject:

John Haines

Note:

Here you go!

Funding Type:

PayPal Balance

Funding Source:

$20.00 USD - PayPal Account

ha ha... a lot of it doesn't. i thought there was some carving specific body armour coming too? were there any paypal orders taken for that? what about the new energy venture cap project that was going to take 7 years or something? bias or bs? ha! :eek:
Ok forget the body armor..TrailerTrash just decided that he should take over that project and contribute something worthwhile.

Oh, I also revived a long dead thread on d3o body armor as well. Here is the gear I found online (I did a search and no one seems to be talking about it in the last couple of years).

I used this for BX/Terrain Park heavy-duty use

http://www.allsportprotection.com/Flex_Force_X_D3O_p/ds1630.htm

and I picked up this on sale for $70 (lucky deal) for mellow days or warm spring/summer days

http://www.backcountry.com/demon-snow-hyper-vest-d3o-body-armor-mens

Good one.

That's like saying you learned french by knowing what "bonjour" means.

When you're setting them down on snow, I'll send you $20 for the vid.

I like the whole premise of this thread, especially when it turned to 720's.

It's like someone came on saying they do quad corks and folks actually said, "Really!? Where's my chequebook?!"

Sorry John... Once the 720 claim got dropped, I was sooo curious to see how you'd get out of it. It really saved the conversation, as the whole carving 360 thing was pretty Pachamama.

Good one.

That's like saying you learned french by knowing what "bonjour" means.

When you're setting them down on snow, I'll send you $20 for the vid.

:D Lol, if I eve got it on video, I would show it to everyone for free. Here's
(me filming my friend).

To be fair... Shaun White's

ended up pretty much the same as mine... just by the fourth attempt, he's super close to landing them... whereas I have a lot of trouble maintaining my spatial awareness after the first flip/rotation (I only got around 30 attempts total on the air bag). I was a lot closer on the plain jane double backflips as I could land down on my board a lot of the time... but that isn't quite really good enough for me to literally risk my neck on a regular jump.

We had a guy in my group working on double front flips and on the last day he tried one off a 40-50 ft jump in the Mainline park at Mammoth... he got his board down, but had too much momentum left over and faceplanted... but aside from some minor scrapes was otherwise unhurt and I personally would describe any double cork rotation over a 40+ jump that doesn't wreck you as a success ;)

• 1 year later...

Few days ago, on crappy snow. Prior WCRM 173 metaltop.

The last few degrees were near flat base, but still clean line in the snow...

Thanks to Scooby for filming the 2nd one and to Kaz for regullating the traffic!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rsU-aSks5eU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Few days ago, on crappy snow. Prior WCRM 173 metaltop.

The last few degrees were near flat base, but still clean line in the snow...

Thanks to Scooby for filming the 2nd one and to Kaz for regullating the traffic!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rsU-aSks5eU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Nice attempt! I'd say you ran out of gas somewhere around 270 degrees and at that point you aren't on your edge. I usually run out of gas around the same point, I've managed to keep her on edge a few times but I need a big steep into a flat to make it happen.

Nice attempt! I'd say you ran out of gas somewhere around 270 degrees and at that point you aren't on your edge. I usually run out of gas around the same point, I've managed to keep her on edge a few times but I need a big steep into a flat to make it happen.

Nope, edge engagement all the way. Very low angle last 30 degrees or so, though. 3 people witnessed it...

2nd pic is already well past 270.

post-1678-141842388079_thumb.jpg

You owe us your 270 video now, at least ;)

___

Very nice Don Pablo!

post-1678-141842388072_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842388077_thumb.jpg

I have a place where I can pull this off sometimes going backside on my soft set up...of course the track is deeper and thinner in places from entry and exit...so the Depth and Width do not stay the same all the way around :o the only thing that says it happened, is that the Carve Line crosses itself BEFORE there is any flat mark that shows up...:biggthump