Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My post is funny or maxs video link is funny????

the tail spin video... laughed my butt off and the sales guy across the hall came to see what was up. I got side tracked with him and didn't know a couple posts had slipped in before my reply :ices_ange

So today I found I could do loop uphill and exit downhill with some decent speed....so of course...why not try it again! Today I was on a stiff Madd 170 which can be harder to loop- but if you nail it jut right you can carry more speed out...total Sierra cement chalk today... not ideal but grippy and very fast riding flat- just not as fast for carving as softer packed powder when trying to loop.

So The first one I hit..and the second.(ready to film) . I'm coming across a trail setting up for the loop- and see a group of skiers standing there by the race course- I'm going about 45-50 when all of a sudden a guy starts to move forward without looking while saying goodbye to his friends (might have been a last goodbye). So I jumped as high as I could (flew over his skis and knees) and kicked my board out away from him....my back flew by his face..about 3 inches to spare..(no contact). Nailed the 360 carve anyway..with exit speed- and the guy holding my Nokia N-95 camera had his thumb over the lens.....

I gotta find a real camera guy. The plum guy is too $$$.

Bordy- so you and I + we have to find 3 others to do the Olympic rings all at the same time..

________

Chrysler Imperial Parade Phaeton Specifications

The 360 carves I posted are the lamest ones I shot. (why use up good footage?...they are only a teaser- just proof of concept)

I can go into the first shot with twice as much speed and blow out a loop twice as large and ride it out.

Also the other shot too on the wall- that one can be done better as well.

The snow is still good for filming.. but I still don't have enough to hire a camera guy.

If I don't get enough to hire a good camera guy for filming I'm paypaling the cash back to everyone.

Gee- you would think Warren Miller would be beating down the door... lol..

his Warren Miller banter might go like this...

"Ever Ski - and have a snowboarder in front of you

(Miller in sotto voice)psttt... I hate 'em-

(Miller regular voice) and not know which way he is going to turn?..well look at John Gilmour- he's got skiers totally confused. He single handedly has Aspen thinking about becoming a "skier only mountain" -Again!

BTW who's got the right of way- the skier going downhill or the crazy snowboarder going uphill?

....Let's Hear it for Nissan!"

blah blah blah de da blah blah blah.... credits-

Actually I'll see if Zeal will do a deal with giving me goggles to sell at discount so I can put more cash towards the camera man.. that way you can get a pair of the only Polarized & Photochromatic goggles made for cheaper than you can buy them and get the video for free.

________

Colorado Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

The snow is still good for filming.. but I still don't have enough to hire a camera guy.

If I don't get enough to hire a good camera guy for filming I'm paypaling the cash back to everyone.

JG, how much are you short? I could order a few extra copies - good Christmas presents maybe, to help explain my new sport to bewildered friends & relatives. And perfect for covert missions to local snowboard shops - pop them in the dvd player while no one is looking...and on alternate days sneak in caspercarver's Swoard video.... Subvert the masses! :eplus2:

p.s. Seriously - I really want to see this video project happen! :biggthump

...Why doesn't someone just post one and get this over with?

John... Cameramen and a for sale video? Just get a friend to shoot you and put it up. Why bother with all that PayPal s#!t? More trouble that it's worth, if you ask me.

Bordy... If you've got one in the bag, roll it out. It doesn't even have to be switch on a Squall... Any old 360 will do... Just not a traverse-to-uphill turn. Or to stop. Or to tail spin.

Why is the original posters request so hard? There's already enough people claiming them on here that we should have already seen one, like, 4 pages ago.

"Da ultimate challenge" is proving to be getting the evidence, not the move itself.

...Just get a friend to shoot you and put it up...

John -- we'll be in Aspen the first week of April -- I like Rob's suggestion -- I'd be happy to video you, but it'd be with my simple camera and not HD, etc. VGA at 30fps. But as you never got to show me your 360's in person I'd be happy to follow you and film! No charge :)

tom.

"Ever Ski - and have a snowboarder in front of you

(Miller in sotto voice)psttt... I hate 'em-

(Miller regular voice) and not know which way he is going to turn?..well look at John Gilmour- he's got skiers totally confused. He single handedly has Aspen thinking about becoming a "skier only mountain" -Again!

BTW who's got the right of way- the skier going downhill or the crazy snowboarder going uphill?

....Let's Hear it for Nissan!"

We had a big discussion about that at Ragged Erlier thiws year when I was teaching a clinic and carved dwon a drop on teh 173 VAS and turned it uphill into a merging trail headwall

The ski clinic jsut happend to be coming down. Scattered all but two of the 20 or so of them into yard sales. LOL

The head trainer was ok and when they yelled at me he just said I had the right of way untill I was above them on the mountain and that if they coulodn't avoid me without falling then they better work on thier visual skill or thier skiing skills or both.

latter In the pub it came up and the ski patrol head was there. He agreeed that The person farthest down "below" has the right of way but added I should have a spotter. So I guess we have to split up and take different routes to get to above on two trails for spotting when you get a perfect figure eight trail merge . Now, I used to be able to do them at Mt Sunapee at a trail merge in the back bowl. THat was when younger and teaching full time on the PJ 163 slalom board. 360////????? I want to see a video of a full figure eight!!!!!! You up for it Gilmore?

Grandfahter wolf:lol:

P.S. had to quit teaching cause of degenerative spondylosis. Still hoping for a good day or two to get back on the snow for at least three o r four hours at Sunapee since I have a couple of free passes withing there.

I'm not disgruntled yet but I paid my 10 bucks and just wanna see an honest 360, haven't seen one yet, I posted a video of what most people are calling a carved 360 but it ain't! Doesn't need to be HD, edited, or anything, just a carved turn for the whole 360 degrees and riding out down the hill.

Here's an example of *not* what I'm talking about (again!)

The 360 carves I posted are the lamest ones I shot. (why use up good footage?...they are only a teaser- just proof of concept)

Jeez, so now if Birdy or somebody else posts a "real" loop, ( which seems about as real as Bigfoot or Nessie ) then they are picking Gilmore's pocket?

We'll never see one...It's impossible. If it wasn't, it would have been in some carving video from some country in the last 25+ years.

Me thinks all that jg did is find some freak downward spiral bowl terrain feature that makes it seem real at that particular filming angle.

The Holy Grail Carved Loop is a full-on carved loop on a "normal" slope that looks like a hot wheels car on a loop da loop placed on its side.

BTW, I would not pay a dime to see one, but I would send the youtube link and show it to anyone who had any interest in hardbooting and give alpine some exposure.

Jeez, so now if Birdy or somebody else posts a "real" loop, ( which seems about as real as Bigfoot or Nessie ) then they are picking Gilmore's pocket?

* Dano...fellow M*******...I'm shocked ;) ..lol

We'll never see one...It's impossible. If it wasn't, it would have been in some carving video from some country in the last 25+ years.

** people who know me see me do impossible things all the time.. beat Chris Chaput (who was using a drop thru and Cherry Bombs) in a slalom GS downhill on bad pavement on a 28 inch board with 62 mm wheels while wearing wallabees, revive slalom skateboarding after it was dead for 20 years , design the Avalon wheel on a Newton message pad in 30 seconds, design a renewable energy source that doesn't affect ecosystems look ugly or add net heat to the biosphere....so the 360 carve is no big deal.

Me thinks all that jg did is find some freak downward spiral bowl terrain feature that makes it seem real at that particular filming angle.

***Dano you are funny , do you think the melting of the polar ice caps is a myth too? lol...

The Holy Grail Carved Loop is a full-on carved loop on a "normal" slope that looks like a hot wheels car on a loop da loop placed on its side.

BTW, I would not pay a dime to see one, but I would send the youtube link and show it to anyone who had any interest in hardbooting and give alpine some exposure.

I do use terrain features..and lots of them- in fact I can hit them all over Buttermilk (like 8 spots) in lots of places on Aspen Ajax within view of the lift.. The layback carve has no bank.

So to put an end to the naysayers.. Next season I'm going to do a loop world tour.

Tpaulka... I'll use the cash to rent a HD camera and have you film it... you do a good job with filming.

I just like creating the controversy over whether it can be done or not... lol.. I know Bordy is the only one who is getting the real laugh out of it.. he does them too....

________

LIST OF CONCEPT VEHICLES

I'll use the cash to rent a HD camera and have you film it... you do a good job with filming.

Sounds good -- you know how to reach me -- and I'll shoot you an email when we get out there!

Does it really make sense to rent the HD camera though? Might as well save the money, no one has to pay anything, I'll gladly video you with my camera and post the results on youtube -- it's all gratis.

tom.

I did a couple of 270 carves yesterday. It's driving me nuts. After the first 180 I've usually lost a lot of speed and for 180-270 it's hard to keep the board on edge. It seems like the more speed I carry in, the more speed I lose in the first 90 degrees, and I end up with a 270 every time.

I have to try decambering the board I guess. Plain old carving just isn't going to do it for me.

Just film it already... If you have time left over from saving the world and slalom skating from oblivion.

Some people here have never seen one. Hook them up. Some people here do them or have seen them. They, like me, probably think this thread is beat.

My curiosity as to what will be said (rather than done) next however, just keeps me coming back!