Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem...we'll make sure to film that. I need a nice grippy fast surface so we better film soon. I can exit with about 5-10 mph of speed.

do I have to wear blue pants for it to count? Anything else you want on film?

I like 3CCD's I had one myself and it really is excellent quality... but in order to be with as current as possible a format I would use HD. 720p ok 1080i ok (but perhaps not as good with motion) 1080p 60fps the ultimate.

Besides HD is nice for the interview portion and explaining to people how to do these..

You know how Penn and teller are hated by Magicians? Really good carvers might be annoyed if less experienced carvers hit loops...but oh well..

________

TAUNUS V4 ENGINE

Seems like John's video is best 360 attempt done without tail spin. :biggthump Key words are speed, suitable slope and not too tight carve.

Something to try myself next season, this season conditions were not favourable for attempting this: too warm or too much powder...

Thank to all participants in this thread. Next thread about attempting 360 next season :eplus2:

Speaking of which.. Is there anyone who enjoys editing footage?

I've got Adobe Premiere. I'm still figuring out the advanced stuff, but I've got the audio side nailed and can transition, do slow motion, speed things up, even zoom in on stock footage if it wasn't close enough when original shot. Here's a rough sample of what I'm currently working on. Not done yet and the resolution is very poor, basically taking footage from an old Fuji Finepix point and shoot. The camera didn't zoom while in video mode and no image stabilizer so a bit shaky. There's a lot of rough edges as I'm still waiting to add footage, but I'd love to put together something done with a HD camcorder. I was doing a lot of experimenting in this so it may seem a bit overdone at times.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=29970218

I found two good 360 spots on Aspen Ajax...one needs tons of speed cutting across the nastar bottom onto that wide pitch for a goofy toeside...and directly across from that under the express lift is a perfect goofy heelside spot...with no people- also up across from the first big rise on the express lift is another good area without too many people...but it isn't groomed much.

I also think I can bust one under the lift across from where the sharpshooter guy is with the race course at silver bells- that is a hard attack angle though and though people don't ski that corner- it has some traffic coming across it.

Also under the gant lift I've been nailing them heelside but can't finish with any speed at all because it is too slanted.

I will do these in the Halfpipe before the season is out..and maybe in softboots.

be careful doing these as people do not expect you to spin around......

________

New mexico marijuana dispensary

Seems like John's video is best 360 attempt done without tail spin. :biggthump Key words are speed, suitable slope and not too tight carve.

Something to try myself next season, this season conditions were not favourable for attempting this: too warm or too much powder...

Thank to all participants in this thread. Next thread about attempting 360 next season :eplus2:

Well to help you succeed.... it doesn't matter too much about the carve tightness. If you go tighter..there are just more g's to deal with..though you can do them with less speed. You really need speed for the huge radius carves...

Stable body position is key and I sometimes do a boot grab to tighten the radius.

________

CLASSACTION LAWSUIT

Well, of the two I saw on video, one came to a stop just short of the full circle, and the other finished with a hop. So I'd say you had a small problem, although much better than I can do. What I'd like to see is the full circle with enough speed left to ride out of it.
I agree, you have to ride it out... which shouldn't be a problem if you are going to go for a 540 in the future... I already sent my money... hoping other people do too.

Trent -One of my favorite students..... looking good! But you have to edge the whole way... to make sure it leaves the groove so from above it is a total loop.

Two lessons later and ....insane..... I told you you'd pass me.

Trent is the only person I tried to teach 360's to- he almost got it the first few tries.

Put your knee on your chest for the first 90 degrees. You carry great speed around the first 180. Then you should be able to edge the rest of the way around... but you'll need more speed on your 185...like 20mph more. Hit a boot grab too after the first 90 degrees to keep the arc tight and low.

Trent- think like a figure skater if you stand up you slow down the spin...and then you have to go higher an higher as you slow down..... you won't make it that way. So stay tight and low and stack it all over the inner edge. You'll have it down by next week.

CLEEEANNNNN!

________

Flint east

Maybe I should have a Carving clinic for making rings... I'd like to see people doing these at their home mountain... it would get a lot more people interested in carving..

I could show people how to do these in about 2 hours if they can already carve well and fast. Maybe that should have been the Free SES clinic...

Count me in! :D

props to JG for documenting this whole thing...which is becoming apparently becoming an obsession for some...

FYI, all need for better quality is a dig. camera...I have an old Canon PowerShot SD300 - that would be fine...just make sure you have the video on the highest framerate/sec....you don't need a full out camcorder rig (though that would be "ideal.")

props to JG for documenting this whole thing...which is becoming apparently becoming an obsession for some...

***actually I was just tired of seeing the page count on this thread going up to 5 pages so i figured I would put an end to it... Lol. first page or two I didn't really care... BUT- on the brighter side... It did open up a whole new fun thing for me.. I typically shoot a couple loops a day but when I did 50 in a single day I really started to mess around and stylize them...and suddenly carving became hyper fun again... So I thank everyone in this thread that pushed me to have so much fun trying every possible way to throw in something fun yet still bust out a 360. i can say that I was able to do enough variants ...that it really isn't as hard as people make it out to be.. but most are doing the opposite of what they need to do to do a 360... it is counter initiative.. just like the first time you rode a snowboard and tried to surf from the back... in fact it is the exact opposite of how people are trying to do them. Wait to see my layback air to heelside 360- I would have never thought they could be done that way. I'm sure I'm gonna bust a rib doing these at some point when I mess up.

FYI, all need for better quality is a dig. camera...I have an old Canon PowerShot SD300 - that would be fine...just make sure you have the video on the highest framerate/sec....you don't need a full out camcorder rig (though that would be "ideal.")

****I've Shot tons with that still Canon Powershot point and shoot camera and it is remarkable- though at times a little grainy in low light. My Nokia N-95 does a better job with video though.. but you can't tell unless I put it uncompressed on the web...big files. The uncompressed stuff looks amazing. I will put it up after a while but if I did it at first the downloads would have crawled.

-----

Bordy- that fakie 360 is on plates with high angles right? No soft boot duck... Where shall I paypal the $20 for camera guy for you- not kidding at all....

________

MARIJUANA SATIVA

I had to look around a bit to find the embed code

this is some solid riding,too

smooth fluid style

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVS3DA6yXA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVS3DA6yXA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

is Bob L bob Lawliss ?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBJYTe6hCw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBJYTe6hCw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

john - thanks and i'll practice some more. maybe i'll be able to post a better one yet this year (if it doesn't rain this week :()

willywhit - i knew you'd be able to help out. please pm me on how to do that. and bob l is bobble here on bomber, not lawliss.

-trent

Heya, John. Props to you for your circle carve.

I think what some people (and by "some people" maybe I mean me, and maybe also Neil who wants a circle with "enough speed to ride out of it") want to be able to do is something different than what you are trying to do. You very clearly can do the carve on the left of the image below (the fall line is DOWN in the image): You're making a circular track, and you end going perpendicular to the fall line. What I wish I was able to do is the loop depicted in the right side of the image below - I don't really care about making a clean circle - I just want to go around something in a carve and come out going fast enough that I don't need to hop with my arms flapping like an idiot, which is usually what happens when I try.

Can you do carves like the one on the right?

I think my problem (in addition to simple lack of technique) is that my board is too stiff and the sidecut is too long. By the time I am going directly uphill or across the fall-line again, I have so little speed that I no longer have the pressure to bend the board enough that it will continue to decamber for a tight enough carve. Maybe an Axis or a Silberpfeil or even a good freeride board would be better suited for this?

post-20-141842253445_thumb.jpg

The carve on the left is the way you need to approach a 540 carve. You must "net" the first 360 at the top of the hill.

The one on the right are the ones I do..(though some are pefect circles). but I haven't posted one with m riding out at speed yet. still waiting for this swiss guy to email me my clips of that.

Yes I can keep going.. I just didn't post those clips. If you look closely at the still pictures (they lost some detail in compression but if you look carefully you'll see what you are talking about... you can see which carves are the ones you are describing as on the left. Trent has seen me ride them out- so has David B. and Two Ravens- and apparently 1/2 of Aspen by now.

A long sidecut holds more speed... but makes a larger circle.. unless the long sidecut board is soft enough to bend into a tighter arc..(which is actually faster than a board bent less with more sidecut since the board with more sidecut will flare more at the nose and tail meaning more pressure on the nose and tail if the board is angled way up). If you are trying to do this with soft boots flat binding angles and a stiff board would make it very difficult to pull off ...if at all.

Having a banked slope somewhere opposing the fall line makes it easier to do if the snow conditions are not fast enough....besides... your carve lasts longer on the side and is more visible, which is why when i lay out the olympic rings at Ajax on the small bank under the lift... they can stay nearly perfect almost all day.

________

Model N

****-----

Bordy- that fakie 360 is on plates with high angles right? No soft boot duck... Where shall I paypal the $20 for camera guy for you- not kidding at all....

Of course, I ride backward better then lots of folks ride foward. Just cuz i rode soft boot duck that one day doesn't mean I always do....... Its just buttermilk is so flat and boring...Two years ago I only rode buttermilk switch all day. I even carved a loop on that multi pitch under the chair switch on a checker pig G6..... not a full 360 since the in and out are at different points but I am sure i could do it. I have no problem nailing them on a PGS board toe or heelside with lots of speed out foward. I am sure its even easier on a soft free ride stick. I will try some today on a schapel. Heck i think I am still the only guy to do the limbo contest switch on both edges..