Note to New Members ×

Da ultimate challenge: 360 carve on snowboard

Vahur

Bryan: Who cares? I've watched it for years! All one has to do is to go to June or Mammoth and you can see first hand! My wife still talks about the first time we saw it at the bottom of Stump Alley at Mammoth. No effort, just a complete turn, stand up and to the lift line.

Same , same, I agree!!

Well except I can add, I have been doing it since some of these youngins had stinky pants :lol:

Bryan out. :biggthump

PS, JUNE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take the bait and I will say it here because I can, Bryan If you're so worried about flame wars don't provoke people, bring up old stuff, edit/delete your posts destroying the continuity of the threads or post something extremely inflamitory then wait for the target to respond and edit away your snide comments while trying to appear that you're taking the high road.

I'm a prick sometimes but when it comes to this board I rarely alter my posts and I do play fair. I'd have allot less problems with your posts about taking the high road and being a adult but you take shots at a few of us every time the chance like yesterday when you used me being a bitchy ******* to take a shot at D-sub. the fact is that you love flame wars and contribute to them.

respond here or I'm sure you'll PM me too whatever, I don't care and there is not much to discus I am just pointing out hippocracy

No. Curt is one of the strongest carvers I've ever seen, and he has total command over his tool. He can put an edge in anywhere. However he is way too bent over. A lot of wasted energy there. This also diminishes your ability to balance. He's mastered carving this way, but it's not ideal.

yeah, Curt is sick, he's so good even with his weird style.

Of all the guys I've had the chance to watch ride he and Gilmour are probably the two that amaze me the most other a couple racers that I've seen really throw down.

where has Ol' JG been?

anyway, back to the original topic. yes, I've seen it done, no, I don't have video.

I've come close and cheated at the end but not come all the way so I won't make the claim.

wait! breaking news! Billy Bordy comes to the rescue with a loop on snow! here's the vid <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbg4DFeAps&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbg4DFeAps&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm pretty sure I ride with that hunched over style. When I try to ride more upright, I can't seem to really hook into a turn. It seems that the board is riding me instead of me telling the board where to go. This leads to big turns and excessive speed.

When I bend forward, I feel like I can initiate a turn and control the radius of my turns a lot easier. It is, however, quite tiring.

270 degrees with small tail spin ;)

Yea no way could that guy finish the whole thing? And no way on a snowboard, or if going up hill instead of flat. Or at the bottom of the Park City training hill at the canyons where almost every run he and Garret and Emilo would do them and just giggle about them but theres no video Unless Phil shot it. Good thing who ever posted that ski video ( I think it was Dave) only called it a loop :biggthump

;)

Hunched over is a great way to power up the board with stiff gear so you need your lower back to take all the shock. Now with newer gear there are much better styles. But non is right or wrong just different. Some are faster or more dynamic. But all styles work if the board carves.

I am guessing 6 pages with no posted vid showing complete 360.

And how you mean is not fun wit name calling and flaming.

Is all fun. Not problems here. All good name calling and.

:argue::angryfire:argue::angryfire:barf:

Is what snowboard carver who can't carve today must do, since sitting at computer screen is bull**** compare to making carve turn.

Must flame and name since can't carv. low.

• 2 months later...

I do them everyday here in Aspen. Both toeside and heelside in hardboots on my Madd 170 and in softboots toe side and HEELSIDE! on my Rossignol Judge '05 powderboard.

I even laid out the 5 Olympic rings the other day all perfectly overlapping on Aspen's Ajax Mountain in the Am.

2 feet of fresh tonight... it will take a few days for me to get some video footage up. Rings are not possible in pow.

The key???

Ever watch those videos of guys putting their car on 2 wheels? That is the key.

I do them full 360's same edge all the way around. no cheating on tail...and no decreasing of sidecut radius. Clean rings.

Trent and a few others saw me do them at SES.

I'll post up some video when I get it and explain how it is done. Gotta admit... it is one of my favorite things to do.

Sets off the chair every time.

Two favorite places.. under the buttermilk lift (from the chair looking it looks insane) like a marble going round a toilet bowl at speed.

The other at Ajax from the express lift right under it going up a hill onto a plateau under the lift and then back over and down again (Prairie dog style- popping up out of no where). and another on a face trail... but you need tons of speed for these.

________

Burn notice forums

I've been able to make a loop on the slope in a softboot set up on a 171 Sims. Snow condition is key, and where you make the carve. My most successful 360's have been coming from a steep to a fairly flat section of slope, it helps if there's a "bowl" shape to the slope. Carry a lot of speed into the carve and don't consentrate on the 360 so much as carrying your speed. I try to think about getting up hill. My "carve" ussualy starts after driving straight down hill, then increases slowly as I get more across the fall line. Terrain helps a lot. I can ussually maintain an edge until I get just past 200 degrees, then I start to flatten out. By the time I'm at 270 degrees my edge is no longer engaged and I'm riding flat. I just ride out the rest. I haven't "pivotted" on the tail to finish. There's a cross over trail at my local slope that is perfect for this. Where the fork meets it's so natural to actually come down from one trail and ride right up joining trail. I've travelled up hill for nearly 50 yard before (not trying to make a loop, just seeing how far I could go in the opposite direction. Freaks a lot of people out coming up hill at about 20 mph.) There's actually another trail I've been trying to get to going up that cross over, but so far I've only been able to get just over half way there.

Jerry: Come over to PC on the 7th and make some turns with me. Who the hell rides on the week ends anyway???

With all the holiday season craziness I missed this. Don't know any other Jerry's on this thread so this must be me. Wasn't being rude you know. Just trying to slash and burn all the powder and cord I could here in Eedahoo.

Made it to snowbasin a week or so ago, would love to have somebody show me around PC sometime. I was there for one of the Olympics qualifiers and only got to look around late in the day and didn't find the goods at all.

Who the hell does ride on the weekends anyway? Besides those with regular jobs who can't enforce powder day or ripping groom clauses. :biggthump

I'll post up some video when I get it and explain how it is done. Gotta admit... it is one of my favorite things to do.

Love it. If you want some help to pay for a video guy I would be happy to throw in $10 or $20 bucks and get a disc. Carve the rings, throw in a couple of random favorite tips and some stance bias info. You'll need at least an hour or two of videography and at least that much for editing burning etc. I mean if you are going to set it up for video, you might as well get good video instead of someone's cell phone.

If 15 or 20 bombers do the same you'll break even. If a few more - then gravy.

Set up a Paypal ( if not already ) and I'm in for $20. I seriously want to see the rings laid out. See how it goes and if it's not worth it we can figure out refund or alternate value or case of Guiness at SES next year.

We used to pull this off pretty regularly. We called it a Watikki like the show waterski stunt of skiing all the way around the boat. We found it helps if you can carve up a slight double fall line allowing you to start down the auxilliary fall line at the beginning of the last third of the turn. if you cna follow that you aught to be able to pull it off. Short turn radi tools are a must.

I do them everyday here in Aspen. Both toeside and heelside in hardboots on my Madd 170.

I even laid out the 5 Olympic rings the other day all perfectly overlapping on Aspen's Ajax Mountain in the Am.

John, let's get together soon... like to see and learn from you!

Snow should be great by the end of the week. Let me know where you ride please.

See you at Sky bar? Cheers!

We found it helps if you can carve up a slight double fall line allowing you to start down the auxilliary fall line at the beginning of the last third of the turn. if you cna follow that you aught to be able to pull it off. Short turn radi tools are a must.

Kinda like in the Badger Bowl, right? But it sounds like some guys are talking about a "single fall line" run, doesn't it?

I've almost done it once on my heelside comming down a hill and turning back up into an adjacent hill, but I just couldn't hold on with enough momentum to stand the board back up, so I washed out at just about the 340 mark to slide into the other 20 degrees. :angryfire

Still fun though :D

EDIT: I agree with photodad, Conditions and nice dense groom is important.

Ok I'll do it... I'll find a decent videographer.

"lord of the rings"

or

"Board of the Rings"

You guys pick a title...

I don't care what you call it just post it to quite the nay sayers. Ever year its the same post.

"Post a video or shut up" Or even better 30 people post and say they have done one (or several) or seen it done. Of course they same few skepticts claim it can't be done. One year I posted most of the PC team would do them on our training hill at the Canyons Resort. Some of us have been doing them for a decade plus. I got e-mails calling me a lier.

Internet riding at its finest.

I don't care what you call it just post it to quite the nay sayers. Ever year its the same post.

"Post a video or shut up" Or even better 30 people post and say they have done one (or several) or seen it done. Of course they same few skepticts claim it can't be done. One year I posted most of the PC team would do them on our training hill at the Canyons Resort. Some of us have been doing them for a decade plus. I got e-mails calling me a lier.

Internet riding at its finest.

This isn't a put up or shut up challenge. Sounds like JG has it down and I would love to see it, as I never have. I have no doubt about your doing it either Borrdy. I think it would be worth it to put some effort into this and I am too old and too fat to be the subject even if I was proficient. I have only managed about a 300-320 but I am also riding 188, 197, 185 etc.. Sounds like a shorter turning board works better. "Board of the Rings" sounds so cool. Maybe it could even be broadcast and elevate hardbooting consciousness to the mainstream. :biggthump

Let me know if you set up a Paypal or something, I will definitely pitch in to get a disc.

THX