Note to New Members ×

Choice of snow pants for hardbooters

FelixD

The best I have found so far are the Flylow Chemical pants.  They are on the slightly shorter side of things (compared to SB specific pants) and they have been really durable so far. Earlier pants that I have used are Analog, Neff and Burton AK.  The Analog (well built) and Neff (utter crap) pants were all too long in the legs for my size waist (and I am pretty tall) so the cuffs get all sliced up.  The Burton AK (Cyclic) were decent pants but like most other pants don't hold up well to carving.  The back pockets were a problem where after a couple of heel-side wipe-outs and the storm flap tore open.  Now that back pocket zipper just auto opens all the time.  The material also doesn't like dragging in the snow much so the knees started looking pretty ragged after a few years.  

I got the Flylow pants at the start of this season and I'm really happy with them, with one caveat: they are the most breezy pants that I have had.  While waterproofness is good, they have a ton of vents so a hard wind will find its way inside.  This is fine for me since I normally run pretty hot when riding and I guess you can just layer up if you need to.  The knees and cuffs have heavy cordura-like reinforcements which seem to scuff up just a little when the snow gets in the way of the knees, but it is holding up really well.  The length is absolutely perfect.  Long enough that you don't look like a gaper, short enough that you don't walk on your cuffs.  They are a bit pricey if you get the current year's models, but I've been able to buy 1-2 year old items direct from Fly Low's website at big discounts.

I've also got a Flylow jacket that I've been using for the past 6 years and despite being made of relatively thin material, it has been holding up really well to lots of abuse.

Bib-style without sew-on pockets on the outside of the thighs or the butts. Ride them a few times, then have a tailor add Keprotec where they show wear. Thankfully my old pants that I bought over twenty years ago came with a lot of Keprotec which I kept when they disintegrated. The stuff still holds up amazingly.

Edited by Aracan

Pants designed for skiing are more durable in the pant cuff area and sometimes the knee.
I always look for pants with the cuff area reinforced.
They tend to be slightly shorter than snowboard pants so they don't drop too low on the boot.

For myself, I went with the Tobe mono-suit and never looked back.

2 hours ago, dredman said:

+1 on the Tobe mono suit.  Super high quality, fit, engineering, and fabrics.  @svr and @johnasmo would agree.

5’11 175 medium size 

Don’t onesies reek when you take them off, especially after chile con carne especiale in the bar???  At least separate jackets/pants work as an over-pressure valve.

• LOL 3

5 minutes ago, st_lupo said:

Don’t onesies reek when you take them off, especially after chile con carne especiale in the bar???

https://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Bloating-Relief-Tablets-Packaging/dp/B00ANL4WMI

They are not designed to work well for après ski; great for everything else.
Some of the newer jacket and pant combinations from other companies (Volcom, etc.) zip together. If only they were constructed as strongly as the Tobe mono-suit.

• LOL 1

3 minutes ago, VSR-Alex said:

Some of the newer jacket and pant combinations from other companies (Volcom, etc.) zip together.

I have a matching set of Volcom jacket and pants. The zipper works as advertised. It has mostly the same pros and cons as a regular powder skirt, except it’s better at blocking snow. I’m not sure it’s worth tying yourself to one brand over though.

I have a pair of MEC 3-layer goretex shell pants, designed for backcountry use - they're the ones I am wearing in my avatar.  No idea if they make that particular model any more, I've had them for a long time.  At the time they were about 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of similar constructed top brand pants.  Unlike Corey I don't have concerns with tearing them on the snow, I simply never get that low, or so seldom it's not an issue.

They fit overtop of the boots.  It's easy enough to pull them up if I need to adjust the top two buckles.  I run stepins and just keep the handle under the pants, it's easy to grab the handle through the pants.

They are a little narrow for my soft boots though, it's a pretty snug fit over the top of those.

41 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I have a pair of MEC 3-layer goretex shell pants, designed for backcountry use - they're the ones I am wearing in my avatar.  No idea if they make that particular model any more, I've had them for a long time.  At the time they were about 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of similar constructed top brand pants. 

They don't. I had some of those too, and they were bombproof. They stopped fitting over my legs when I took up weightlifting 😞

Patagonia, as they are the one of the very few that have a lifetime waranty/fix program.

Rip? They will likely either repair it, or replace it; no cost to you.

Mine have held up for about 100 days this season. There are wear areas from when I was practicing getting low and just cheated on really hard abrasive snow earlier this season (October/November...). I plan to send them in for a repair after this season ends.

Almost nothing should be dragging, although it's so easy to just flop it over and have body parts hit and go around the turn, repeat, etc.... Body parts hitting is slow.

15 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I have a pair of MEC 3-layer goretex shell pants, designed for backcountry use - they're the ones I am wearing in my avatar.  No idea if they make that particular model any more, I've had them for a long time.  At the time they were about 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of similar constructed top brand pants.  Unlike Corey I don't have concerns with tearing them on the snow, I simply never get that low, or so seldom it's not an issue.

They fit overtop of the boots.  It's easy enough to pull them up if I need to adjust the top two buckles.  I run stepins and just keep the handle under the pants, it's easy to grab the handle through the pants.

They are a little narrow for my soft boots though, it's a pretty snug fit over the top of those.

14 hours ago, Allee said:

They don't. I had some of those too, and they were bombproof. They stopped fitting over my legs when I took up weightlifting 😞

My current go to pants are some old MEC pants as well... prob 25 y.o. 3 ply goretex.   My wife mocks me for them, given the old skool color combo.   But I don't mind  😝

There is some delamination visible in a couple spots and I've had repairs done on a couple of cuts a few years ago by an excellent gear repair shop we have here on the Quebec side.  

They only just fit over the boot cuffs but they still work well.

20220224_073459_copy_1512x2016.jpg.4d43c3ff34aa71fac79d69a0193a1be6.jpg

20220224_073518_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20220224_073611_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Edited by slabber
  • Like 1