Note to New Members ×

Ideal number of riding partners

JohnE

Ideal number of riding partners  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your ideal number of riding partners?

• Zero - I Ride Alone
    • One - me and my best buddy
    • Two or three - a tight group of closely matched riders
    • Four plus - the more the merrier

Not more than three, I would say....  Seems like with more you end up spending more time waiting for someone to use the can, discussing what trail to ride, etc.. than actual riding....  

A pack of 3 total seems to be ideal as you just tear it up and enjoy the place....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

Anytime you ride with other Carvers, it is a Hazard, unless you go and then stop off to the side...plus riding with someone in front or behind destroys the freedom to just let it happen...

I ride with the same buddy all the time. We are very familiar with how each other rides. In 15 years we have only collided once and it was pretty uneventful. I feel safer with him ahead of me or behind me because it cuts the direction that someone can can collide with either one of us by about half. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnE said:

I ride with the same buddy all the time. We are very familiar with how each other rides. In 15 years we have only collided once and it was pretty uneventful. I feel safer with him ahead of me or behind me because it cuts the direction that someone can can collide with either one of us by about half. 

I remember taking runs with you John, in 35 years I have taken a lot of runs with others, Cliff, Joey, Mike, actually hundreds of People, the question was, Ideal Number, for me personally that is Alone...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

I remember taking runs with you John, in 35 years I have taken a lot of runs with others, Cliff, Joey, Mike, actually hundreds of People, the question was, Ideal Number, for me personally that is Alone...

I noticed that, Ive tried to make a few turns with you in the past, but...

It took a few, but it finally got through my thick skull..., and i started riding with you, in spirit, from the lift.  a few years ago I gained enough of Cliffs trust that he let me ride with him and his Jersey Buddy(Curly??) I was honored that they let me join them, though I'm sure that Cliff got a little weary of the lift banter from the Jersey expats

We ride with a solid crew at Lovey, we have a base of 4 to 6, with occasional mini sessions of 10 or more breaking out multiple times a season.  I love it when that happens, the energy just builds, and feeds, and it is pure joy to watch all of the different styles just rippin' up the hill.

I've calmed down a bit in my advancing maturity, and just relish every turn with my fellow alpine geek brothers and sisters, be it 1, or 20 other riders

mario

• Like 6

When I was younger I had one or two constant riding buddies and that was ideal then.  Nothing makes you progress as fast as when you ride with and challenge other people. 

Now, however, I think I prefer riding alone.  Finding an empty run is guaranteed to get me out of my head for a bit.  There is just movement and snow and everything else just melts away for a few precious minutes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, big mario said:

I noticed that, Ive tried to make a few turns with you in the past, but...

It took a few, but it finally got through my thick skull..., and i started riding with you, in spirit, from the lift.  a few years ago I gained enough of Cliffs trust that he let me ride with him and his Jersey Buddy(Curly??) I was honored that they let me join them, though I'm sure that Cliff got a little weary of the lift banter from the Jersey expats

We ride with a solid crew at Lovey, we have a base of 4 to 6, with occasional mini sessions of 10 or more breaking out multiple times a season.  I love it when that happens, the energy just builds, and feeds, and it is pure joy to watch all of the different styles just rippin' up the hill.

I've calmed down a bit in my advancing maturity, and just relish every turn with my fellow alpine geek brothers and sisters, be it 1, or 20 other riders

mario

Yes, I remember as well, this Ripping HB guy is behind Me !!! I am not an Isolationist so to speak, I rode and taught Earl 3 Strappin many years ago, He is gone now, JB is a close 3 Strappin Riding Friend, we ride the same run many times but stay almost literally out of sight....When I am alone though, like the first track, no one else around for an hour or so, well that is Special to me... I know that Dave and the MCC is and will be Special again this year, to be surrounded only by Carving Brothers is a Wonderful experience that anyone who Loves this Art would appreciate, plus that 3 days was a Powderific Experience as well... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, st_lupo said:

When I was younger I had one or two constant riding buddies and that was ideal then.  Nothing makes you progress as fast as when you ride with and challenge other people. 

Now, however, I think I prefer riding alone.  Finding an empty run is guaranteed to get me out of my head for a bit.  There is just movement and snow and everything else just melts away for a few precious minutes.

so much this.

chase that flow state alone is what keep me coming back.  Sharing that flow state/positive energy feedback loop with your buddy is on whole another level of bliss (Mario put it much better than i can).

shout out to @ktv for always being there and pushing/guiding me.  (there are so many other to thanks that help me along the way but ktv and I have took so many carving trip together consistently over the years).  We have been pushing each other forward since ECES (long ago).  He have since advance to a different level.  There are part of me which is envious but super stoke for him, a little melancholy because i can't keep up on those steep/icy run.  Just the motivation i need 🙂 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Bob - I recall riding the Buttermilk lift with you several times. But I did get the vibe that you prefer to ride alone. If you enjoy riding alone, you never have to make arrangements with others!

One. Two ok. Three+ ruins the slope. I’m talking total carvers on entire mountain. Heck, pairs can ruin slopes too. We’re all partners out there but I’d rather watch from the lift than snake a line from a fellow carver. We need our space. Sharing is caring. “Smart style” in the sense of trenchin cause the whole mountain is our “park”. Skiers too I guess. 

6 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

I like riding with that Schred groomer guy!

Alternate personality? Carvers are complex, not judging. And tree wells are not a joke, a patrol at the Bird died in one. I tipped over in the trees after taking a wizz and used way too many muscles to release my step-in and get back up, luckily I was zipped back up ! I guess having someone there to look after you is a good thing.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, MR. JOHN DEERE ! said:

My GUYz, and we always like it tight.
More, you mean MORE aggravating. Ask holes, know it all’s, wanna be BTO’s, FOS’ers, all have worn out their welcome. 

Ya guy.  Fake btos, can’t hang, can’t chill.  Not der nuthin but take yer reps

• Like 1