Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries, 2021/22

BlueB

Checking in, from Sun Peaks! 

We were surprised on arrival, last night, how thin was the cover, on lower elevations. 5cm overnight realy helped! The morning conditions were hero, but not for too long. Steeper runs got all chopped up, fairly quickly, even with not so many people around. Still, great conditions compared to garbage we had at Cypress over the last few weeks. Flatter runs remained great through the day. Moguls, very rideable. 

My exam is going really shitty, so far. I could not string 2 good runs, back to back, on any tasks so far... 

More snow to come, tonight. 

Edited by BlueB

Sun Peaks, day 2 

Some fresh overnight, getting colder, sunny. 

They made us ride the corridor in pretty deep, choppy stuff. We had to sideslip the run to make it suitable for the task. I did ok on both runs. However, later I screwed up the park pretty badly... 

Tomorrow, the teaching tasks. 

Edited by BlueB

Cypress today. The (wet) snowfall over the weekend made for some pretty good carving conditions since the temperature dropped a bit. Other folks were complaining about "icy" conditions but that Prior I bought cut through it like butter. Since the snow held up throughout the day, I went until I was exhausted... 9AM to 7PM, riding pretty aggressively too.

My legs hurt now.

Sun Peaks 3 

More freshies, cold. I struggled with the Elan Vertigo on a warmup run, through the trees. Changed to 3800 quickly before the exam started - it was the right decision! 

Teaching task went quite smoothly. 

On 2/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, charliechocolate said:

Hello from Montucky.

IMG-20220202-101200.jpg

Awesome! More? 

Also, how's the injury?  

Sun Peaks 4 (yesterday) 

Super cold - my boots shrunk half size, bindings were loose in the middle of the exam 😳. Fixed after lunch. 

I did the ped (instructor training) section pretty good... yet still not good enough 😪 

Tonight, Cypress. 

Edited by BlueB

Howdy, heading to Whistler for Sunday Feb 6 for 6 days. Never been and was looking for some guidance on which trails are best suited for blue groomer carving? While I plan to mix it up a bit terrain-wise with the family, any advance intel would save me some time locating the better carving runs when I have time to myself. Thanks! 

Cypress evening session, drizzle, soft yet somewhat compact/grippy snow. We made it work... Few instructors starting to get the heel side euro carve. 

Saw another guy on an old Oxygen race board, just learning the ropes. 

Frozen hardback, everywhere but Sky Chair... Fog cleared in the am before opening, then came back at 2pm again. 

I've spent most of the day with my niece, visiting from Europe (and riding hard boots!). We were with Tony for few runs. Luka joined us, after noon. 

Ah, yes, I've banged myself pretty good on one of the jumps 😆

Whistler 

Nice groomers in the am, still some fresh, or soft snow, here and there. High overcast became sunny in the pm. Snow turned a bit slushy. Spring like conditions at the base. 

I found quite a few good freeride lines around Glacier and Jersy, that I haven't used (much) before. 

Now, the traffic... 

The snow was incredible this morning at Cypress. Got rather soft later in the day, but was still carvable with some effort, and not too many people. Ran into @Cousin of Beagle (I think), who promptly called me "jarhead", heh.

I tried to ride my Coiler AMT again with Burton race plates, and only managed to do two runs with it before giving up and going back to the Prior. I do not understand how anyone rides with those bindings, they have far too much flex for my comfort. I don't even know if I'll end up keeping the Coiler either... feels like a noodle. It may end up in the for sale section soon, along with my old Pure Race.

On the other hand, god is the 177cm WCRM amazing for aggressive, high speed turns. The 13m sidecut is perfect, it's remarkably stiff, and eats through ice like its nothing. I think I'm in love with this board!

18 hours ago, BlueB said:

Nothing like slush moguls 🙂 and that's what your Coiler, paired with floppy bindings, should be perfect for. 

You would think, but the lateral flex those bindings allow is enough to drive me insane. I thought it was just because I had them set a notch too loose, but bringing up the toe piece up once made the bindings extremely difficult to pull over the toe...

The whole board just feels generally muted compared to when I used it with the F2 race titanium bindings. And the flex of the board with the F2s was already excessive enough that I could ollie it like a freestyle board, which was nice for jumps, but a nightmare for any aggressive carving.

I'll leave it setup with the cant/lift plates that came with the Burton bindings for you to try. Won't be up for a while though.