Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries, 2021/22

BlueB

With most of hard boots and ski boots the shell accommodates a round size and 0.5 up liner, i.e. 27-27.5. You can check the numbers engraved on the inside of the lower part of the shell (not on the cuff). 

I'm sure, with a bit of creativity, in-line hangers could be mounted to hard boots. 🤔 But do you want it that heavy and stiff? 

Ah, you're right. I confused it with MS boots which have three liner sizes per shell size.

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

I'm sure, with a bit of creativity, in-line hangers could be mounted to hard boots. 🤔 But do you want it that heavy and stiff? 

I'm sure it would be miserable to actually skate on, but would make for a pretty comical hardboot review on pavement.

On the flip side, I may have to look at modifying my hardboot skates to deal with the cuff that freely swings forward... probably too soft for me. Having learned so much about alpine snowboarding makes me wonder if spring systems could exist in the inline skating world.

• Like 1

Blackcomb  

Levi and I have hit the slopes, yesterday, hoping for some hero soft pack, after few days of snowstorms - and we were not wrong! Upper mountain was to die for! Especially the Ridge Runner, as it needs a long traverse in / traverse out, with the Christal chair not running, not many people ventured that way in the am. As that was the favorite run of late Chris Prior, we dedicated our carves to him. 
Our morning boards were WCRM and OES Sputnik. 

A disaster struck at about 11am. We went lower down, to check the Springboard and the snow was frozen crap. I went too aggressive and a heel side euro ended with the hand in a frozen rut and twisted under my body. We found a patrol guy, up at the Randevouz, he gave me a temporary splint an I carried on riding, just switched to Tanker. The real pain and swelling started only later... X-rays at ER, in the evening, has shown 2 fractures of the pinky. Orthopedic surgeon, this morning, saw another micro crack at the wrist. No surgery required, but season over... 

Edited by BlueB
  • Sad 1

@BlueB I was worried fractures were involved after seeing how severe the swelling had become at the end of the day... guess your tennis is going to be ruined for a while. Hopefully no significant tendon or ligament damage comes up later.

I'm also going to be chasing that feeling of carving up Ridge Runner next season. That run is amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

Blackcomb, with @roch on his first time on hardboots. It was snowing on most of the mountain, and the snow conditions were tolerable, especially as things softened up through the day. Grooming all of a sudden became horrendous at certain sections though... I'm suspecting staff shortages.

Ridge Runner was still a joy to carve up. Tested out the OES AM 167 from Boris... did not enjoy the board nearly as much as I hoped to.

Blackcomb, with @roch again on hardboots. Snowing at higher elevations, rain on the rest of the mountain. Produced slow but very carvable slop that was ideal for the 23cm waist boards were were trying. Tested the F2 El Diablo, which I found fun and very versatile but wasn't hooking short radius turns as well as I would have liked.

Then I tested the Pure Boarding Bastard. Unbelievably fun, carves like an SL board while retaining a very playful flex profile that makes it great for non-carving applications. This board really hits the sweet spot in the category of all mountain alpine boards. I ended up buying it! Only downside is the incredibly tacky topsheet graphic. I may cover it in stickers and censor the name as this is likely to become my instructor board.

Might head up for one last day next weekend...

Blackcomb, one last time. I bought up the 180cm Donek Incline, expecting slop, but the snow actually held together better than I expected. My carving was a lot better today, too.

@roch used some unnamed prototype board from OES. He rode off a cat track into a tree, no injuries thankfully...

Can't wait for next season!

Blackcomb for the final time this season slush all day with a little pack at the top riding the gb coming from soft boots its a blast and allows a very easy transition from soft to hard boots for me. 
riding with only soft booters today really shows the speed difference.
no backwards mounted bindings today.

thank you for the great season @Jarcode and @BlueB for allowing me to find out about this sport
hope to get more into it next season

Edited by roch
  • Like 1

• Jack M locked this topic