Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries, 2021/22

BlueB

@BlueB I did make sure I was comfortable skidding around (and some bland tricks) without needing any upper body movement. I still prefer the extreme setback and locked mode even for that. I just want the ability to carve comfortably since I am weighing whether I could use a setup like this for teaching or softboots, plus taking the L2 course next season.

I would also be interested in buying those springs off you.

Last evening session with the instructors... Sunny, slushy, everyone in good mood. 

I'm getting used to the new boots. Maybe I'll get away without improvising some spring system... 

Edited by BlueB

@BlueB different instructor than you expected, it's actually Nelson teaching it this time. You apparently know each other already.

This course is very easy. Thankfully I got some real runs in at lunch and some turns in during the more casual rides on the first day. The instructor made sure to show off his own carving to me, hahaha.

The freeride board is also growing on me again. It's really nice for mellow carving with plates. Lots of weird looks, though. Very wide gap in riding ability between the riders attending the course.

I definitely need to take the L2 course early next season.

@Jarcode, Ah Nelson, the dredlock guy! Say hi, for me. 

I told you it's easy 🙂 Dumb-down your riding, focus on teaching part and you'll be fine. 

Snowing very wet, Cypress style, over here. I brought your AMT, but going out on a freeride board... 

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

@Jarcode, Ah Nelson, the dredlock guy! Say hi, for me. 

I told you it's easy 🙂 Dumb-down your riding, focus on teaching part and you'll be fine. 

Snowing very wet, Cypress style, over here. I brought your AMT, but going out on a freeride board... 

Actually, the teaching part is by far the easiest for me. The hardest is dumbing down my riding; I have to constantly tell myself to ride a certain way for demonstrations. The riding standard from day one was easy, but the type of skidded turns they want for actual lessons is something I have to actively think about, especially the neutral straight-ish posture. It's pretty alien to me since it has been about a decade since I rode at that level... everything I know feels innate.

Nelson is an excellent carver too. He actually gave me some higher-level feedback for my actual riding, which was a nice bonus.

Got two runs in before the course this morning with the WCRM, boy is the grooming something else at Sun Peaks. Swapping between the two on the other hand is still really awkward. Nelson insists the technique should be the same, but I'm a little apprehensive about his advice there.

Well, now that I have the L1 course out of the way, it's probably the end of the season for me. I got some really fun laps in with the WCRM again at the end of the day, but we were starting to get pooling water at the bottom of the lifts at Sun Peaks. Spotted one mystery hardbooter on my last chairlift ride up — tried to yell at him but he was focused on his riding. White boots and a wider alpine board... anyone from here?

@BlueB Nelson said hi, he's going to be up at Lake Louise later apparently.

51 minutes ago, Jarcode said:

Well, now that I have the L1 course out of the way, it's probably the end of the season for me. I got some really fun laps in with the WCRM again at the end of the day, but we were starting to get pooling water at the bottom of the lifts at Sun Peaks. Spotted one mystery hardbooter on my last chairlift ride up — tried to yell at him but he was focused on his riding. White boots and a wider alpine board... anyone from here?

@BlueB Nelson said hi, he's going to be up at Lake Louise later apparently.

I guess it was success. Congrats! 

See you next season, if not before. 

Trying to decide between Manning and Cypress for one last day of the season... @BlueB you going to be up tomorrow?

Personally I want to avoid the excessive slush from late season conditions, Manning is going to be colder and is almost completely empty... but their chairlifts are so slow I can take a nap on the way up.

17 minutes ago, Jarcode said:

Trying to decide between Manning and Cypress for one last day of the season... @BlueB you going to be up tomorrow?

Personally I want to avoid the excessive slush from late season conditions, Manning is going to be colder and is almost completely empty... but their chairlifts are so slow I can take a nap on the way up.

No, heading to Lake Louise, in the morning 🙂

One awesome day at Manning today. Very empty, close to ideal carving conditions for most of the day. No ice, just nice predictable hardpack with snowfall for most of the day. Destroyed a pair of gloves completely...

It's unfortunate their season is ending this weekend since they're about to get dumped on again, and actually had more snow since the last time I was up there. I'm almost tempted to head up again tomorrow.

@BlueB enjoy your trip!

Lake Louise, day 1

I arrived a day earlier and joined the pre-exam training group. 

I'm not feeling it at all, riding like crap. Not feeling very well in general. 

Mediocre snow, frozen in the am on the front side, but softer at the back side. 

Lake, day 2 

1st day of exams. Carving, corridor, moguls and medium sliding turns done. I did ok... Not convinced that it's good enough, but way better than all the nonsense I was doing yesterday... I feel better too. Not going to the very peak probably helped. No weird hearth beats today. 

• Like 1

Looking at the unusual end of season weather I might come up once again this Saturday to Cypress. I'm also starting my hunt for equipment next season, since I will be teaching and riding a lot.

@BlueB hope to catch you this weekend, if you're heading up.

Bad grooming hardpack in am, turned into rideable/carvable slop later. 

4 hardbooters! Good way to finish the season at Cypress. Tomorrow should be the last day, unless some unexpected extension happened. 

I'll still ride at Whistler few times, for those who cared to join. To the rest of the crew - have a great summer! 

Edited by BlueB

It was a fun season. Next will be a very intense one for me, looking for full time work at a resort and likely riding a lot on my days off.

Unfortunately I won't be at Cypress nearly as much as I was this season, especially if I'm taking advantage of staff housing at another resort. The abysmal grooming doesn't help either... hopefully that improves next year.

@BlueB do you have any boot fitter recommendations around Vancouver? I'm getting some new .951 boots and would like to find someone who knows what they are doing so I don't have to put up with pain next season.

On another note, my m28 700T shells will be up for sale eventually, will sell for a bargain to any locals.

6 hours ago, Jarcode said:

@BlueB do you have any boot fitter recommendations around Vancouver? I'm getting some new .951 boots and would like to find someone who knows what they are doing so I don't have to put up with pain next season.

On another note, my m28 700T shells will be up for sale eventually, will sell for a bargain to any locals.

Congrats on new boots. Maybe Surefoot at Whistler? 

I thought your boots were m27... 

The liners were m28, but I'm pretty sure the shells are the exact same for m27 and m28. My liners were tearing from the inside out on the rear foot. The boots are pretty scuffed up, but considering the construction of the T700s I'm sure they could take a lot more abuse.

We'll see how long it takes to get the .951s shipped here... was not cheap. I also bought some new hardboot inline skates. If only there was a way to put wheels on my snowboard hardboots... 🤔