Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries, 2021/22

BlueB

Weird day - from "east coast" to "west coast" conditions in few hours. I from 11am to 2pm, we got 10cm and was still coming down strongly when we left. 

I hated my life on wrongly set Kessler bxn. No idea how I've set the bindings last time 🤔. Felt better, later, on the 3800... but the conditions changed too. 

I tested the spare lense on my new goggles and liked it a lot. Funny, as it is amber, I never liked these before. 

I was up at Cypress on Sunday. Made sure I was first in line for the groomed runs... with the warmer conditions, the snow held so firmly that it actually threw me off.

The mountain filled up pretty fast though. I'm thinking about putting plates on my freestyle board again so I can ride better off-piste with other softbooters, and just bringing up two boards. Might play with canting disks on that too... @BlueB you wouldn't happen to have any experience with hardbooting on freestyle boards, would you?

Still waiting on my new board from Canada Post. I'm realizing more and more the 165cm coiler only really shines for when I need to maneuver around crowded slopes. It's so awkward at higher speeds, and I can't throw my weight into it without risking washing out. Did that on a toe-side carve on ice at a pretty high speed and ended up slamming my jaw on the way down... biting my tongue. Ugh.

Seems like the warmer weather and rain is back, so I might skip out next weekend.

5 hours ago, Jarcode said:

I'm thinking about putting plates on my freestyle board again so I can ride better off-piste with other softbooters, and just bringing up two boards. Might play with canting disks on that too... @BlueB you wouldn't happen to have any experience with hardbooting on freestyle boards, would you?

I mostly ride that kind of setup, nowadays, for work and versatility. I don't have any true freestyle boards, but plenty of freeride and pow sticks. 

The trick is to have the boots that are flexy enough in forward direction, even if you had to ride them unlocked, and bindings that have lots or lateral flex. I find the F2 Carve RS and old Burtons the best. 

Inward canting is ok if you ride very low angles. Flat is ok too. For more forward, I'd still use classic fwd toe, rear heel, lifts and maybe some inward canting rear, if the angle is below 30°. 

I set my rear boot to have some overhang and front some underhang. On my 3800 I have the Burton Carriers at about +27/+3, or so. Sometimes I ride duck, too. 

18 hours ago, BlueB said:

The trick is to have the boots that are flexy enough in forward direction, even if you had to ride them unlocked, and bindings that have lots or lateral flex. I find the F2 Carve RS and old Burtons the best. 

Inward canting is ok if you ride very low angles. Flat is ok too. For more forward, I'd still use classic fwd toe, rear heel, lifts and maybe some inward canting rear, if the angle is below 30°. 

I set my rear boot to have some overhang and front some underhang. On my 3800 I have the Burton Carriers at about +27/+3, or so. Sometimes I ride duck, too. 

Hmm. I was planning to throw some old Burton race plates on it, haven't actually tried them yet but they look like they have a lot of play. Never liked riding with boot lean unlocked though, feels like I'm tossing the responsiveness of hardboots out the window.

I have those weird cant/wedge plates that are inclined along the board itself, rather than the binding, so I think I'll just try one of those on the rear foot with a wide forward stance. My goal is to comfortably manage riding trees without having to take off the hardboots, and just swapping between two boards for the day...

Rains did lots of damage to the hill. Apparently we lost about 3' of snow 😞

Tonight, the snow was slushy, but not soupy, ok to carve on it. Good for practicing angulation snow balance. 

Weapon: Elan Vertigo 

Edited by BlueB

We called it early today since a chair went down and the conditions were just generally sloppy and crowded. Only a couple sections of the mountain could be carved well on, everything else was just surfing on chopped-up slush.

Although, the sections I could carve on were nice, especially the area leading up to the bottom of Ravens chair. The WCRM clearly can handle my weight and riding, completely eliminating my issues with over-compressing my previous board. There's some pop to it coming out of turns, too. I think this is going to be my go-to board for most carvable conditions, the Coiler AMT I was riding before honestly feels like a noodle compared to it...

I'm going to wait out until colder weather comes in, though. I was riding with a single long-sleeve shirt on and still sweating.

@BlueB I could have sworn I saw you on a chair with an alpine board hanging down. I was riding raven's most of the time with another instructor that rode up with me.

Long term forecast is looking better two weeks from now. I highly doubt conditions will improve by next weekend. I can tolerate ice, but skipping on top of waves of accumulated slush just isn't for me...

1 hour ago, Jarcode said:

@BlueB I could have sworn I saw you on a chair with an alpine board hanging down. I was riding raven's most of the time with another instructor that rode up with me.

Long term forecast is looking better two weeks from now. I highly doubt conditions will improve by next weekend. I can tolerate ice, but skipping on top of waves of accumulated slush just isn't for me...

I was on a regular freeride board, with hardboots. Makes the life a lot easier in variable conditions. I actually like riding the moguls, a lot. 

10 hours ago, BlueB said:

I was on a regular freeride board, with hardboots. Makes the life a lot easier in variable conditions. I actually like riding the moguls, a lot. 

I would have been doing this myself if it weren't for wanting to try out a brand new board, although I think just finding a shitty pair of softboots would honestly be better. The only hardboots I have are the Track 700s, which I love for their stiffness, but I just don't need that much leverage in slush.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get another one of those arctic outflows... made for some incredible carving conditions and actually reduced the amount of people on the mountain. I guess most Vancouverites can't handle real cold!