Note to New Members ×

What was your best run of the 19/20 Season?

Chouinard

Midweek in Aspen the week of Montucky I woke up to yet again more fresh snow. Rode one of the first chairs up to the top of Snowmass to make the third track down Sneaky’s thru 4”-6” of powder over groom. Lapped the run 4 more times until the crowd chocked up the pitch.

• Like 2

Pow: First 1.5 runs of a heli trip, in Fabruary, until some fool hit me, while standing still 😡 and damaged a nerv leading into my right hand 🤕 

Carving: The second last day of our season, mid March, on OES Sputnik. On one of the runs down the JJA I linked at least 15 EC turns. 

Moguls: I had many good runs, can't single out one. Most were on the 3800. 

The last one. Well that's probably not quite correct, it's just the one I can remember best. With hindsight I should have taken another run, as it was minutes later that Vail Resorts closed everything down.

This one below was quite good - decent powder, a slope which is actually about to get very steep, and three friends trying to video each other . There was a snow-snake which I hit about a second after this which caused a sharp turn I'd not anticipated. The result was that Ken (in orange) had to swerve, resulting in him and Jim colliding harmlessly in a big cloud of powder. spacer.png
It's always easier to remember the runs you've images of.

• Like 1

This one took a lot of thought. It was at MCC on Far Pig Chute. I dropped in, and I knew it was on, I just kept cranking turns, and managed to get 2 wicked toesides on that wall on riders right just before Jeep road came in at the very bottom. I was so geeked by that I kept telling anyone I saw about it. I think I told Redman about it at least 3 times.

mario

Edited by big mario
Thought I was regular for a minute, checked again and I'm still goofy
  • Like 3

Last run in Winter Park this season.... Top of Parsons along Parry Peak. Some of the best snow I have seen this season, perfect glades, bluebird sky. I have been struggling a lot this year but this run everything clicked. It was wonderful.

Day 3 at MCC.  Maybe day 4?  The groom was epic, it felt like there was near-infinite grip.  I was smiling ear-to-ear in a shot that @Riceball took of me.  Riding with buddies, nice day, no straightliners trying to kill me from above.  It doesn't get better.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

1st tracks before the hill is open have a special dream-like sweetness.

I was "board" yesterday.  A little snow in the morning and a cold, blustery day, so I spliced a few clips together of layin' down some of those 1st tracks at Indianhead from this past season.

Good dog, Happy man...great record!

Nice riding, smooth.

• Thanks 1

For my it would be carving on the tomba black race run in bansko bulgaria, It confirmed to me just how far my riding had progressed and i loved every single turn. Sadly my friends who i was on holiday really struggled and no-one wanted to go for another run down it so i never got any footage sadly 😞

I did get plenty of other footage from the same trip though, still got a far bit to improve but im heading in the right direction

• Like 3

My best run occurred when I was at my local bump to test out some binding tweaks (increased angles, added heel lift, increased setback) over MLK weekend. It’s hard to acclimate to the changes when you’ve only got a few hundred feet of vertical to play with, but something felt good at the very end of the first run. Second run felt like the board was riding on rails; every input had the expected output and I got the board more up on edge than I had ever before.

Here’s to more runs like that next year!

Best runs of 2019 bookended some time in Aspen.

First day at the Milk, riding with Slopestar and a crew of others. Blue skies, good snow, great company, and ear to ear smiles. I could barely walk at the end of the day.

Last day before I flew home, less than a week before my 60th birthday, breaking through the 30% handicap on Snowmass NASTAR.

And in between, Chouinard graciously loaned me his Thirst Superconductor. Great time had, and 14 months later I'm still Thirsty.

• Like 1

3/15: Brian Head UT

After having spent a couple less than ideal days (icy, grey, horizontal snow/sleet) in SLC and seeing IKON resorts closing we headed home dejected but past Brian Head. I've never been there but some lifts were on wind-hold, but sunny!  We had time for 1/2 day and went for it.

11" of fresh the day before, bluebird day, breezy; our first run on Fremont on the Navajo Express (an easy green) brought first ever chills of joy to my spine - and not from the cold! 

We later met with a super nice local carver who showed us the carving runs (with proper social distancing) and we finished with the absolute last chair of the day again on the Navajo express.  It was unforgettable.  Best 1/2 day ever.