Note to New Members ×

I just might drop the hardboots.

workshop7

10 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

Wow, you must be putting some serious loads on it. Makes sense. 

The Talon Focus has 2 Boa coilers. One for the top of the foot (coiler is on the side of the boot)and one that starts at the top of the foot ending at the top of the boot. I’m tearing out the guides that are at the ankle articulation point on both feet. More so on my back foot. If you have seen Big Mario’s flat land 360 from last week where the ankle cuff pivot bolt failed, it’s not just an issue with softboots. Heavyweights like Mario and I do push the pedal pretty hard resulting in equipment failure. I’m currently working on shedding some pounds. Maybe I’ll get a few more days out of my gear before attrition or (gulp) catostrophic failure.

Edited by slopestar

17 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

I love my Burton Ion boots...then again I use 3 straps ...

Skis also carve...it is not just Speed and Edge Hold...single edge is a feeling they cannot get

Ion's, O-Drives and a third strap gets you pretty darn close. 👍  I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

5 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Ion's, O-Drives and a third strap gets you pretty darn close. 👍  I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

No breakage on the highbacks? 

1 hour ago, bobdea said:

No breakage on the highbacks? 

No.  But I also don't ride softboots that often.  Once, maybe twice a year?  Pow or post-pow soft groom is pretty much it.  Maybe this weekend if I can get motivated and this nor'easter cooperates. 👍

8 hours ago, Kneel said:

How do you lock your highback? 

9 hours ago, Kneel said:

Same as the third boot strap. 1.5” x 24” Velcro strap through the cutout vertically down and around the heel ring.  Envision HD Velcro straps from amazon...

Can you share a photo of your setup?

This is a 3 strap with bolted High Back and different Burton binding parts...I make my own now and have for many years, with help from Burton...yea, I know what I like

No, you can't fold it down, so yes, I pay attention when getting off chairs with questionable clearance, I broke one of the Torques long ago and learned not to do that...the combination of a stiff highback, locked with a leather strap, as a complete assembly, totally moves the pressure point off the ankle, up the leg...meaning it has a constant pressure like a ski boot and not loaded only on the ankle, especially frontside turns...remember JG saying, thats Crazy! you have no ankle flex...actually there is Ankle flex, as the tightness of the top strap, the flex in the Highback all contribute to an overall forward flex...It's a choice OK, not for everyone, the mostly Hero snow here and Grooming allow it to work well for Carving...I think more like a skater or a surfer on a wave, not a gate type approach so roughly 200 days on this pair...If I lived where I needed HB, or Ran Gates, then I would use them...most of the Great SB riders on this site do not use or need these to Carve...

3 straps.jpg

1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

This is a 3 strap with bolted High Back and different Burton binding parts...I make my own now and have for many years, with help from Burton...yea, I know what I like

No, you can't fold it down, so yes, I pay attention when getting off chairs with questionable clearance, I broke one of the Torques long ago and learned not to do that...the combination of a stiff highback, locked with a leather strap, as a complete assembly, totally moves the pressure point off the ankle, up the leg...meaning it has a constant pressure like a ski boot and not loaded only on the ankle, especially frontside turns...remember JG saying, thats Crazy! you have no ankle flex...actually there is Ankle flex, as the tightness of the top strap, the flex in the Highback all contribute to an overall forward flex...It's a choice OK, not for everyone, the mostly Hero snow here and Grooming allow it to work well for Carving...I think more like a skater or a surfer on a wave, not a gate type approach so roughly 200 days on this pair...If I lived where I needed HB, or Ran Gates, then I would use them...most of the Great SB riders on this site do not use or need these to Carve...

3 straps.jpg

I like the aesthetics of this set up also actually, looks sweet as with the black + brown leather. I like it a lot!!

I think in my resort, they wouldn't actually let you on the lift, though, have you ever had a resort deny you lift access?

The chairs at the two local resorts pass so close to the ground that a fixed highback would be shattered. If not at the bottom, definitely at the top. They have shattered bindings mounted to the sign reminding people to put their highbacks down. 

Unfortunately for him, Bob doesn't get to ride in Manitoba. He's stuck in Aspen for most of his days. His loss... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, the state Tram board, has a regulation for the clearance which is 20", I believe, typically here, there is no problem except after heavy snowfalls and sometimes, they just don't bother till it gets so low, they do something...I will simply push the board out front, when it is short on space. Once at Highlands years ago they said something, then said go ahead 😬

No problem up in Montucky either ❤️

On 3/21/2019 at 3:02 PM, Kneel said:

I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

Any experience with the Razor in powder? I rode one for 4 years before jumping to hardboots and have been hanging onto it for the day I see powder. 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, cbrkid1981 said:

there are a couple super stiff bindings I have I have found that Now O-Drives, Burton Diodes, and the old Nidecker carbons are bomb. 

also, I was just riding my new to me SG Soul today with the Nows and Jones MTB boots.  Great ride for sure.  

SG Soul is an amazing board on hardpack, pow, and slush. Looks funny but it’s a quiver of one. Not as good at carving as a hardboot rig but damn close.

3 hours ago, fish said:

SG Soul is an amazing board on hardpack, pow, and slush. Looks funny but it’s a quiver of one. Not as good at carving as a hardboot rig but damn close.

SG Soul Titan 159 might be the one. 

A lot of the Japanese girls I know ride them and love them! My partner has a 154, it is her first board and she's doing fine on it. I think that shows how just friendly it is! 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride this one. Before I went to Japan this year, I gave up on softboots for what I think will be the last time.

The Gray in the photo (166 long V Type R) was actually supposed to be mine for this season, but I just couldn't make softboots work for me in 2018, so I gave it up to my friend (instructor, actually).

He loves it, though.

The 159 Soul is ridden by his wife. Just a small Japanese girl and she totally rips on it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2019 at 6:09 PM, slopestar said:

I wish there was a high end boot with regular laces... but it doesn’t exist. Not trying to sell it. I deal with what I have to deal with... we all carried zip ties and duct tape back in the late 80’s/early 90’s

Reviving a necrotic thread here but I just bought ThirtyTwo TM-3s with regular laces. I think they're the only company out there that still makes a super stiff high-end boot with regular laces.

I replaced a pair of DC Travis Rice double Boa boots that are supposedly the stiffest that DC makes, but feels like a noodle compared to the TM-3, even without the stiffener bars in. The DCs aren't that old (maybe 10 days on them over 2 years) but the Boas won't stay tight. They never broke but I was constantly fiddling with them. The Travis Rices have a steel cable that is stronger than normal Boa cables.

The footprint of the TM-3s is also about 1/2" smaller so I'm able to ride a stock Donek Saber 162 at my normal 27/18 angles without overhang. I have NX2-GTs and the TM-3s fit better than the DC except that the ridged achilles support going up the backside of the boot tends to catch so I get this weird notching when going heel to toe. If this keeps happening while riding I'll file down those ridges.

My son is nearing my foot size so the DC boots won't go to waste. He's lazy and loves the Boas.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 7:09 PM, slopestar said:

I wish there was a high end boot with regular laces... but it doesn’t exist. Not trying to sell it. I deal with what I have to deal with... we all carried zip ties and duct tape back in the late 80’s/early 90’s

My leather Ions have regular laces.  Well, I mean, not shoelace style, they're the Speedzone ones with the T-handle on them, but still they are not BOA.  Mind you the Ions aren't all that stiff.