Note to New Members ×

I just might drop the hardboots.

workshop7

27 minutes ago, Jack M said:

I hope you saw the wink, I did not mean any harm.  I only meant that hardboots still have their place.  And I meant it in good fun. 

Understood.  No worries.  I’m still more passionate about riding hard than soft.  I just can’t get enough of the damn Flux lately.  I would try riding it with hardboots but it’s 28 wide so that’s not gonna to happen.

@workshop7, Sean built me a 22 wide Flux, my second actually, which is my goto ride at Stratton especially when I've rolled out of bed too late. It's an excellent hardboot platform that performs very well in the "diverse" conditions we experience here in the NE.  From pow to bulletproof, you can ride it all day and it's just so damn predictable even as conditions deteriorate.  👍

I'm planning to have Sean build me a Flux for the next season....Till now , my softboot fleet was including two stock '05 and '06 glass Inclines...Very happy with them, but want some new and more damp toy now...What have you guys Flux happy owners been going with?...stock models, special sauce construction....?

IMG_1011.thumb.JPG.47c2e3b7f28ae2bec89a3e82a17c090a.JPG

19 minutes ago, RoroSnow said:

I'm planning to have Sean build me a Flux for the next season....Till now , my softboot fleet was including two stock '05 and '06 glass Inclines...Very happy with them, but want some new and more damp toy now...What have you guys Flux happy owners been going with?...stock models, special sauce construction....?

My buddy & I demo'd a couple of boards from Donek: a Flux and a Saber. We both loved the Flux. I ordered one the same length that I demo'd (159), a bit wider (28) and built for my weight (160 lbs). Love it. Can't think of what I would do differently. 

Edited by JohnE
photo
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

@shawndoggy What are you riding for angles in that video?

I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure.  My guess would be like 45ish front and 38ish rear?  Not as aggressive as my hardboot setup (55/50) but still "forward."  Basically I just went to where I have zero overhang.  Also running bomber power plates (3*3* mostly lift but a little inward cant too).

Using the argument that High Speeds and Steep Pitches are the Ultimate in HB, that is Correct...though for me, they were Ski Boots with Skis...I skied for years in HB before I ever stepped on a Snowboard, there is a reason why, the FIS has Snowboard and Ski Races separated...was just thinking about Mikaela and what an incredible season she has had...today with the firm conditions here I actually thought I might like to get some Skis again after 35 years...going 60 on Skis is way easier than on a Single Stick folks, there are thousands of young minds being influenced toward Skis, just because of Her...

and here is a shot I took two years ago at the WC races here...

Mikaela.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slopestar said:

No one cares what boots I wear... 

That’s because you ride flow bindings. We all think you’re in sorrels or LL Bean duck boots.

truthfully though, what boots DO you wear? Pretty convinced the boot (and calf size) has a lot to do with if you like flow bindings or not. 

1 hour ago, bobdea said:

That’s because you ride flow bindings. We all think you’re in sorrels or LL Bean duck boots.

truthfully though, what boots DO you wear? Pretty convinced the boot (and calf size) has a lot to do with if you like flow bindings or not. 

Flow talon focus boa. Very stiff... I get about 1.5 seasons out of a pair. 40-60 days. The ones I’m riding are packed out so bad that I added a simple foot bed. Hard boots are fantastic but the subtle pressuring I get from softies is where it’s at for me. Never felt comfortable leaning into the tongue on a hard shell. I have been on flow boots and bindings for 22 years. I’m not changing now. Just rebuilt 2 pairs of Nx2’s and pair of the nx2’s with the nylon(or whatever) highbacks. Next season, a new pair of the carbons and fresh set of boots. I rip out boa laces like they are going out of style. I have several ankle ladder ratchet straps if anyone needs them. I’m so stoked on snowboarding. Can’t wait to see friends this weekend that I have hardly ridden with all year. A-basin on Sunday... see you there Marvin’ 

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Using the argument that High Speeds and Steep Pitches are the Ultimate in HB, that is Correct...though for me, they were Ski Boots with Skis...I skied for years in HB before I ever stepped on a Snowboard, there is a reason why, the FIS has Snowboard and Ski Races separated...was just thinking about Mikaela and what an incredible season she has had...today with the firm conditions here I actually thought I might like to get some Skis again after 35 years...going 60 on Skis is way easier than on a Single Stick folks, there are thousands of young minds being influenced toward Skis, just because of Her...

I don't think anybody denies that skis are superior for ultimate speed and edge hold.  A significant number of people leave our sport for exactly that reason.  However there is just something special about standing somewhat sideways and having both feet on one board.  Some people are simply meant to do it, some are meant not to.  I see very very few skiers who can carve similarly.

Snowboarding overall is indeed in decline because skiing is cool again and it is easier for little kids to learn it.  Years ago snowboarding enjoyed a population boom because it was the hot new fad and skiing was not.  Now the only kids who come to snowboarding are the ones who see the surf and want to catch our waves.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, slopestar said:

Flow talon focus boa. Very stiff... I get about 1.5 seasons out of a pair. 40-60 days. The ones I’m riding are packed out so bad that I added a simple foot bed. Hard boots are fantastic but the subtle pressuring I get from softies is where it’s at for me. Never felt comfortable leaning into the tongue on a hard shell. I have been on flow boots and bindings for 22 years. I’m not changing now. Just rebuilt 2 pairs of Nx2’s and pair of the nx2’s with the nylon(or whatever) highbacks. Next season, a new pair of the carbons and fresh set of boots. I rip out boa laces like they are going out of style. I have several ankle ladder ratchet straps if anyone needs them. I’m so stoked on snowboarding. Can’t wait to see friends this weekend that I have hardly ridden with all year. A-basin on Sunday... see you there Marvin’ 

Alright, confirmed! 

I broke the boa mechanism on my k2 maysis back when i was riding in softboots. BOA sent me a free replacement nob and associated hardware. It was easy to replace. Are you blowing out your boots in such a way that they simply can't be repaired? That sounds like total caca if you have to replace your boots every season. 

6 hours ago, Colozeus said:

I broke the boa mechanism on my k2 maysis back when i was riding in softboots. BOA sent me a free replacement nob and associated hardware. It was easy to replace. Are you blowing out your boots in such a way that they simply can't be repaired? That sounds like total caca if you have to replace your boots every season. 

Yes. The boa guide tears out of the boot. My boa coilers pop open during just about every run. 

Edited by slopestar

11 minutes ago, Corey said:

You're not really selling me on this plan... 😛

I wish there was a high end boot with regular laces... but it doesn’t exist. Not trying to sell it. I deal with what I have to deal with... we all carried zip ties and duct tape back in the late 80’s/early 90’s

• Like 1

14 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

I love my Burton Ion boots...then again I use 3 straps ...

Skis also carve...it is not just Speed and Edge Hold...single edge is a feeling they cannot get

i dunno, i maybe have 3 days on ski's. Every time i see an advanced skier carving some very nice and aggressive turns, i tell myself i want to do that. If i had more days on the snow i would probably split my days 50/50 hardboots then ski. carving fast on skis looks freaking amazing and fun. 

14 hours ago, slopestar said:

Yes. The boa guide tears out of the boot. My boa coilers pop open during just about every run. 

Wow, you must be putting some serious loads on it. Makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

i dunno, i maybe have 3 days on ski's. Every time i see an advanced skier carving some very nice and aggressive turns, i tell myself i want to do that. If i had more days on the snow i would probably split my days 50/50 hardboots then ski. carving fast on skis looks freaking amazing and fun. 

Wow, you must be putting some serious loads on it. Makes sense. 

Years ago I made the mistake of boa boots. This is why other than stiffness I haven’t really considered leaving the burton driver X.

youd thing boas would have improved in the last 15 years! 

• Like 1