Note to New Members ×

I just might drop the hardboots.

workshop7

12 hours ago, 5 Run Homer said:

Reviving a necrotic thread here but I just bought ThirtyTwo TM-3s with regular laces. I think they're the only company out there that still makes a super stiff high-end boot with regular laces.

I replaced a pair of DC Travis Rice double Boa boots that are supposedly the stiffest that DC makes, but feels like a noodle compared to the TM-3, even without the stiffener bars in. The DCs aren't that old (maybe 10 days on them over 2 years) but the Boas won't stay tight. They never broke but I was constantly fiddling with them. The Travis Rices have a steel cable that is stronger than normal Boa cables.

The footprint of the TM-3s is also about 1/2" smaller so I'm able to ride a stock Donek Saber 162 at my normal 27/18 angles without overhang. I have NX2-GTs and the TM-3s fit better than the DC except that the ridged achilles support going up the backside of the boot tends to catch so I get this weird notching when going heel to toe. If this keeps happening while riding I'll file down those ridges.

My son is nearing my foot size so the DC boots won't go to waste. He's lazy and loves the Boas.

The good thing about traditional lace is if your creative you can make a boot as stiff as you want it to be if your willing to tinker and experiment.

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

My leather Ions have regular laces.  Well, I mean, not shoelace style, they're the Speedzone ones with the T-handle on them, but still they are not BOA.  Mind you the Ions aren't all that stiff.

The brand new to me  Burtons i bought a couple seasons ago (as a back up pair) has those. before I could even use them, I tripped over the t-handle lace and it broke off the tab that locks the lace. can't win....

Edited by slopestar

The universe is beating you about the head and neck with your pile of broken high backs, mushed out boots and what not.  Succomb.  Don't fight.

Just a casual observation.😁  

Mario

2 hours ago, slopestar said:

The brand new to me  Burtons i bought a couple seasons ago (as a back up pair) has those. before I could even use them, I tripped over the t-handle lace and it broke off the tab that locks the lace. can't win....

8 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

the Stiffest Boot, is a 3 strap binding with a bolted high back...nothing anyone makes is that Stiff OK, nor does anything Stiff they Make Now Stay Stiff over time and use...

Once you go that direction what’s the point of softies? May as well just rock the hard boots. 

• Like 1

well, Lateral flex for one and since this was in reference to SB stiffness...by locking the highback and using different strap materials and tightness adjustment, a 3 strap can have a huge amount of lateral flex but a great increase in forward flex help, on those frontside ( Toe side for You Neil ) Turns... I have hundreds of Days on a pair and they don't break down like the Malamutes and all the other so called STIFF SB over time...that is what I am referring to here, not attacking HB OK...I have a HB set up Now and I don't like it...that's the thing here, different people, different opinions..

and by the way...I don't use HB for Skating or Surfing either... 😀 

• Like 2

If you use softer boots and flexier bindings you can get a surprising amount of lateral flex in a hardboot setup.  My old Raichle 224s and Titanflexes let me drive my back knee into my front if I like. When I got my softie setup this year, I wasn't looking to recreate that experience with different gear. 

I really like the looser feel of the softies in certain conditions. For example, this year I was running down a fairly steep bump run in pretty much white-out conditions with my new rig and having fun.  I found it much easier to adjust to unseen terrain changes with the soft gear. I think I would have had much less fun in hard boots.

Of course I don't want it too loose. I'm running Burton Ions/Genesis X which is soft by our standards but pretty stiff for most people I think

14 hours ago, big mario said:

The universe is beating you about the head and neck with your pile of broken high backs, mushed out boots and what not.  Succomb.  Don't fight.

Just a casual observation.

Mario

I have over 200 days on my current pair with no breaks or damage...just my Experience however 😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big mario said:

Just a casual observation.😁  

Mario

I agree, however I have tapped my resources and now have a huge supply of parts from Rider Services over at Flow! The universe has spoken!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1