Note to New Members ×

Game changing equipment

jng

Custom Foam liners from Heierling in Switzerland (Davos).

These guys have a lot of fitting experience (100+ years of it), we first started doing foot analysis, sure there are those pressure plates from Sidas and such, but they had a large one you walk on in order to determine your problems in motion. Then they were able to decide what cant to add to the footbed once it's formed. They also have laser alignment to check if the knees bend in linen or not, to decide if we'd wanna add boot canting.

Did the footbed, checked my shell (a bit small), went and spread the lower half to create more volume around the ankle, then it's the standard-ish procedure of injecting foam. Typically shops would do one boot at a time, at a raised platform because only skiers get it, but these guys have a ton of experience with snowboard racers, so they had me stand on my board and move in a circular motion while the foam flows and sets, that is rare at bootfitters....

In the end costed a fortune, but absolutely worth it because that afternoon was the most fun I've ever had snowboarding, going from the stock flo liner in UPZ to this was like going from soft to hard in the beginning, the response was just amazing!

They fit for a long list of racers, including our very own @nevingalmarini

No wonder these racers can ride so hard!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

Custom Foam liners from Heierling in Switzerland (Davos).

These guys have a lot of fitting experience (100+ years of it), we first started doing foot analysis, sure there are those pressure plates from Sidas and such, but they had a large one you walk on in order to determine your problems in motion. Then they were able to decide what cant to add to the footbed once it's formed. They also have laser alignment to check if the knees bend in linen or not, to decide if we'd wanna add boot canting.

Did the footbed, checked my shell (a bit small), went and spread the lower half to create more volume around the ankle, then it's the standard-ish procedure of injecting foam. Typically shops would do one boot at a time, at a raised platform because only skiers get it, but these guys have a ton of experience with snowboard racers, so they had me stand on my board and move in a circular motion while the foam flows and sets, that is rare at bootfitters....

In the end costed a fortune, but absolutely worth it because that afternoon was the most fun I've ever had snowboarding, going from the stock flo liner in UPZ to this was like going from soft to hard in the beginning, the response was just amazing!

They fit for a long list of racers, including our very own @nevingalmarini

No wonder these racers can ride so hard!

Nah sounds crap. Get a refund.

Jokes

Just booked a flight to Switzerland... 😘

Edited by daveo

After two years of the upz/f2 boot binding combo I FINALLY got them completely dialed in with the help of my belt sander. You heard it hear first folks, the game has been changed. 

Also im getting my 16 pieces of hardware in my ankle out soon. The protruding screws are starting to wear through my skin on both sides of my ankle, limiting my days to about 1.5 hours.  I can’t wait to ride a normal day  without searing rear leg pain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

After two years of the upz/f2 boot binding combo I FINALLY got them completely dialed in with the help of my belt sander. You heard it hear first folks, the game has been changed. 

Used belt sander to -

a) put canting angles on the F2 lift blocks?

b) put canting angles on the soles of your UPZs?

c) ground off the protruding screws in your ankle?????

d) something else again???????????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JRAZZ said:

These kind of pictures send my OCD into a tizzy! What are these doctors? Carpenters? I want my money back 😛

(JK, I have same in my wrist and the guy was amazing)

Yes, orthopaedic surgeons are just "warm" carpenters, and bone, unlike wood, regrows so they don't have to as precise as a joiner/furniture maker would be. 

19 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Yes, orthopaedic surgeons are just "warm" carpenters, and bone, unlike wood, regrows so they don't have to as precise as a joiner/furniture maker would be. 

That's a sobering thought...  Sometimes close enough really is close enough.  

That said, and any orthopaedic surgeons present gently teased, I have 3 stainless steel screws in my dominant hand index finger where a colleague repaired a fracture that included the joint surface. The finger has full range of movement and no arthritis. This anesthesiologist's hand works well despite recurrent abuse and I am very grateful. Now I just try to persuade snowboarders and skiers whose hands are their livelihood to adequately protect their hands.

Edit: Hand armour was a game changer for me. Didn't worry anymore if I got low enough that the snow came to meet my hand.

Edited by SunSurfer

5 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Don’t skateboard over 25 folks. 

Is it ok at 2x 25? 

Slalom and LDP are a hoot and great cross training for snowboarding! It's way less likely to wreck oneself than with freestyling or downhill. 

Speaking of SL and LDP skate, that was another game changer for my snowboarding - I started riding more balanced over the board and angulation improved. Also my taste shifted towards turnier boards. 

• Like 1

I get into LDP and didn't find it help with carving per se.  It sure is tons of fun.
It's very possible I am doing it wrong lol...

To be fair:  I was expecting that the "my longer than normal re-learning" curve will be decrease but it didn't.
Agree that help with balance is always good.

If you like turner board:  carver skateboards are tons of fun but the margin of error is so much smaller compare to long board.

4 hours ago, BlueB said:

Speaking of SL and LDP skate, that was another game changer for my snowboarding - I started riding more balanced over the board and angulation improved. Also my taste shifted towards turnier boards. 

Turny skateboards are fun, played with a Surfy skateboard (YOW) for the summer and that just completely opened up my midsection as far as range of movement goes, good and precise utilization now in my core which helps so much with angulation.

I would say LDP is much different tho, cuz it's just like, hip movement, but the same board can be used for amazing push&carve experiences, with almost the same technique as a snowboard.

Edited by pauleleven

22 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Don’t skateboard over 25 folks. 

If I would have listened to stuff like that back in the day, I would have missed out on years of fun and amazing friendships. I am 56 yo AND a fat bastard. I plan on being a skateboarder for as long as I can walk... 🙂

Some slalom runs through different courses:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnsO5H-Feyr/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1l1dxqcjvgm5n

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkSwCr9gutm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=lcncn8ml38v2

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW-_4BulSlv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1w2vy1umhu6ky

Cruising in the cold fall while waiting for snow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8RaA2lmxv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=86tq384uov5l

Edited by Mig
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

@Mig  Amazing turn!  That's poetry in motion.  Thank you for sharing.

Thanks @pow4ever!!!

3 minutes ago, xy9ine said:

ok, this makes me want to dust off the LB. love the chill carving. 

It's super fun!!! And when done on a better hill, it is what feels the most like carving a snowboard on snow. That board is also tuned for carving.

31 minutes ago, xy9ine said:

i've got a rayne nemesis (drop deck) w/ indys - super low carve puppy. def get similar sb carving vibes. feeling guilt for neglecting the thing.      

Cool! Try wedging the front Indy and dewedging the rear one. It will make it even better.