Note to New Members ×

Total (never on snowboard) beginner carve lessons for female

Kmf

Happy New Year everyone!,

My wife would like to learn how to carve, only problem is she’s never been on a snowboard. 

I would like for her to learn the proper way to carve and avoid some nasty habits that instructors teach at my local mountains (ie: sticking butt out), which are very hard to unlearn.

Until we can get to a carve session, are there any recommended video lessons in English, Korean, or Japanese? English is her third language, and reading doesn’t make total sense to her sometimes. I’ve looked all over, but I’ve come up empty.

Any input (ladies especially) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Get her the basic soft boot lesson or three.  After she can learn how to fall and start to turn then you can put her on carvers and it will come together faster few bad habits.  Google lessons in Korean/Japanese, There might be some videos on here that show Corey showing how to make a C turn/J turn and stop just do one at a time then start to link 2/3 and stop.   Charlie

It is possible.  When I was an instructor, I taught about 5 people how to snowboard in ski boots who had never snowboarded before, including my wife (!!).  Frankly I think they all had an easier time than the poor souls in rental softboots.  However all of them were good skiers, which I think was very important.  I can't imagine teaching someone who has never been in hardboots at all, but I've never tried.

I don't know of any video lessons for a never-ever beginner in hardboots, but you could try to teach her yourself.  The odds are against you, but it could be worth a try if you manage expectations in advance.  My beginner lesson plan went like this:

With the back foot out on a gentle slope, either close to the bottom or close to a flat plateau, repeat each step a few times:

1. skating around on flat ground
  2. skate to glide with back foot on board on flat ground
  3. crab-walk uphill with board across the fall line
  4. heelside sideslip to stop.  Explain this is how you stop on heelside.  Hike back up between tries.
  5. toeside sideslip to stop.  Explain this is how you stop on toeside.
  6. heelside traverse, ride it out to a heelside stop
  7. toeside traverse, ride it out to a toeside stop
  8. point board straight down the fall line, step on board, get a little speed, pressure toe edge and let the board carve into a toeside traverse
  9. same as above on heelside
  10. start with board across the fall line on heelside, step on, heelside sideslip, point board downhill, pressure toe edge into a toeside traverse
  11. same as above starting on toeside
  12. explain how to get on and off the chairlift, and take it up.  Lean forward down the off-ramp!

At the top of the lift, strap/clip in the back foot. Then:

1. Heelside traverse to stop, roll over
  2. Toeside traverse to stop, roll over, repeat as necessary
  3. Heelside sideslip, let board point downhill, pressure toe edge into a toeside traverse, ride it out to a stop
  4. same as above starting on toeside
  5. Heelside traverse, let board point downhill, pressure toe edge into a toeside traverse, ride it out to a stop
  6. same as above starting on toeside
  7. Repeat 5 and 6 without stopping between turns - you are now linking turns, i.e., snowboarding!
  • Like 1

I have taught a few folks and the best way I've found is to put them in the same angles that they would slide down an icy sidewalk.  That way they have an inherent understanding of how to stand with their feet locked in a board and a very neutral center of balance/gravity.  Change later on when they have a better feel for a board.

• Like 2

Wow, all great suggestions. Thanks to all.

I will try Jacks drills with her. We’ll start her off in softies and change her binding angles when she’s ready  

No ski background, 4 days tops.Ryan’s videos are great, we’ll try that too. 

“but you could try to teach her yourself.  The odds are against you, “  That’s an understatement...lol. Reminds me of a sign I saw on a lift years ago... “Friends Don’t Let Friends Teach”. 

Thanks for the video, my wife understands it. 

Thanks again , to everyone 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmf said:

“but you could try to teach her yourself.  The odds are against you, “  That’s an understatement...lol. Reminds me of a sign I saw on a lift years ago... “Friends Don’t Let Friends Teach”. 

Lady in beginner lesson:  "My ex-husband tried to teach me how to snowboard."

Me:  "Were you married to him at the time"

Her:  "Yes"

• LOL 3

7 hours ago, bumpyride said:

I have taught a few folks and the best way I've found is to put them in the same angles that they would slide down an icy sidewalk.  That way they have an inherent understanding of how to stand with their feet locked in a board and a very neutral center of balance/gravity.  Change later on when they have a better feel for a board.

I very purposely rarely give advice but I do suggest the above to determine regular/goofy, if someone asks.    Wearing slippery socks and sliding On a smooth hallway floor = same idea.

*no one I have ever seen do this ends up duck footed.   they end up duck after they make their first trip to the local shop and have a chat w/bro/brahbiff

Edited by davekempmeister
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, Kmf said:

My wife would like to learn how to carve, only problem is she’s never been on a snowboard. 

I would like for her to learn the proper way to carve and avoid some nasty habits that instructors teach at my local mountains (ie: sticking butt out), which are very hard to unlearn.

Until we can get to a carve session, are there any recommended video lessons in English, Korean, or Japanese? English is her third language, and reading doesn’t make total sense to her sometimes. I’ve looked all over, but I’ve come up empty.

Lack of previous snowboard experience might not be a problem, assuming your wife is a hockey player, accomplished gymnast, or classically trained ballerina.

Better yet, all three.

Or if she's largely self taught in a variety of subjects, and has an intuitive sense of space, physical movement, and slippery footing.

And can build a bicycle wheel from scratch. In the dark. With wolves in the background.

If the answer is 'no' to the previous, and neither of you have yet taught the other how to safely and effectively operate a chainsaw, I'd suggest outsourcing the instruction, and also starting on softboots. At this stage, the actual technique is far less important than becoming familiar with moving over snow, both feet awkwardly clamped to one balky platform.

Most funky habits are derived from professional expediency/ignorance, and also the rider being at odds with their equipment; then utilizing the movements available to remain upright and remotely secure.

'Bad' habits persist when better options remain elusive.

Learning to ride, (or ski), is not so much about replicating proscribed movements in hopes of success. It's more about making a never-ending series of non-fatal errors, establishing an incremental path to find harmony where most see conflict.

http://beckmannag.com/softboot-snowboard/instruction

@Aracan introduced one of the better regular/goofy tests a few years back. Courtesy, I think, of the Royal Navy Dive Corps?   

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 2

I'm in the same boat as you, @Kmf. Well almost the same- my partner has 2 'days' snowboarding from 2018. She has also never moved by any means apart from walking and running; no board sports before. The type where you say put your left foot forward and she'll step her right foot back.

I think I'm going to get her some lessons with the non-English speaking race coach who teaches hardboot and softboot snowboarding in Japan.

I think if I try to teach her this time we will end up leaving Japan single! I turn into my dad when teaching with zero patience. Although, I guess It's in his blood since he was part of the Hitler Youth *shrug* I have no excuse.

11 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Royal Navy Dive Corps?

Erm... which country is that from?

4 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

@Aracan introduced one of the better regular/goofy tests a few years back. Courtesy, I think, of the Royal Navy Dive Corps?    

Close enough. I discovered it accidentally during the mandatory health check for a diving course:

Stand with your feet in  a line (toes of one foot touch heel of the other), arms folded, eyes closed. Now hold your balance. You will (probably) notice that this is significantly easier with one foot in front, harder with the other. If it's easier with the left foot in front, you are regular, with the right foot, goofy.

6 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Learning to ride, (or ski), is not so much about replicating proscribed movements in hopes of success. It's more about making a never-ending series of non-fatal errors, establishing an incremental path to find harmony where most see conflict.

I love this on so many levels. 

• Like 1

Corey/Beckmann -- Great stuff!  reminded me of this quote:
Bruce Lee -- “It is not daily increase but daily decrease, hack away the unessential. The closer to the source, the less wastage there is.”
I find it apply very well to running, snowboard and many other thing:

Running:
I started out with so many "fancy gear":  water bottle, heart rate strap, gps, phone, mp3, Gu gel, planning my route, weather and so on and on, to now just short and sneaker.  Don't get me wrong each piece of equipment served it's purpose at some point in time but eventually getting down the bare essential is what worked for me.

Snowboarding:
Plate system, multiple board, boots, binding, constant tweaking and equipment blaming lol....  It's freeing to say "i am not that good at what I do but I am working on changing it and having fun doing it" is very cathartic for me.

Since i am not competing; it's just a personal goal:  "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".  one board, one setting many condition is fun way to challenge one's progression.  Heck it's cyclical; ability to recognized one need a different setup for this particular condition is another form of wisdom.  After all "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". 

I digress On to why not to teach one's SO:
our SO know how "stupid' we can be so in their mind we have 0 credibility.
That perception of credible is so important for "student" to learned.
This is why we could be saying the same thing as instructor but we won't be taken as seriously.  
Throwing money at this particular challenge seems money well spent lol.

http://www.evidencebasedteaching.org.au/teacher-credibility/

• Like 1

Thanks to all,

Before it goes off topic...

Drills, video, basic snowboard instruction and comfort level all great advice. I need to keep it fun for her, otherwise she’ll give up on it.

The Japanese video helped explain everything to my wife. I want her to understand the difference between carving and snowboarding as she knows it (jumps and tricks). The problem is that carving is a small world right now.

If anyone comes across anymore carving videos in Korean or Japanese (or a Korean carving instructor on the east coast),  let me know. I’d really appreciate it. 

Thanks again,

Happy New Year!

57 minutes ago, Kmf said:

I want her to understand the difference between carving and snowboarding as she knows it (jumps and tricks).

This statement raises some concern: Are you forcing her into carving?  Or just hoping to explain why it's fun?  The former will likely lead to resentment - one person's idea of fun rarely matches another's.  

A new snowboarder needs to learn how to get down the mountain with skidded turns, ideally in all four directions (forward toe&heel, switch toe&heel).  Even the highest-level carvers need a good skidded turn.  See racing where they need speed control to make the next gate.  As much as I try to carve everything, it would be suicide to never use a skid for speed control in appropriate situations.  Sometimes stuff doesn't go to plan, and if you can't do a toeside switch skid (for example) your options decrease dramatically.  

A friend's wife is from Texas, had never been on snow at all.  He tried to teach her.  She eventually learned but there were some scary moments.  She was like a fish out of water.  Had no idea how to do anything, not even fall down.  We had to explain things to her that I never had to in any other lesson.  One particular moment that sticks in my head was when she had a very low speed fall (almost from a standstill) that would be pretty routine for anybody experienced in slipping on snow.  She crumpled to the ground in this really strange way that I had never seen before, and in the process tried to rotate opposite of the board and twisted her knee pretty badly.  Fortunately this was many years ago so she was still a relatively young woman and wasn't injured.

Its easy to be a hardbooter, it is much harder to be a carver.

I understand the desire to carve as hard as someone riding hardboots. I have a harder time understanding the goal of getting out of softboots as quickly as possible. Softboots carve extremely well (as seen over and over again in the Softboots Carving worth watching thread) and, especially at lower speeds, are far more forgiving. Hardboots are made to excel when the loads placed on them are high. If the forces the rider can place on the gear are not high enough to flex it properly a lot of bad compensating movements will result. I expect the most ingrained bad habits are going to come from a rider moving to hardboots too early, not from spending too long in softboots.

From personal experience with my wife, keep an open mind that hardboots may not be the answer for you wife's carving needs. My wife can carve in hardboots but much prefers to carve in softboots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kmf said:

I need to keep it fun for her, otherwise she’ll give up on it.

Assuming this is based on past experience(s), would you care to elaborate?

From the sounds of things, you've a plan. However, if you understand past failures (as in, why would an otherwise 'fun' experience turn out otherwise), you're in a better position to avoid similar in the future.

Similarly, consider that it's not so much your duty to 'keep it fun'; rather, you want to avoid making things difficult/unpleasant as you try to be helpful.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, daveo said:

Erm... which country is that from?

One ruled by a monarch?

As Aracan politely illuminated, I erroneously conflated several memories into a singular event. 

Diving? Yes.

Royal Navy? No.

Edited by Beckmann AG

All valid points, thanks for the input. 

To elaborate, she went for a couple of ski lessons two years ago. Afterwards, she admitted she didn’t understand what the instructor was saying half the time. She was a trooper but didn’t really have fun, this discouraged her.

When I suggested snowboarding, she was skeptical because she didn’t think she’s athletic enough. When I showed her some carving videos and explained that it’s not about jumps and halfpipes, she was much more eager. 

I found some Korean videos in the “Softboots Carving worth watching” of female Korean carvers, she liked that a whole lot. Seemed to encourage her a lot.

It’s more about carving than the setup. My plan is to start her off in soft boots, no hard boots for at least a year. If she wants to try hardboots, great. If she wants to continue in softies, great. I’m not pushing her either way, it’s her decision.

I am not trying to force her into carving, I’m just trying to show her that she can do it,  if she wants to. It doesn’t matter if she’s in hardboots or soft boots, as long as she has fun. She just wants to try a sport that I enjoy and spend time together.

Thanks to everyone 

Edited by Kmf