Note to New Members ×

Total (never on snowboard) beginner carve lessons for female

Kmf

41 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

May I suggest this as a way for her to practice...I spent years using one to surf around our house and so...when the Surf showed up, so did I

8510065L.jpg

Does said contraption have a name? I might get this for my partner... 

Bongo’s also almost entirely linear (side to side), and pretty tough for first foray, easy to fall. If you want to incorporate a bit of balance, these wobble boards are good for bringing the core muscles into play, require both side to side and fore/aft balance, and you can’t really fall off of them. After a while you can stand on them while watching TV and you end up balancing unconsciously, which is the whole point.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MTA1ZIX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20 hours ago, b0ardski said:

center of mass traveling over a surface=dynamic balance

not, doesn't

obstacle running or bicycling has more dynamic balance than that board however good for the core

The original poster was asking about "beginner carve lessons":

One of the biggest (and most common) challenges for beginner snowboarders is to be able to engage the uphill edge and maintain enough pressure on that edge to control their speed without falling (e.g. while trying to perform side slipping, traversing, falling leaf or turning).

You can be an expert at obstacle running or bicycling, but that does not directly equate to having the ability (strength/coordination) to balance on the uphill edge of a snowboard and slow it down, or stop when necessary.  I have seen a lot of beginners who were dynamically balanced on a snowboard right up to when they hit the tree or person below them!

The Whirly Board allows you to roll it from side-to-side (toe-side to heel-side and vice versa).  You can stand on it with any foot angles you want (alpine stance-duck stance) and you can move up/down while balancing on it with the board tilted toward a side.  This allows you to experiment with angulation while developing the strength/balance/skills that will be needed to edge a snowboard to a stop without falling.

Dynamic Balance - the ability of an object to balance while in motion or when switching between positions.

Edited by noschoolrider
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Kmf said:

To elaborate, she went for a couple of ski lessons two years ago. Afterwards, she admitted she didn’t understand what the instructor was saying half the time. She was a trooper but didn’t really have fun, this discouraged her.

For what it's worth, I've eavesdropped on plenty of teaching situations; and quite often, what's being said has very little relevance to what needs be done. The teaching industry is heavily reliant on visual instruction, and then explication of same, using codified terms, phrases, and expressions. This serves the needs of the industry, not the needs of the student.

Actual learning, on the other hand, has a lot to do with experiencing, identifying, and relegating sensations. Effective teaching then, establishes a context whereby the student can safely move about in different and relevant ways, then facilitating and affirming useful outcomes in order that they imprint for later use.

One example of this is learning what the end of a turn feels like, and how it's managed, prior to learning turn initiation. So doing, the subject knows where they are going before they get there, which reduces hesitancy, which in turn reduces tension, which in turn improves the ability to manage the interaction between board and surface, thereby enhancing the odds for a favorable outcome.

A favorable outcome in the face of apparent adversity is something of a joy; generally worth repeating.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, b0ardski said:

bongo's good for balance training , not so much for the dynamic balance needed when your COM is traveling above a surface; skating/skateboard/skiing/snowblade all have transferable skills

Just so you are aware of the potential...I rode my Bongo, 45 45 stance all over our house, from bedroom to living room down the hall,  on the carpeting...even pretending to walk to the nose, hang ten, then backpedal and do a cutback, mixed with the skateboard, surfboard, it was another Practice and Practice is what is needed... :biggthump

• Like 1

Does your SO have friend that also want to learn?
Learning in group can be fun.  As they say misery love company.

I take lots of trip with ski club -- it's funny to see how ski/boarding interact with relationship. 
In the dating phase; often only one of the partner in the couple is passionate about winter sport and other one is just there to "support/sharing the passion".
As the relationship progress; the less enthusiast one are perfectly fine just hanging out in the lodge/condo with the other non-ski-boarding partner.
Of course there are couple that ski/board progress together after all it's a ski club.  We also have ski-wife/husband pairing/swap due to delta in skill level and single person find their partner in the club.

Don't force it and have fun!

On 1/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, bumpyride said:

I have taught a few folks and the best way I've found is to put them in the same angles that they would slide down an icy sidewalk.  That way they have an inherent understanding of how to stand with their feet locked in a board and a very neutral center of balance/gravity.  Change later on when they have a better feel for a board.

Absolutely this. This is how I set my first ever stance, and it's never needed to change. If she wants to learn to carve specifically, she'll have to learn to ride forward angles anyway, so might as well start there.

Female rider here, who had a s*** of a time learning to ride. If I can do it, trust me, she can do it. This is what worked for me :

Get her a medium size, full camber board (no rocker). The board doesn't have to be anything great, as long as it will hold an edge, and the longer it is the more edge it will have to hold the carve. Mid 150-ish should do it.

When I learned we were on a very flat hill, hiking up and down, it was so flat (they have magic carpets now, yay)! I learned first to slide down the hill on heel edge, getting some confidence I could at least stop. Then we practiced flat basing, just pointing straight from maybe 30-40 feet up the hill and running out to the bottom, getting used to a little bit of speed and staying relaxed.

Once she has that, toeside was taught as a run out, and then bend knees, go up on to tiptoes and press the edge into the snow - wait for the edge to hook, and ride it around till you stop. Practice that until it's good. Heelside was much harder for me - same idea, bend knees and press heels down to hook that edge, but just way more difficult to do. There's much more body language on heel, cos now you have to turn your shoulders to face the front of the board when you're forward angled. Again, practice until that's good. Then start linking turns by turning the board down the hill before you roll to a stop on either edge.

Also, let her know that all beginners, unless they're gifted, fall on their ass and knees all day every day for what seems like forever, when they're learning to ride. It's generally a painful experience. It's not just her that sucks. Stick with it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, Allee said:

Get her a ..., full camber board (no rocker).

Agree, as camber can enhance spatial awareness.

Also, let her know that all beginners, unless they're gifted, fall on their ass and knees all day every day for what seems like forever, when they're learning to ride. It's generally a painful experience. It's not just her that sucks. Stick with it.

Disagree, as that has not been my experience through the years. Not to say that falling down won't happen, because it will. As in cycling, if you put in enough hours, sooner or later you're going to wrestle the pavement.

The (expected )suffering many go through, is for the most part unnecessary. If care is taken to configure the equipment to the physical needs of the rider, to control/exploit the learning environment, and to introduce each element of riding at the proper pace and in the right order, mishaps of the painful type can be drastically minimized.

• Like 1

Safety gear is always a good choice my preference besides helmet is wrist guards and butt protection mostly because i ride on boiler plate groom. While learning my wife used them as well (good confidence booster). Nothing wrong with a few sessions of carpet carving. Getting up and down in all manner of situations could prove helpful. Be prepared to sweat like crazy from all the effort you will exert as all the muscles in your body do battle. The eureka moments probably won't come quickly but when they do your wife will be really pleased at her accomplishments and if they don't come she has you to blame for it !

On 1/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, Allee said:

Thanks for charming in Allee! 

My experience has shown this to be true. Most of us pretty much sucked when we started (I still do..lol).

I’ll get her some wrist, elbow, knee and booty pads, just not the $70 Arcteryx pair ( do I really need Arcteryx??? Modell’s sports has a wrist, knee, elbow set for $20). 

We are going to ride on Tuesday, start with some drills and take it from there. 

Thank you everyone 

2 hours ago, Kmf said:

just not the $70 Arcteryx pair ( do I really need Arcteryx??? Modell’s sports has a wrist, knee, elbow set for $20).

It's nice to have for sure.  It's designed for telmark ski is what sold me on it.  I had pro-form when I bought it and TBH I won't paid retail/full price for it.
I find most knee pad restricting.  I know people use volley ball knee pad with great success.  Skateboard knee pad are too bulky, same as home depot carpet knee pad. 
My feet/leg are all screw up...

Where are you headed? Have fun and report back on how the collective/wisdom of the crowd do lol. 

57 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

It's designed for telmark ski is what sold me on it.  

Erm.. I think those Arc knees were designed for a military application, right? 

I just use Rehband 7051 7mm knee sleeves. I have a pair of g form knees, but don't think I'll wear them this season. Only wore them for 2 days softbooting. A bit tight.. The rest of my protective gear is poc, and I think it's decent but overpriced.

3 hours ago, Kmf said:

I'll get her some wrist, elbow, knee and booty pads, just not the $70 Arcteryx pair ( do I really need Arcteryx??? Modell’s sports has a wrist, knee, elbow set for $20).

Hey I did the same thing for my partner this year.

Got her a protective jacket and pant set from Demon on sale. Came with knees, butt, elbows, shoulders and spine. Certified to some level. A set of Flexmeter wrist guards and a Vola FIS certified helmet.

Think it cost under 300 all up and now she looks like The Terminator when dressed up :AR15firin

Edited by daveo

One word.. 

SIMULATOR.

Find a snow simulator like http://virtualsnowla.com

This is a pretty low quality one but will still get the job done. Then go to a resort with a simulator (Mountain High in Wrightwood has one ) and the instructor there word with Bill and takes you on the snow. You may not even have a single fall your first day on snow!

Then once you can turn left and right, and skid to a stop come find me. I'll reprogram your riding completely .

I teach carefully  so that EVERY  carve ends up with your gently lying down on the snow. That way you learn how to literally embrace and love  the snow and not have any significant  impact if you have to fall on the snow. I teach that your speed limit is your ability to stop completely  in one carve. And we slowly up that speed within your comfort level. I make you feel what is happening with your boots and knees. 

In the 1990s I made a low friction low impact suit out of a Silver metabolized proximity fire fighting suit and 1.5" thick closed cell foam on the butt and knees (about 10" wide knee strips  the rear was about 20" wide wrap around" that in combo with wrist guards and a helmet and the chick can flail and bail without breaking a nail.

I still have an unused Proximity suit if your have a roll of gaffing tape (super strong duct tape) and some packing foam from computers you could make one of these.

Edited by John Gilmour