Note to New Members ×

Nevin Galmarini - Olympic Gold Medalist PGS 2018!

barryj

Yeah, @Kimo I thought so too. It was unbelievable close and Kosir was ahead until the very end. Its too bad the courses seemed bias for the red side too.

Nevin was riding out of his mind too! I love watching him ride he's so clean in his movements. This vid is one of my all-time favorites, I just love the song played 

39 minutes ago, barryj said:

Kimo.....lets not take anything away from Nevin.........your referring to  the semi between  Kosir and the S. Korean

I'm not talking about Nevin. I'm saying Kosir was robbed in the semis, not that I'm blaming Lee.

Edited by Kimo

38 minutes ago, ThePeonsChamp said:

Yeah, @Kimo I thought so too. It was unbelievable close and Kosir was ahead until the very end. Its too bad the courses seemed bias for the red side too.

Totally agree. I don't follow racing, but it seems to me that if one course is so biased, what's the point of racing? Hoping the racer on the obviously faster course will screw up? That's not the kind of racing I want to spend any of my time watching.

Maybe Dave Winters or Sean Martin would like to weigh in on this.

Edited by Kimo
grammar

17 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Look at it the other way. You accept the course favours the red course. The Korean on blue is essentially a match for Kosir on red in spite of that bias. So Kosir is robbed when the race is awarded to the Korean?

Yeah, I mentioned that on another board. I think if Lee had been on the red course, Lee probably would have beaten Kosir hands down. 

• Like 1

I'm quite the newbie on the parallel slalom racing.. but isn't it usually so that they do 2 runs, to even out the bias?

Great to see that Nevin won, I have watched many of his video's. He is one of those guys that make things look easy.

The only question is at what height is the laser beam ? Your arm is on an angle but the hands are at different levels. Looks like two beams but they don't provide a curtain or wall of coverage. You have to be lucky to place your hand in exactly the right place. I've seen Bond do it many times !

Yeah, the apparent disparity in blue and red courses was very disappointing. Agree with 1xsculler that running the same course for time would have been more fair. Would also like to see courses with more variation: a difficult left turn could be balanced by a difficult right turn to keep things even for both regular and goofy riders. The r/l symmetrical courses are kind of artificial IMO. 

On 2/25/2018 at 8:33 PM, Kimo said:

I don't follow racing, but it seems to me that if one course is so biased, what's the point of racing? Hoping the racer on the obviously faster course will screw up? That's not the kind of racing I want to spend any of my time watching.

Maybe Dave Winters or Sean Martin would like to weigh in on this.

In the qualifier, every racer had one run on each course (red and blue) and their qualifying time was the combined time of those two runs (see the images below).  The racer with the fastest qualifying time got to choose which course they wanted in each final (1/8, 1/4, semi, small & big).

m-pgs-1q.jpg

m-pgs-2q.jpg

l-pgs-1q.jpg

pgs-s.jpg

m-pgs-3.jpg

m-pgs-4.jpg

l-pgs-2.jpg

l-pgs-3.jpg

• Thanks 2

The qualification times for each rider and both courses is interesting data. Haven't done formal stat's on it but it fails an intra-ocular traumatic test for Red course being clearly faster at time of qualifying. 

That said, this race format sure raises the stakes in setting a qualifying time!

It appeared that often the faster of any two riders in qualification chose the Red course for head to head racing. 

So why would they choose Red? Better light? more shade to keep the snow cooler and firmer?  ???? 

Edited by SunSurfer
Correct typo

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

That said, this race format sure raises the stakes it setting a qualifying time!

It definitely does.

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

It appeared that often the faster of any two riders in qualification chose the Red course for head to head racing. 

So why would they choose Red? Better light? more shade to keep the snow cooler and firmer?  ???? 

The majority of the faster qualifying times you see on the Blue course were from the racer's first run.  As more racers ran the courses it became apparent that the Red course was holding up better (the Blue course deteriorated faster).  It looked like the snow was softer in some places on the Blue course.

1 hour ago, noschoolrider said:

In the qualifier, every racer had one run on each course (red and blue) and their qualifying time was the combined time of those two runs (see the images below).  The racer with the fastest qualifying time got to choose which course they wanted in each final (1/8, 1/4, semi, small & big).

Thanks, but that is not at all what I was questioning.

Edited by Kimo

On 2/27/2018 at 1:43 PM, Kimo said:

Thanks, but that is not at all what I was questioning.

In my opinion, the information I posted shows it was a fair race and I thought that information also addressed your question "if one course is so biased, what's the point of racing?".

However, it helps if you understand the importance of the two run qualifiers and then consider the following:  In every pairing in the finals, the racer with the faster qualifying time was in the Red course.  So, from a mathematical (and commonsense) perspective it should be no surprise that approximately 96% of the races (in the finals) were won on the Red course.  That does not prove the Red course had an unfair advantage - it simply shows a logical pattern that the faster racer (from qualifying) won most of the time.

Also, the photo you posted of the semi-final between Kosir (on the Red course) and Lee (on the Blue course) is actually additional evidence that the courses were reasonably equal.  Kosir was the second fastest qualifier (1:24.97) and Lee was the third fastest qualifier (1:25.06).

Then, consider the medal results:

In the Men's event the person with the fastest qualifying time won Gold, the person with the third fastest qualifying time won Silver and person with the second fastest qualifying time won Bronze.

In the Ladies' event the person with the fastest qualifying time won Gold, the person with the third fastest qualifying time won Silver and person with the fifth fastest qualifying time won Bronze.  The second fastest qualifier (Zavarzina) fell in the semi-final and fell in the small-final so she placed fourth.

I watched the entire event and (in my opinion) the race was fair/unbiased.  The bottom line is, the qualifiers are more significant than most people think they are. 

Edited by noschoolrider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2