Note to New Members ×

Close calls

Corey

We have the "injured" thread, this is for the moments where things almost went really bad but didn't. 

--- 

So I'm in a heelside turn about 3/4 of the way through the turn when a skier flies in front of me. Like 1 foot away from the nose of my board. Holy ****! Then his snowboarding buddy hits the nose of my board like a jump a quarter-second later. I slid out, he kept going. 

Scary, as I was going 70-80 degrees to the fall line, and I assume they were straight-lining. :shudder: 

I got up and caught them in the lift line. The guy was sorry, but the kind of sorry after you bumped elbows in a grocery store. I yelled. A lot. 

I had looked uphill two toeside turns ago to an empty run, so they covered a lot of ground in that time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The fact that you checked uphill and they still nearly clocked you out of nowhere is pretty scary.  I was at a small mountain in PA today and while it wasn't crowded for a Saturday, i was looking uphill on every turn (toeside and heelside). Glad you and your board were ok.

Glad you were not seriously hurt...

Both times I have been run over...I have found the patrol to reem their ass, and let them know, next time their pass, ticket is by by...took 2 years to get my neck right with injections, exercises and therapy...it is always the same shit...some kook going fast and thinking that anyone in front of them, needs to get out of their way...the patrol has no problem telling them the code and that now that they know, they better not run into someone else...if you don't report it...then don't expect them, to change their behavior...the Patrol writing their name on a piece of paper, can send a message...or at least show.a trail of irresponsible behavior 

57 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

Glad you were not seriously hurt...

Both times I have been run over...I have found the patrol to reem their ass, and let them know, next time their pass, ticket is by by...took 2 years to get my neck right with injections, exercises and therapy...it is always the same shit...some kook going fast and thinking that anyone in front of them, needs to get out of their way...the patrol has no problem telling them the code and that now that they know, they better not run into someone else...if you don't report it...then don't expect them, to change their behavior...the Patrol writing their name on a piece of paper, can send a message...or at least show.a trail of irresponsible behavior 

I actually have patrol's number in my phone at both of my local areas.  Not just in case someone clocks me, I've seen a few injuries.  People appreciate it.  

But if someone hits you from behind you have every right to pimp slap them.  I'm pretty sure thats in the Skiers Responsibility Code.

• Like 3

Yesterday @ SOS finished our run approaching the lift line still going too fast did the back to back Mombo with Bruce. Our board's clicked his ( latest soft boot board prototype ) I on my Skwal. I live to ride another day. Bruce as gimpy as ever but their going to fix that soon !

I also have had a couple of  "Too" Close Calls carving, literally fabric brushing fabric close!  Both times somebody thought they could cut the corner on me and then surprised when I swing back their way much faster than they imagined! ....and this is on a wide trail with plenty of room but their straightening the middle of the run!

When I catch em in the lift line they were fortunately apologetic and bug eyed with fear that they almost Died!   I still take a pic of them and their board and tell them it's getting reported!   

Softbootsurfer.....here in Tahoe finding  any ski patrol right at the lift is usually impossible ...how do you get the perps to sit there and wait for you to find Ski Patrol???    "found the (ski) patrol to.........."

Haven't been hit in like 18 years (being a low angle softbooter its easy to get a big look uphill on every other toeside). But, technically that ended at Hunter 2 weeks ago when i got hit by a hardbooter (alpine).  Saw this guy ripping all morning and on this run i passed him safely and tucked the last incline to get speed for a 360.  He was way back there but my "3" was not going well so i just stayed off trail once i pointed uphill (skiers right).  So its cool, im safe on the side.   But rider is not carving this section, just straightlining on skiers right.  Im like, turn dude, ok turn,  this is not fun now, turn already. But he is target fixated (or more likely caught with an alpine board flat on her base) and he's a coming dead at me.  So just before a head-on strike he kinda lunges to his left (with a yelp too)  and its enough for our bodies to miss but our boards actually  "ticked".  No damage.  Guy was doing like 20-25 mph and it would have hurt a lot !!  Next run i saw him on lift line and apologized for my unexpected move.  We both took it in good humor.  He had quality gear, good rider, euro accent i believe.  Probably reading this right now! 

I dont consider it a hit.  Just a "close call" story. And, yes, i know the antiquated skiers code ?.

On an easy trail around 100 feet wide (it's all we have here and therefore, sadly, all I'm competent on).  An instructor is about 15 feet from the edge of the trail watching his student doing slow turns near the center of the trail.  Courteously, I decide to do a heelside turn between the instructor and the trees to give the student lots of room.  But at the last minute, the instructor starts leaning on his poles pushing himself backwards toward the trees, closing the gap, without looking up hill.  I yelled which he didn't hear, straightened out the turn and and ended up riding over the tails of his skis.

A decade or so ago I was lucky enough to be out riding with Chris Prior (RIP) at Beaver Creek during SES. We were on a wide run making lazy GS turns, Chris was a few turns ahead of me and had just dropped over a rise to the steeper section of the run. Just as he went out of sight, out of the corner of my eye a skier, straightlining down the run, flew by me and dropped over the rise. As I came over the rise, I was horrified to see Chris sitting on the snow, on heel edge at a dead stop, with a pair of skis, still side by side, under his board.... Maybe 60 feet down the hill was the skier face down, head downhill, neither were moving quickly. I checked out Chris who seemed a bit dazed but alright,  moved down to the skier who had headphones on with the volume so loud that the sound drowned out his moaning. He looked to be in his late 50's, no blood or body parts out of place. I tried to assess him and after about 2 questions, he got up and got angry. I tried to keep him sitting and calm but he immediately went into battle mode, told me he was going to kill the both of us and that his kids were on the hill and that we were a threat to his children. He then started hiking back up the hill to berate Chris, I tried continued to try to calm him but was preparing for what was looking to be a physical confrontation. Just as he made it up to Chris, patrol arrived and was able to talk the guy down.

• Like 1

Was on a narrow part of a trail with my speed in check when a skier in front of me turns abruptly into my path of travel.  I know that I am going to collide with him, my board is totally sideways with full edge pressure, snow is firm/ slick.  I bear hug him and wrap him up, pulling him down on top of me and we slide off the trail into soft snow.  Thankfully, no injuries.  I asked if he was alright, and apologized for hitting him.  I asked him if he wanted ski pratrol and he said no that he was ok.  I apologized again and offered to buy him a beer later at the bar. I try to keep that incident in mind when riding.  Sometimes there are going to be some contact when there is no way to avoid someone.

7 hours ago, Wolf said:

On an easy trail around 100 feet wide (it's all we have here and therefore, sadly, all I'm competent on).  An instructor is about 15 feet from the edge of the trail watching his student doing slow turns near the center of the trail.  Courteously, I decide to do a heelside turn between the instructor and the trees to give the student lots of room.  But at the last minute, the instructor starts leaning on his poles pushing himself backwards toward the trees, closing the gap, without looking up hill.  I yelled which he didn't hear, straightened out the turn and and ended up riding over the tails of his skis.

7 hours ago, lowrider said:

Wolf do you realize you just plead guilty of a death sentence violation of responsibility code ? How did the discussion go afterward ?

I'm not sure how I was guilty on that one, but in any event, I could have done things differently to avoid the close call..  The instructor was standing still with his skis across the fall line, and started moving without looking uphill.  Plus he moved backwards which was entirely unexpected.  He didn't actually start skiing backwards, he just started pushing on his poles without thinking about it.  I'm looking at this item in the code:

• Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

I waited for the instructor at the lift (just a couple of hundred feet down the trail), figuring he'd be looking for me.  But I never saw him again.  A friend who is also an instructor there tried to find out who it was with no luck - so maybe it didn't register with him that I nearly hit him. 

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1

Once anyone is on the hill below me moving or not  i consider them as having right of way . If i decide to overtake them which  i usually do it's on me if i collide even if they are taking up most of the hill in their unpredictable way.  Is skiing like driving where the merging car must yield to traffic ? In most cases probably but i suppose his argument would be that they start and stop at will all day long when giving lessons so i should expect erratic movement. On our local bump all instructors wear blue jackets so my spider  sense is stay the hell away from blue jackets and anyone clustered or near them.  If a car slows in front of me i had better be ready  to do the same !  Is  unexpected a legal term to avoid liability ?  In any event he certainly was not setting a very good example of playing safe . It was a cluster  **** on the hill today and all movement was unexpected !

Having to toe edge carve up on to a 2 foot high solid snow bank that empty pomas return back down the indoor slope is probably my closest. Having to duck the empty pomas at speed was somewhat heart stopping. The carve line was there for a few good weeks since that's an area of the slope that isn't groomed by the cat i kept getting asked by staff if it was me and what happened, (had to avoid a jerry that hooked up a run away train of a carve and couldn't get out of it). If i had screwed up i was either cuddling a lift stantion, an empty poma, a poma with someone on it, the wall or jerry neither of which would have been pleasant.

Edited by scottishsurfer
  • Like 1

Glad you weren't hurt, Corey! I would have yelled a lot at them too!  Softbootsurfer makes a good point tho that they likely won't change their behaviour if there are no punitive measures beyond a public scolding.

I had a very similiar close call. But I was the bad guy, riding across the front of a guy's skis. That's when I learned to never ever ever go over a ridge on my toeside (esp. with my flatter angles), having my back toward the downhill slope beyond the ridge!

My most unique close call was 25 years ago as a beginning skier - just good enough to be dangerous... (yeah, also my fault). So I'm approaching this ridge where all the skiers stand to assess the steep descent. I guess I was target fixiated, and slid into this gal, knocking her off her feet. She landed on me and I was on my back with my left arm under her thighs and my right under her shoulders. At that point I realized I'd knocked her over the edge, and that we were sliding down. She rode me like an innertube for a good 200 meters, as I was apologizing and asking if she was ok, and explaining (with my poor German) how embarrassed I was and that my wife was probably watchings us...  Neither of us lost a ski or pole, so all was good!  :-)

Cheers,
David

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D.Roe said:

She rode me like an innertube for a good 200 meters, as I was apologizing and asking if she was ok, and explaining (with my poor German) how embarrassed I was and that my wife was probably watchings us...  

Gold! :)

Awesome stories. I'm guessing there are many more in the wings, bring them out! 

Upon closer inspection, I have a big black mark on the side of my boot and my TD3 cant ring is bent. The little pocket where the E-ring shows through was pounded almost flat. Holy crap. If I wanted to lose sleep at night, I'd think about how things would have went differently if he was a foot to his right. 

Ok.......here's another one.   I apologize upfront,  it's a little longwinded to set up the plot~

This is totally on me..nobody else involved.   Carving back East at Cannon Mtn. in NH  This was years ago....... I was on an Volant  168?, which had a lot of pop.    So literally on the last run of the last lift of the day as I was hauling ass back down to the lodge on a progressively narrow trail I hooked a much  tighter than usual heelside turn and when almost out of the turn the board released all that extra energy, which I wasn't ready for and  launched me sideways....towards the woods.......sliding on my back....head first......at Mach I!        

So not only are there a ton of trees that line the trail....there's was also an old length of steel water main that runs parallel to the trail - this pipe was 1 ft+ in diameter that ran for 100 yards or more (this was a leftover from the early years of snowmaking) and this length of pipe is no more than 14 inches off the ground!

Ok....back to the story.....I'm rocketing towards the woods headfirst, on my back,  at Mach I,  can't see whats coming but I know I'm headed towards the trees and that length of Pipe!............. and I know this  ain't gonna be good!   .......Did I Mention I'm Not Wearing A Helmet!!  

I can feel getting shot off the trail, flying out of control towards sudden death and am expecting some ungodly impact...........and then, all of a sudden I stop very abruptly... like something just grabbed me!!!

I expect to feel some ungodly pain.....but nothing, so I look up and my body is totally underneath the water pipe and I am  on the other side of the pipe and my board is wedged up flat against the farside/trailside of the pipe!   So I'm sitting there realizing I'm one lucky mofo!   and at the ridiculous odds of  my body shooting under the 14 inches of clearance of the pipe and it was my board smacking up against the pipe that stopped me!!!      At this point blood starts trickling down my face.................ok that's not good!...............so I apply pressure with one hand,  reach over the pipe to release my toe  bails and crawl out from under the pipe.    I stand up....still in utter belief..........I mean I couldn't have aimed  any better even if I Had seen what was coming while I was flying through the air!!

So I crawl out of the woods get back on my board and head down to ski patrol.   Now if you know anything about head/scalp wounds, you know they bleed... a lot!  So by the time I walk into ski patrol at the base lodge it's after closing and no other guests are around and I'm covered in blood and  look like I escaped from a Friday the 13th Jason movie!!   I walk in the Patrol shack door and the 3 or 4 patrolers just freeze.......      I think I say something like...Uh, I think I got a prob....and before I can get the whole sentence out they all pounce on me and wrestle me onto a examination table!

Turns out when my whole body shot under the 1ft. diameter pipe that was 14 inches off the ground my head skimmed the bottom of the pipe and i got a perfectly straight 5 inch superficial scalp laceration that took  20? or 30? stitches!

When I told the Patrolers what happened (while they were dressing my wound for the trip to the ER) they couldn't believe it!...... but were adamant that Not wearing a Helmet that day saved my life because the extra girth/height of a helmet would not of cleared that pipe and that would have been,  Snap!  Game Over For Me!!            So if a cat's got nine lives, this cat definitely lost one that day!!

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1