Note to New Members ×

Close calls

Corey

Nice sequence.  Guy in front should be looking before he engages that turn, dude behind should give some more room?  Almost a trip to the hospital with that hand plant and other guys board.  What was the verbal exchange after the fact?  "Love your white pants, just wanted to see who makes them?"

• Like 1

Out at Wachusett last Saturday afternoon I was on Challenger when, as I finished a heelside turn, a pint-sized kid straightlining it in full tuck position flashed across my path about a foot in front of the nose of the board.  We were taking our third run in a row down Challenger because it was so gloriously empty compared with everywhere else on the hill.  My wife said she saw him but didn't see us nearly collide.  I figured he aired it off a drop which would have made me invisible, and didn't think I'd be so far across the hill when he landed.    Not sure that either of us would have been hurt given that he was so small, but I'm guessing I would have taken the blame being the adult and a snowboarder.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to resurrect this thread but in case anybody was in danger of getting complacent late in the season...

Thursday was awesome weather and it was my wife's birthday so I took a half day off and we went up to the local.  I was having a blast on the SL board and only taking up about 1/3 of the width of the trail.  I got to sneak a look up hill every 4 or so turns and there was nobody above me on the hill except a group of 4 older gents that were just larking about.  I had just dropped down onto a steep section in the middle of a toe side turn and began transitioning to heel side.  As my head and shoulders came into about the 10 o'clock position I heard and felt a little *click* on the front of my board.  I looked back over toward the front of the board and saw a pretty burly guy (who had just ridden over my board) barreling towards the edge of the trail practically sitting on the backs of his skis.  It ended in a serious yard-sale.  I pushed on over and collected his skis and was prepared to engage him in a lively discussion about the finer points of skivett regler (the Norwegian version of the skier code), but he was in a really bad way.  I called ski patrol and tried talking with the guy to evaluate how he was holding out, but he was obviously concussed and was going to need some stitches.  SP got the guy and picked up on the concussion pretty quickly.  They sent him off to the hospital for observation.  My Kessler got hacked pretty good a couple centimeters in front of my front boot, and while it was already pretty bad for him, a fraction of a second and the whole thing could have been a complete catastrophe for everybody.  Still feeling kinda weird about the whole thing today.

I sent the following picture to Kessler to hear their evaluation of the condition of the board, but not sure if I'll hear anything back.  Does anybody here have a gut feeling on the board?  Kinda worried about the sharp notch carved into the metal sheet if this will prematurely fatigue and crack/delam.  I got the guy's contact info from one of his buddies in case the board is a total write off, but given his current condition I'd just prefer to leave him alone if the damage is purely cosmetic.IMG-3557.thumb.JPG.f4a1c4ca8e62e113fa32984de28c009d.JPGIMG-3556.thumb.JPG.df5e927744740ceedabc014f0dfec402.JPG

Stay vigilant, check-six!

That's a pretty precise-looking slice.  Nice chip formation.  I'm glad that wasn't your shin!  

I've had a Coiler with a healthy nick in the top sheet and titanal for about 7 years.  It's still going strong.  Ideally you'd find a way to round out the root of the gouge, but that looks tough to do.  If it does fail, it'll likely be after many years of fatigue damage.  

Witnessed a  collision last week at the local bump. Ski racer going at it like there was no tomorrow  going the wrong way through a traverse  between two runs. This particular traverse was near the end of the run so pretty good speed was involved . Kid impacts buddy on his SL Kessler  clipping front toe of boot and grazing kneecap  Both riders exploded with equipment flying everywhere. Interestingly the front pad on his F2  binding was ejected from under the toe piece so it gives you an idea of the forces involved .  Chunk of titinal gouged out but not to the same extent. Not sure this one could nave been prevented like having a car come at you on a single lane one way street. Is it open season on Kesslers ?

Edited by lowrider
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, st_lupo said:

sharp notch carved into the metal sheet

I agree that this is an unfortunate but ultimately cosmetic blemish, and like Corey am relived that it was your board not your shin. 

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

Witnessed a  collision last week at the local bump. Ski racer going at it like there was no tomorrow  going the wrong way through a traverse  between two runs. This particular traverse was near the end of the run so pretty good speed was involved . Kid impacts buddy on his SL Kessler  clipping front toe of boot and grazing kneecap  Both riders exploded with equipment flying everywhere. Interestingly the front pad on his F2  binding was ejected from under the toe piece so it gives you an idea of the forces involved .  Chunk of titinal gouged out but not to the same extent. Not sure this one could nave been prevented like having a car come at you on a single lane one way street. Is it open season on Kesslers ?

So, ski patrol revoked this kid’s pass right? I mean ... I know the mountains tend to turn a blind eye on a lot of the arrogant bs that racers pull on the slopes (as their rich parents dump money into the mountain), but surely this is over the line?

• 3 weeks later...

First incident this year...

I check uphill, make a couple of turns and then a heelside straight into a skier passing on my right.  I glance off his side/back.

I biff on my front and face and slide down the hill on my chest for a while.  The skier isn't knocked over and keeps going downhill.

I get up, go straight to the lift and  chew out my "friend" at the lift line for: A) leaving the accident  B) not skiing under control, and not giving the skier below the right of way.

His buddy says I turned into him and that I should look up.  I tell him I do/did look uphill and I am the downhill skier and that you do not leave the scene of an accident.  The perpetrator is apologetic and makes no argument in his defense.

At the top of the lift his other friend, an off duty ski patrol apologizes to me, says I had quoted the skier's code correctly, he will have a talking with the perpetrator and asks if there's anything they could do to make it up to me.  I tell him his apology goes a long way toward that.  I wasn't hurt (small black eye) and so I let it go.

I not so amped about the collision...it was that he  kept going after the crash that got my blood going.  As I explained to the patrol, it is a hit and run.  What if it were a kid, or if it was a serious injury?

Owning up to his mistake helped.

This is the part of carving I wish were not an issue.

Edited by rjnakata
grammar!

A couple of weeks ago on my local bump I turned in the empty lift line to head back up the hill.  The lift line has a 90-degree dogleg to the left towards the loading area. As I stopped at the inside of the 90 to release my binding a skier comes blasting thru the line, makes the 90-degree turn, skies up to the loading area, jumps onto a chair and off he goes. I looked up to see a ski patrol skier in the chair.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:29 AM, rjnakata said:

that got my blood going

I followed the douche bag up the lift and found him leaning on his poles engrossed in a conversation with three other ski patrollers. I tap him on his shoulder and he turns around and gives me an up and down stare ending with a “what the f#@k do you want” look.

I said loud enough for all four to hear:       “I was in the lift line unfastening my bindings when a skier came flying thru and onto a chair without stopping.”

He gives me a dumb stare.

I then said:     “Who might that be?

He Replied:     “Me”

I then said:      “Is that the kind of behavior you should be demonstrating to all the kids on the hill?”

He replied: “Fair enough”

It was only after I looked down on his coat and saw a metal ski patrol badge pined to his chest did I realize that I just talked to Barney Fife.

IMG_4619.PNG.73879df293947627cde6323b0ec658a0.PNG

Edited by Chouinard
Added photo for clarity.
  • Like 1