Note to New Members ×

carver vs non carver perspective

pcABQ

If the uphill person does not like the way the downhill person is riding, the uphill person has 3 choices.

1) follow behind at a safe distance

2) pass if possible in a safe manner

3) stop in a safe spot, and let the downhill person have the run,  then they will have their run. 

realizing things get a bit tricky when it gets crowded. 

One way to look at this is rules of the road when driving automobiles,  and how your insurance company will settle a claim.  you hit some one from behind, you are 100% at fault, no matter how they were driving or weaving in front of you.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wolf said:

I've had the same comments about taking up too much hill and being too hard to pass.  Been hit from behind three times.  But I've also had comments that make me smile.  I'm a newly retired weekday-only rider now, and have had weekday regulars tell me "we know exactly what you're going to do and it's no problem to give you room".  

Same for me,  the mon thru fri regulars all get to know one another as the years go by.  For a few years I would  get negative comments, ( reply=they groom it every night) but after some time,  everyone gets along. 

Here's another take on this.

As I was sitting on the side of the trail trying to catch my breath a pure s###nozzle (technical term) decided it would be fun/cool/neat to ride right up the side and jump over my board.

Many many thoughts crossed my mind, most of those included my fist in his face but I ended up completely ignoring him. I guess he would have liked a "you expletive" comment. Probably would have made his day but honestly I was way too tired and didn't feel like giving him the time of day. I just rode away and didn't see him for the rest of the day. Guess what? I had an awesome time and didn't get hurt.

Point is we are constantly surrounded by idiots on many levels. Some don't know the code and some don't care. Being "right" is a stupid goal. The lawsuit is small consolation when you're missing the season because of an injury. Be safe, wait until the run is empty and just let the idiots go away.

Basically don't mess with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Like 9

Being Devil's Advocate:

Yes, it is the uphill guy's fault in these collision.  However, we do take up a disproportionate amount of space on the hill, and when it is crowded it is irresponsible of us to continue to use up a lot of space on the slope.  Either wait until it is clear to carve, or change your turn style to use up less space.  It won't kill you to make some short swing turns for a while, or to wait on the side for a clear moment.

• Like 4

I don't know how many of you are motorcycle riders- but I think it's wise to use the same applied anticipatory-type thinking on the hill as we do on bikes.  If i'm above and someone is skiing/boarding erratically, you can never assume what they're gonna do so must always anticipate your own moves and/or "exit" plan.  Target-fixation (as someone mentioned above) is a real thing, and I think many collisions occur because of it as well.  

• Like 1

Once when I was doing the “First Tracks” program at Whistler, I had a skier come up to me as we were in the lift line and say. “Are you the one making those deep ruts on the run? You should stop doing that, they are really dangerous!”

”Tell you what,”I replied, “How about I stop making those trenches on the slopes, when you guys stop making moguls?”

He thought about that for a second, shrugged his shoulders and laughed and said, “Good point!”.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Corey said:

our type of riding seemingly defies physics to the average slope user.  

I agree. Our type of riding is a pure application of physics. The average slope users misunderstanding or ignorance of physics is what leads to skidding, straight lining, etc. without thought to pending consequences. They are reacting to their environment whereas we are planning our future path as we descend the pitch.

17 minutes ago, Mellow Yellow said:

come on digger.... S-l-e-w f-o-o-t..... they don't slew foot in SLC????

Wow! I still don’t get it. 

Is it like when you run into a drunk tweeker in Aspen and your Bros step up to help defend the honor of your lady (His Bitch)after she has disrespected the Homies?

Plus they kind of do things differently here in Utah.

Edited by digger jr
  • Like 1

On the skiers code topic...  6 weeks ago I was killin' it on my Virus skis having an epic day. As I was transitioning my next turn I gave a look over my shoulder and...

BAM.

A Texas novice snowboarder, who was sitting in the shadows next to the trees, pushed off without looking... right in front of me. All I could do is throw myself to the side. I think my right ski went between his feet. I took him out pretty hard but he was not hurt. Me: concussion, fractured right thumb, serious ankle sprain and major MCL damage. MRI coming in a few days to see how bad, possible ACL Who knows...  In my mind it is clearly his fault for not looking uphill before entering a trail perpendicular to the trail/fall line, but, according to the skiers code it is my fault. According to Trace I was going 50 MPH

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, digger jr said:

Wow! I still don’t get it. 

Is it like when you run into a drunk tweeker in Aspen and your Bros step up to help defend the honor of your lady (His Bitch)after she has disrespected the Homies?

Plus they kind of do things differently here in Utah.

Now you get it!

Hope you and your B are well my friend! :biggthump

Edited by Mellow Yellow

2 hours ago, monodude said:

On the skiers code topic...  6 weeks ago I was killin' it on my Virus skis having an epic day. As I was transitioning my next turn I gave a look over my shoulder and...

BAM.

A Texas novice snowboarder, who was sitting in the shadows next to the trees, pushed off without looking... right in front of me. All I could do is throw myself to the side. I think my right ski went between his feet. I took him out pretty hard but he was not hurt. Me: concussion, fractured right thumb, serious ankle sprain and major MCL damage. MRI coming in a few days to see how bad, possible ACL Who knows...  In my mind it is clearly his fault for not looking uphill before entering a trail perpendicular to the trail/fall line, but, according to the skiers code it is my fault. According to Trace I was going 50 MPH

No, about 50-50% fault. Code calls that you need to look before starting or merging, but also says the uphill thing... 

19 hours ago, digger jr said:

?

It is a penalty in hockey when another player pushes your skates out from under you from behind.

in my case the instructor on skis did a hockey stop and pushed my board out from underneath me from behind. Luckily he was there to cushion my fall. ?

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2018 at 5:37 PM, slopestar said:

We only need 10 feet. 5 below and 5 above. I’m sick of this shit. Really and have made it loud and clear in Loveland management and patrol’s ears. Head on a swivel, and all of the other obvious prevention techniques are just not working. Education is key and it’s the Mountains responsibility to educate. 

The Skier Responsibility Code is great, but it only appeals to the tiny chunk of our brains that is rational. It doesn't count for much when the unconscious brain is in the driver's seat (e.g., "This is friggin' awesome!" or "Oh s***, where did that dude come from?!?"). As a possible solution, Loveland could boil The Code down to a simple rule of thumb that I use with our leaders when the company leadership framework is just a bit too complicated: "Just try not to be such an a**hole all the time."

19 hours ago, Chouinard said:

19 hours ago, Chouinard said:

It is a penalty in hockey when another player pushes your skates out from under you from behind.

I guess is should be embarrassed not knowing that since I was born and raised in Minnesota. Thanks for explaining.

• Like 1