Note to New Members ×

What is your inspirational video?

jatkinson

Hi All,

I like to watch carving videos the night before a day on the mountain. I find myself coming back to the same video over and over. 

Wondering what the collective feels is the ultimate carving video to get pumped up before heading out  

For me it is https://youtu.be/MC7HWs3kPjs

Interested in others to check out 

Cheers,

JJ

• Like 3

There is many more carving plug ins 

Have a watch and follow the lead on the Japanese.

Completely different riding  style. Really really like it.

That Sigi video is part of Installer 11. Nevin has a great part on that video as well but can't find it on tube. 

Edited by slapos
  • Like 1

What a fun topic and excuse me for being long-winded and drifting into tangents. Years ago, my only exposure to hard boot boarding was Bauer and Nerva, in Burton or Warren Miller flicks, or Damian Sanders doing double bone-out stale fish grabs. For me, neither was appealing. There had to be a sweet spot. Then I saw 'Northern Rage' at a skate shop. That flick connected the dots. Thank you VHS(and now, YouTube). In part one, hard boots are in the first seven minutes. In part two, hard boots are on-and-off the entire video. The Sanders' video isn't very long. ***bonus: Can anyone name the game show Sanders was on(I can't find a video of it, on the 'net) ?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I wouldn't change a thing.

Mid 1990's, Pure Cave, Aspen. You can learn a lot watching these guys. Non-aggressive fluid style, with power, and grace, completing turns and mixing it up. Feels a lot more relaxed compared some of the current videos, taking the time to complete some turns. 50 minutes long, two old video tapes converted to digital, so some loss of image quality. 

• Like 3

Bigwavedave, love the video, chatted to Joe Turner. (Purecarve team rider video 2) at the top of the Tiehack chair the week before ATC 2017. Love the forward facing stance, both heel and toeside, almost all of the riders use. I aim to ride the same way.

Anyone know of 'Shredwood Hoods', from the very early nineties?  It had some great 'just off Piste' late-season carving over wind-packed wavelets...Also, I should note Mark Fawcett, or Jeremy Jones (not the Burton Jones, but the Carabasset graduate Jones that now makes boards under his own name), and, Rocket Reeves...

3 hours ago, Technick said:

Technick:  Velvet Pro Extreme Carving videos...

Nice !!  2 thumbs up !! makes me want to dust off my alpine gear again :).  I like extreme carving only when it comes natural (from g-forces) not not some contrived dive for the snow (which is the case with soft boot carving).  Ok, god can do it on a hero day.  But you know, everybody else can't  :)

Videos.....Hmm     Back in the day..........I thought  Chris Karol was a living legend and "Don't Pat The Dog" was the ruling video and style of the day - 

Later this photo from 2001 of Mark Fawcett was and still is  inspirational: 

MarkFawcett.jpg

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Work went crazy and I haven't had time to check in until now (bad website!). 

I love the variety, but can't get my head around those narrow stances and body positions of the 90s videos.

I am now all set to go rip up Whistler tomorrow. Cheers

On 4/3/2017 at 10:17 AM, bigwavedave said:

Mid 1990's, Pure Cave, Aspen. You can learn a lot watching these guys. Non-aggressive fluid style, with power, and grace, completing turns and mixing it up. Feels a lot more relaxed compared some of the current videos, taking the time to complete some turns. 50 minutes long, two old video tapes converted to digital, so some loss of image quality. 

Ha.  I probably watched those videos a hundred times back in the day, then in the late '90's I made the pilgrimage to Buttermilk.  After a run one day, a guy approached me in the lift line with a camera- turned out to be Cliff Ahumada.  We rode the lift up, chatted, and he asked me if he could film me making some turns on my skinny Mistral.  The footage ended up in "Carve On", Cliff's third carving film.  I was pretty honored to have the guy whose boarding I'd tried to emulate for years ask to film me.

Edited by Freezer
sp
  • Like 1